Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

That's one of the best arguments with the facts ever!

The Pars game is the exception this season surely? They have also handed Brechin, ICT and St Mirren their posteriors, they're top of the league and they have scored 21 goals in the process.

I don't see how an away game at Livi is a better gauge of form than the preceding 7 games either! 

I was merely attempting to provide some nuance and interpretation Wilf.  Ignoring the abysmal League Cup showing, Sons have made a very decent start to the league campaign, but let's not get carried away just yet.  Having said that, Brechin must view a seven point gap as concerning even at this early stage.

No matter, the Falkirk situation might enforce changes off the pitch.

I was merely attempting to provide some nuance and interpretation Wilf.  Ignoring the abysmal League Cup showing, Sons have made a very decent start to the league campaign, but let's not get carried away just yet.  Having said that, Brechin must view a seven point gap as concerning even at this early stage.
No matter, the Falkirk situation might enforce changes off the pitch.

Yes agreed. Although when I checked earlier, Stevie's name hadn't been mentioned on the Falkirk thread. Hopkin, Hartley, Presley and Hughes all have been mentioned. Stevie might do well to remember Ian Murray's move to St Mirren.
I don't think I get carried away. I just don't get too disappointed with poor league cup runs and savour better days when they come along. It's a microcosm of how I live and it's worked so far!

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

The last three home games have finished 2-1 to Sons after conceding early goals, and in truth if each of the visiting teams had made it 2-0 we'd likely have been beaten, glasses half full or not.  We weren't though and all credit to the players for digging out a result on each occasion

It's not that long (months as opposed to years) since we were all saying that if we went 1 down, it was game over, so now being able to get our shit together at 0-1 has to be an improvement.

Couple of good things from the club on the OS. First the pricing from the Stranraer game, which is seriously attractive. Hopefully we can get a few extra folk along for some Friday night entertainment. Secondly the wee fixtures poster to fire up at work/on Facebook/Twitter etc, it might not add anyone extra to the attendance, but the more material out there, the more chance we have of attracting a few extra folk along.

There's some differing view points out there as to how we're doing, but as I said in the ICT match thread, I'd have ripped my arm off for where we are now before a ball was kicked.

It would seem that some appear to place high importance on comparing how much better or otherwise we are from last season, the start of last season etc. For me it's more important about where we are now and picking up points. Yes our squad may have been 'better' than currently, but we're currently six points ahead of the relegation play-off spot (closer to the promotion play-offs at the moment in fact) and seven (7) ahead of our probable closest season rivals, Brechin City.

How we play, how the squad looks compared to last season or any other time or pretty much anything else really, pales into insignificance when it's compared to points gained, and we're gaining a fair few just now. And long may it continue.

As far as Aitken is concerned, I wouldn't grudge Falkirk making an approach (I don't think they will for what it's worth) or Aitken for going, should that circumstance occur.

He has done and continues to do a grand job overall. Yes there's lots he and the club overall could do better, and I'm sure he'd admit that he has done and still does, make mistakes, but what we're currently doing is a huge achievement so there's bound to be vultures circling when other managers get their jotters.

Couple of good things from the club on the OS. First the pricing from the Stranraer game, which is seriously attractive. Hopefully we can get a few extra folk along for some Friday night entertainment. Secondly the wee fixtures poster to fire up at work/on Facebook/Twitter etc, it might not add anyone extra to the attendance, but the more material out there, the more chance we have of attracting a few extra folk along.

Fair play to the club. Those are really decent prices. The kids under 12 for free especially. Although for younger kids a night game might not really suit but it does for us older kids. I'm really looking forward to this.

I'll print off they posters as well and display them in the notice board at work. That's quite a good shout from the club. Hopefully the attendances can start to creep up again with recent results on the park and some improved PR. No locks in on sat[emoji6].

Just now, squeezeboxson said:

If Aitken were to go, would you take McIntyre as next gaffer? Not saying he'd take it but he might fancy coming back to Dumbarton.

Thought that myself. I would 100% go for him if he'd fancy it, especially given how uninspiring most of the other out of work names are. 

I don't think County would suit Stevie geographically, nor do I think they'd be interested in him, however with this and the Falkirk job now up for grabs I am a little bit anxious we might lose him. I can see the appeal in both vacancies and, I dare say, if I was him I think I'd certainly express an interest in both.

I'm not too worried that Stevie will be wanted by either club or would even want to go, it's the knock on effect of these vacancies that's more worrying for me. If for example the St.mirren or Morton jobs were to become vacant I'm sure Stevie would bite your hand off for them and I'm sure both of these clubs would bite your hand off for Stevie if they ended up with a managerial vacancy.

35 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Thought that myself. I would 100% go for him if he'd fancy it, especially given how uninspiring most of the other out of work names are. 

I don't think County would suit Stevie geographically, nor do I think they'd be interested in him, however with this and the Falkirk job now up for grabs I am a little bit anxious we might lose him. I can see the appeal in both vacancies and, I dare say, if I was him I think I'd certainly express an interest in both.

That was my thinking. I don't actually think Stevie would go to Ross County. But even if he went to Falkirk I'd like to think JM would be considered.  As you say, there's not much else that would inspire me if we were to be searching for a new manager anytime soon.

14 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

That was my thinking. I don't actually think Stevie would go to Ross County. But even if he went to Falkirk I'd like to think JM would be considered.  As you say, there's not much else that would inspire me if we were to be searching for a new manager anytime soon.

Really ?  There is one Alistair McCoist who quietly but very effectively kept Rangers in The Championship, and he also has a long experience of working with Ian Durrant.  Surely worth a shout, or even a Cry, no ?

1 minute ago, Frank Quitely said:

Really ?  There is one Alistair McCoist who quietly but very effectively kept Rangers in The Championship, and he also has a long experience of working with Ian Durrant.  Surely worth a shout, or even a Cry, no ?

That would certainly be one way to achieve plenty of publicity in the Glasgow press. I'm sure Your Radio and Turnberry Homes would welcome that!

46 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

He has plenty Gardening leave experience. Maybe he could help the guys look after the pitch?