Sons' sorrow

Yesterdays ratings (my opinion)
gallacher 5 (confidence shot)
wardrop 8 (drove us forward)
dowie 7 (won everything but slow forward)
barr 7 ( Thrived the roughness)
hill 7 (aitken quick to drop or sub)
mclaughlin 7 (solid)
c Gallagher 5 ( lacking confidence also)
hutton 6 (just)
carswell 5 ( not fit yet )
froxylias 8 ( tidy, will be useful. Great goal)
nade 8 (not mobile but experienced)
Roy 7 ( pace they couldn't cope with)
wilson 7 ( less negative with him)
Johnson 7 (best I've seen him)

Seems a little harsh on Scott Gallagher...didn't really have much to do yesterday

27 minutes ago, aftershocker said:

Seems a little harsh on Scott Gallagher...didn't really have much to do yesterday

He's slow to come out, doesn't command his box, he came for one in the first half when he shouldn't, was lucky to get away with it, before that, dowie gave him pelters for not coming for the ball, and the other when he mis controlled the ball into a nomads path, won it, but injured their number 9, just a few instances 

He's slow to come out, doesn't command his box, he came for one in the first half when he shouldn't, was lucky to get away with it, before that, dowie gave him pelters for not coming for the ball, and the other when he mis controlled the ball into a nomads path, won it, but injured their number 9, just a few instances 

I'm not his biggest fan, but still feel giving him a 5 yesterday is a little harsh...keepers always have to juggle coming for a ball or staying on their line...fine margins

I remember the one where their centre forward got "injured"....was that not down to a poorly hit backpass?

If he'd put his foot through it, we wouldn't be discussing it, he was trying to be neuer, and ended up bravo. I don't want to be quick to be on his back, but he seems to be making the defence nervous 

He's making me nervous anaw.

Everytime the ball goes near him my arsehole is going like a rabbit's nose.

FWIW I was unconvinced with Dowie again yesterday. Defensively he was OK but his distribution is terrible. Quite why our tactic is allowing him to stride forward and pump the ball up to no one is beyond me. You have Craig Barr next to him who is quite clearly superior with the ball at his feet. I'm not sure his constant berating of Gallacher is doing him any favours either tbh. That's a few times I've noticed it.

He's making me nervous anaw.

Everytime the ball goes near him my arsehole is going like a rabbit's nose.

FWIW I was unconvinced with Dowie again yesterday. Defensively he was OK but his distribution is terrible. Quite why our tactic is allowing him to stride forward and pump the ball up to no one is beyond me. You have Craig Barr next to him who is quite clearly superior with the ball at his feet. I'm not sure his constant berating of Gallacher is doing him any favours either tbh. That's a few times I've noticed it.

Do you think that's a deliberate tactic to give it to Dowie? I couldn't believe how often he played it forward to midfield players and they would then turn and give it back to him. As you say his distribution is poor but he seemed to be put into the position of having to make the pass far too often yesterday. And of course the main problem there is the complete lack of movement from our forward players when we have the ball

Do you think that's a deliberate tactic to give it to Dowie? I couldn't believe how often he played it forward to midfield players and they would then turn and give it back to him. As you say his distribution is poor but he seemed to be put into the position of having to make the pass far too often yesterday. And of course the main problem there is the complete lack of movement from our forward players when we have the ball

It certainly seemed that way given how often it happened. It seems bonkers when you have Barr standing right next to him.

I actually thought when Wilson came on the distribution forward improved. I'd be starting him on Saturday.

It certainly seemed that way given how often it happened. It seems bonkers when you have Barr standing right next to him.

I actually thought when Wilson came on the distribution forward improved. I'd be starting him on Saturday.

I'm surprised we haven't tried a 4-1-4-1 type shape with one holding mid. That would allow froxy + 1 (Wilson/handling) to get forward more and give us some more bodies in the box when we attack.

Feel like we've went back in time. Exact same situation regarding Ewings when Brown was our number 1. Too fat etc... He ended up having his best spell for us. Gallagher is an absolute bombscare and I'd be quite happy for Jazza to step in and give the belly a runout.

Davie Wilson was excellent when he came on yesterday, helped change the match.

The keeper's better than Mark Brown but nowhere near Alan Martin, I'm still willing to give him the benefit. Maybe needs a clean sheet or 2 for confidence.

Hutton, C Gallacher, Walsh ain't good enough tbh though. Journeymen

Lets get behind the team, we've shown a bit of grit v Connah's & came from behind to win. Hopefully we can push on with a bit more confidence.

Gallacher had a rather mixed reputation when he came to Alloa but he was excellent in his half season with us. Particularly enjoyable performances in draws with Rangers at the Recs and Ibrox. But - that was under Jack Ross and he certainly has a way of getting the best out of players. 

On that very topic, where was Fleming at his best for the Sons? Underwhelming so far. Was he decent up front?

Gallacher had a rather mixed reputation when he came to Alloa but he was excellent in his half season with us. Particularly enjoyable performances in draws with Rangers at the Recs and Ibrox. But - that was under Jack Ross and he certainly has a way of getting the best out of players. 
On that very topic, where was Fleming at his best for the Sons? Underwhelming so far. Was he decent up front?

Probably best in the number 10 role...strong runner with the ball, and the kind if guy who gives 110%

He struggled last season with his fitness, and as a result we didn't see the best of him, and when he did play, I felt he was trying too hard

Persist with him, and hopefully you'll see what he has to offer

Craig Pettigrew will be captaining Scotland

Spoiler

's Junior international side this year. Good achievement for him nonetheless. Another Sons flop, Phil Johnston, is also in the squad, along with Graham Wilson who was with us very, very briefly in 2010.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Craig Pettigrew will be captaining Scotland

Reveal hidden contents

's Junior international side this year. Good achievement for him nonetheless. Another Sons flop, Phil Johnston, is also in the squad, along with Graham Wilson who was with us very, very briefly in 2010.

I'm sure Dave 'the monk' McEwan has been in the amateur national side. Do you have the full squad by any chance? 

1 minute ago, the snudge said:

I'm sure Dave 'the monk' McEwan has been in the amateur national side. Do you have the full squad by any chance? 

Aye, he was. He wasn't in the latest one (about May 2017) though I don't think, though I'm sure Darren Miller was, so I'm not sure if he's still playing. He was with (rather suitably given his tattoos) Larkhall.

****WARNING CONTAINS THE NAME OF A CERTAIN EAST REGION JUNIOR SIDE THAT MAY PROVOKE NIGHTMARES****

The Junior squad (shamelessly copy and pasted from their forum) is:

GOALKEEPERS:

Andy Leishman (Auchinleck Talbot)
Richie Barnard (Linlithgow Rose)

DEFENDERS:

Andy Forbes (Penicuik Athletic)
Mark Sideserf (Pollok)
Nicky Docherty (Beith)
Jonathan Brown (Bonnyrigg Rose)
Dean Hoskins (Bonnyrigg Rose)
Colin Leiper (Linlithgow Rose) 
Craig Pettigrew (Auchinleck Talbot) (captain)

MIDFIELDERS:

Phil Johnston (Clydebank)
Gary McCann (Pollok)
Ross Brash (Pollok)
Bryan Young (Pollok)
Colin Spence (Arthurlie)
Paul Burns (Cumnock)
Lewis Mackenzie (Dundonald Bluebell) 

FORWARDS:

Keir Milliken (Beith)
David McKenna (Beith)
Graham Wilson (Auchinleck Talbot)