Sons' sorrow

1 hour ago, cedrick1 said:

All entitled to an opinion but I don’t quite get sons fans having a dig at mccrorie. 

He showed promise with us and we should be proud of our input to his development. Letshope he makes it.

Well said.

If he'd been on loan from Hibs there would have been a wankfest about him from certain quarters.  :)

8 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I'm fairly certain it's not Crawley. He I think was more stocky.

Too late for Raymond Blair IMO, and I agree with the negatives on Crawley and Ashwood.  My money is on Joe Coyle, although not the most obvious candidate at first glance.  The other Jags player is I'm sure Ian Jardine.

2 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Too late for Raymond Blair IMO, and I agree with the negatives on Crawley and Ashwood.  My money is on Joe Coyle, although not the most obvious candidate at first glance.  The other Jags player is I'm sure Ian Jardine.

Could be Joe Coyle, doesn't quite look hirsute enough, mind you.

18 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

I'm not sure who it is, but it's not Joe Coyle.

I was at the game and remember the incident.  Ian Jardine was a midfielder and Alan Kay was a frequently overlapping right-back; with John Bourke in the distance it's highly unlikely that Ashwood would have been found so deep on the park, never mind the fact that he was stocky with curly hair.  Ditto Martin McGowan.

With Kay ahead of Jardine on the Thistle RHS there was a strong  probability that he would come into direct opposition with Joe Coyle in the LH mid of Dumbarton's half, and that's exactly what happened around the 68th minute.  If you don't believe me blow up the picture and concentrate on Wee Joe's haircut - clincher.

I was at the game and remember the incident.  Ian Jardine was a midfielder and Alan Kay was a frequently overlapping right-back; with John Bourke in the distance it's highly unlikely that Ashwood would have been found so deep on the park, never mind the fact that he was stocky with curly hair.  Ditto Martin McGowan.
With Kay ahead of Jardine on the Thistle RHS there was a strong  probability that he would come into direct opposition with Joe Coyle in the LH mid of Dumbarton's half, and that's exactly what happened around the 68th minute.  If you don't believe me blow up the picture and concentrate on Wee Joe's haircut - clincher.

What date was this game? Was it the boxing day defeat at Firhill in 1983? I recall being at that game. At that time it was probably only the 3rd or 4th away game is ever been too. I recall Thistle winning took them top of the league. Whereas a win for us may have seen us going top. In the end Thistle fell away badly that season with us and Morton going up. It was that season as a young 11/12 year old boy that I finally got hooked on Dumbarton. It was such an exciting season where we played some great football.

7 hours ago, sons'r'us said:

What date was this game? Was it the boxing day defeat at Firhill in 1983? I recall being at that game. At that time it was probably only the 3rd or 4th away game is ever been too. I recall Thistle winning took them top of the league. Whereas a win for us may have seen us going top. In the end Thistle fell away badly that season with us and Morton going up. It was that season as a young 11/12 year old boy that I finally got hooked on Dumbarton. It was such an exciting season where we played some great football.

March '84.

11 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

I see that P&B are using my photo of the Stade, taken on the occasion of Craig Brittain's testimonial match, as the background on this page.

Happy to take down any photo we are using that is yours, is it the default Dumbarton one?

On 18/09/2017 at 17:40, Skyline Drifter said:

No. They all do as far as I know.

I'm genuinely interested in this: not expecting a club by club breakdown or anything but what do clubs generally provide? Is it just a couple of trays of sandwiches and some water or is it a proper cooked meal? Do clubs always tend to take advantage of it being offered or do some not bother, whether for dietary reasons or just wanting to get on with the journey home as soon as possible?

2 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

I'm genuinely interested in this: not expecting a club by club breakdown or anything but what do clubs generally provide? Is it just a couple of trays of sandwiches and some water or is it a proper cooked meal? Do clubs always tend to take advantage of it being offered or do some not bother, whether for dietary reasons or just wanting to get on with the journey home as soon as possible?

Usually a couple of trays of sandwiches and some tea and coffee I think. Maybe some pies / pastry stuff.  Certainly not a cooked meal and clubs will bring their own bottled water to away games with them. The kind of stuff you can grab and munch in five minutes. I think most clubs still take it when available. You often see players leaving the ground munching on a sandwich or something. Some clubs order their own pizzas for delivery at away grounds I've noticed. It's supposed to be good for replacing carbohydrates after exercise.

Did anyone catch Pedro Caixinha's comments about Ross McCrorie last night? This is a direct quote:
Ross McCrorie is going to be one of the best centre halves in history, not just for this club but for this country
Now I know that Scottish football hasn't been blessed with the greatest centre-halves in recent times, but I'm assuming I'm not the only one who didn't think he was brilliant with us? I mean, he did a job. He was a fantastic athlete, quick, tall, strong, fantastic in the air, but given time with the ball at his feet he was God awful. Certainly not a patch on Stuart Findlay, who has to be the benchmark for loanee defenders.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/ross-mccrorie-great-expectations-for-club-and-country-1-4565764

Some comments from Oor Christian as well as a highly regarded blogger being quoted [emoji6]

13 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

Now I know that Scottish football hasn't been blessed with the greatest centre-halves in recent times, but I'm assuming I'm not the only one who didn't think he was brilliant with us? I mean, he did a job. He was a fantastic athlete, quick, tall, strong, fantastic in the air, but given time with the ball at his feet he was God awful. Certainly not a patch on Stuart Findlay, who has to be the benchmark for loanee defenders.

http://www.scotsman.com/sport/football/teams/rangers/ross-mccrorie-great-expectations-for-club-and-country-1-4565764

Some comments from Oor Christian as well as a highly regarded blogger being quoted emoji6.png

Never thought I'd see the day that I was quoted in the same article as Christian Nade.