Sons' sorrow

The last time we played Brechin at home was on the last day of the season just before the play offs in 2012.So you would imagine the club was on a bit of a high. Crowd was 636. Earlier in the season the crowd was 572. So yesterday's crowd was fairly average. Sorry to spoil all the doom and gloom with facts but there you go

You're also leaving out the fact that one of those was an utterly meaningless end of season affair that had no outcome on our season. I attended practically every match that season... apart from that one.

Yesterday was our biggest game of the season so far and the games against Brechin will most likely be our most important throughout the season. Perhaps a better comparison (similar level, similar importance of game, similar time of the year, similar league points tally) would be the 2014/15 season where we had over 750 for a clash against Alloa. They may bring a handful more fans than Brechin but I'd imagine there isn't a great deal of difference.

3 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I'm not sure that's entirely true tbh. I see far more criticism directed towards the way they are run on Twitter and the likes than the Dumbarton board get.

I gave it bash and it absolutely wasn't for me but I can see the appeal, particularly for families with young kids, but there is no denying their fans seem unhappy about 95% of the time, particularly with regard towards the way they are run.

Our no 1 issue right now is not attracting new supporters, it's clingin on to the ones we have. On a weekly basis they are being pushed further away. That is truly alarming and yesterday's shocking attendance simply highlights that. We need to forget about attracting neutrals instantly and be very concerned about numerous guys I'd consider the 'hardcore' not bothering buying season tickets and bot bothering paying the eye watering PATG prices. Anyone know officially how many season ticket holders we are down this season? I reckon it will be a fair whack.

Its definitely a worry that we've lost fans but I dont see that as being any more or less worrying than our failure to attract new fans.

If we rely on retaining our existing fanbase then we're in trouble because people will drift away from football for any number of reasons. People get married and have kids. People have health problems. People get older and people pass away.

If we cant attract younger fans - if people can't bring their kids or grandkids to games and we cant attract families or people either new to football or new to the area along to Dumbarton games then we're finished. It'll be a long, slow and painful end and the last fan left can turn the lights off.

I'm not sure that's entirely true tbh. I see far more criticism directed towards the way they are run on Twitter and the likes than the Dumbarton board get.

I gave it bash and it absolutely wasn't for me but I can see the appeal, particularly for families with young kids, but there is no denying their fans seem unhappy about 95% of the time, particularly with regard towards the way they are run.

Our no 1 issue right now is not attracting new supporters, it's clingin on to the ones we have. On a weekly basis they are being pushed further away. That is truly alarming and yesterday's shocking attendance simply highlights that. We need to forget about attracting neutrals instantly and be very concerned about numerous guys I'd consider the 'hardcore' not bothering buying season tickets and bot bothering paying the eye watering PATG prices. Anyone know officially how many season ticket holders we are down this season? I reckon it will be a fair whack.

It's probably my tweets your reading haha.

Clan engagement with fans is shocking, clique ridden and needs sorted. The office staff are the main issue.

They are lucky the on ice part is looking good..

It's probably my tweets your reading haha.

Clan engagement with fans is shocking, clique ridden and needs sorted. The office staff are the main issue.

They are lucky the on ice part is looking good..

Haha it's not just yours Thommo, I seem to see quite a few disgruntled supporters voicing displeasure at numerous things.

Especially compared to a few years ago when things seemed to be nothing but positive.

Reading through the past few pages on this thread, with the clear disconnect between the DFC board and the fans, I happened to look at the Brechin FC website and the pen pics of their board.

http://www.brechincity.com/bcfc/servlet/BCFCFrontControllerServlet?action=Generic&page_id=12&category=4

It would be interesting to see what the equivalent pen pics would be for the DFC board. How many genuine fans do we have in the boardroom? Guys like the Brechin board who have served their time (and continue to do so).