Sons' sorrow

That second half performance today was really enjoyable. The first half was as drab and miserable as things get, but fair play to Stevie and the players , they (along with some suspect refereeing calls) managed to really get a decent atmosphere going in the home end.

6 hours ago, sons'r'us said:

I see young McCorie is starting today. What a change from the type of games he played in end of last season. Is this another indication if our ability to aid development of players?

Course it is, we're at a decent level for young, up & coming talent from bigger Clubs, to get a chance to find their feet.

You can go all the way back to Neil Collins, getting a chance with Sons, and then moving onto Sheff Utd, Sunderland & the USA through to Kane, Urquhart, Lindsay, Thomson, Stanton, McCrorie etc etc. Dare say Froxy will also move on sadly.

It's where we are at and its worked well for all concerned tbh.

Fair play to the boys, we've not showed up for 90 minutes in the last 2 games and still taken maximum points. Hats off. We have clear problems that need addressed but whilst the results land we can forgive the performances. The shape needs to improve, and our plan of attack needs to be better than "let's try hard", but I'm a happy Son right now.

Ok, so I'm a glass half full guy (but only if the bottle is on the other side of the room).

However, Here's a comparison between our first seven games this season and the first seven last season. We have played four at home this season and last season it was four away. Of course stats can only provide information for analysis and there's little room for nuance or interpretation. However, by application of Occam's razor I think these stats may challenge the thought that we are in any way close to pre-Bonnyrig territory. They might question the notion that Scott Gallacher is quite as much of a bomb scare as some would believe. They might provide some evidence that our home form has improved. They could reasonably be used to show that we have learned how to achieve a victory even when having gone behind in a match.  They may lend weight to the theory that we have a better side than last season.

It's possible that none of the above is true, however that is highly unlikely.

If anyone would like to challenge any of these postulations, gie's yer proof.

pointless.jpg

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Ok, so I'm a glass half full guy (but only if the bottle is on the other side of the room).

However, Here's a comparison between our first seven games this season and the first seven last season. We have played four at home this season and last season it was four away. Of course stats can only provide information for analysis and there's little room for nuance or interpretation. However, by application of Occam's razor I think these stats may challenge the thought that we are in any way close to pre-Bonnyrig territory. They might question the notion that Scott Gallacher is quite as much of a bomb scare as some would believe. They might provide some evidence that our home form has improved. They could reasonably be used to show that we have learned how to achieve a victory even when having gone behind in a match.  They may lend weight to the theory that we have a better side than last season.

pointless.jpg

Aye, but we should never have let Garry go, but.

I know we’re a small club etc but does anyone have a rough idea how we prepare for our next opponents?

I would have thought we have a scout. The reason I ask is it’s been glairingly obvious over the last two weeks we have set ourself up wrong to start with.

7 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

pointless.jpg

It's far too early to start making comparisons, and the jury is still out on whether we have a better team at this stage in proceedings.  What is undeniable however is that this term we look to have added some genuine quality in the presence of Froxy a good deal earlier than Stanton and Vaughn pitched up last season.  Anyone who says that this is only one player has obviously missed his three recent goals and yesterday's assist , never mind the fact that he is currently head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield.

The last three home games have finished 2-1 to Sons after conceding early goals, and in truth if each of the visiting teams had made it 2-0 we'd likely have been beaten, glasses half full or not.  We weren't though and all credit to the players for digging out a result on each occasion; we won't do that every time though and neither will our visitors finish with ten men, as happened in each of these three fixtures.  And the Pars handed us our arse in case anyone has forgotten.....

If, and it is an if, we see Handling back then we can expect to add to the midfield, but  IMO Stevie Aitken has a big call to make in defence to make this early in the season as Andy Dowie looks to be struggling.  Hill and Barr in central defence with Carswell or Wilson over Hutton every time would be my second  call.

We are a work in progress and always will be, but it's a decent start in the league.  Livi away this Saturday will be a good test of the statistics.

I know we’re a small club etc but does anyone have a rough idea how we prepare for our next opponents?
I would have thought we have a scout. The reason I ask is it’s been glairingly obvious over the last two weeks we have set ourself up wrong to start with.

Over the last 2 seasons we had a scout, Stuart Millar, who is now with Stranraer as of start if the season. Stuart was recognised as chief scout whilst with us so I would presume there were 1 or 2 others who Stevie had take in games.

I would be surprised if he didn't have teams watched.

In case anyone's interested, today marks a year since Grant Gallagher last played a competitive game for us. It was a 3-2 defeat to Gary Locke's Raith Rovers, with us 3 down at half-time iirc. Stevo and Berba pulled goals back late on, but there was no Steven Saunders ready to save the day.

On OKI's point, this team is better than the team from a year ago today, but still quite a way behind the team that finished last season.

11 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

In case anyone's interested, today marks a year since Grant Gallagher last played a competitive game for us. It was a 3-2 defeat to Gary Locke's Raith Rovers, with us 3 down at half-time iirc. Stevo and Berba pulled goals back late on, but there was no Steven Saunders ready to save the day.

On OKI's point, this team is better than the team from a year ago today, but still quite a way behind the team that finished last season.

I'd take Alan Martin,  Gregor Buchanan and Robert Thompson from last year's team. 2nd half of the season Andy Stirling too.

But so far this season's team are doing well. The past 2 games we've started poorly but recovered well and secured important wins. We usually improve as the season goes on so getting the wins and draws early in the season when we typically struggle is a great start to the year.

9 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's far too early to start making comparisons, and the jury is still out on whether we have a better team at this stage in proceedings.  What is undeniable however is that this term we look to have added some genuine quality in the presence of Froxy a good deal earlier than Stanton and Vaughn pitched up last season.  Anyone who says that this is only one player has obviously missed his three recent goals and yesterday's assist , never mind the fact that he is currently head and shoulders above the rest of the midfield.

The last three home games have finished 2-1 to Sons after conceding early goals, and in truth if each of the visiting teams had made it 2-0 we'd likely have been beaten, glasses half full or not.  We weren't though and all credit to the players for digging out a result on each occasion; we won't do that every time though and neither will our visitors finish with ten men, as happened in each of these three fixtures.  And the Pars handed us our arse in case anyone has forgotten.....

If, and it is an if, we see Handling back then we can expect to add to the midfield, but  IMO Stevie Aitken has a big call to make in defence to make this early in the season as Andy Dowie looks to be struggling.  Hill and Barr in central defence with Carswell or Wilson over Hutton every time would be my second  call.

We are a work in progress and always will be, but it's a decent start in the league.  Livi away this Saturday will be a good test of the statistics.

That's one of the best arguments with the facts ever!

The Pars game is the exception this season surely? They have also handed Brechin, ICT and St Mirren their posteriors, they're top of the league and they have scored 21 goals in the process.

I don't see how an away game at Livi is a better gauge of form than the preceding 7 games either! 

9 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Falkirk have just sacked Houston. I hope they don't have their eyes on Aitken.

Looks like seven games is a decent gauge of where things are headed for one team.

Here's hoping they appoint  Hughes or Pressley and leave Stevie to complete his task of taking us to the Premiership play -offs   :thumsup2

Who's next for the chop? Has to be John Robertson doesn't it?

38 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That may be true but as others have pointed out we generally have a better second half of the season. Players like Stanton and Vaughan don't grow on trees and pulling similar rabbits from the hat is going to be a challenge with 50k off the budget. Mind you, Froxylias seems a decent find and Morrison might yet do a Robert Thomson.

Is it 17 players we've brought in? They've had roughly 40 hours training together and 16 games, several of which were experiments. Even though Stevie hammers the point in every interview, we are a part time side and are at a disadvantage in that respect with 8 of the other 9 teams in the league. 

Aitken and Durrant are working a minor miracle here and others will be watching that.