Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

Am I right in thinking this is the 10th anniversary of the Paul Tosh "square-go incident" at Gayfield?

:lol:

It is indeed. Thanks for making me feel old. It's a shame I can't make it tomorrow but I'll probably have a pie and a pint at 3.50pm in memory of the great day.

1 hour ago, The Moonster said:

Anyone heard anything about a striker? He hoped to have one in for the Falkirk game but not even a rumour has surfaced yet. Could really do with another option up there.

Apparently Bugs Bunny has kicked Awooga well into touch on financial grounds and, er, that's all folks.....

But who knows, maybe the Connahs Quay draw will alter that ????

Anyone heard anything about a striker? He hoped to have one in for the Falkirk game but not even a rumour has surfaced yet. Could really do with another option up there.

Some dude called Armand something spotted in Morrison's speaking to the wummin at the fish counter while purchasing some lemon sole...

Probably just one of those strange coincidences though.

3 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I was going to post something here, but thinking about DFC right now is just too depressing.  Carry on chaps.

I'll say something then if it's too much for you. I'm officially worried. First game against Morton I felt okay, we battled hard and a point isn't a disaster. Falkirk I felt we gained a good point again through hard work. Yesterday I felt we should've been more confident in our team and I'm surprised that Stevie seems to be falling back into the tactics of the beginning of last season, perhaps more worrying was his assessment of yesterdays game though. I couldn't get to the game but by all accounts the only time we touched the ball in the first half was to hoof it clear with us barely breaching the oppositions half, the highlights of SonsTV pretty much confirm that too. To say that we were "comfortable" in that half contradicts just about every opinion of the half. I hope he was just trying to put a brave face on it but I'm unconvinced. He also seemed unconvinced we needed another player and certainly played down the prospect of one coming in, that would chime with your suggestion the other day that the budget was shot.

I'm not giving up hope, I do think we could have potentially good combinations on the pitch that will win us games but it requires full fitness of everyone, something that looks to be changing on a daily basis. If we're going with what we've got then dropping in form players such as Ally Roy and Christian Nade can't be done. We seem to have a defence that's working fairly well together even if it's riding it's luck at times so let's be brave going forward. Teams can be hurt at this level if you're brave enough to try it, surely to god Aitken has realised this after last season?

Aye, officially worried about a number of on field issues and off the field, well, I think I'll agree that might be a bit too depressing to talk about.

Edited by The Moonster

On the pitch I'm still not really sure what to think. Out of the players we have I think we could create a pretty effective team. Dowie, Mango, Carswell, Handling and Roy is a decent spine of a team and, for 60 minutes at least, Nade is more than good enough to lead the line. That's the issue though. When he is done, we are done. We've got no other options, and yesterday gave me serious flashbacks to this time last year. A 4-4-1-1, the fear to go beyond halfway, the sheer misery of watching us defend a 1 goal defeat, only pushing players up in injury time and then, to top it off, that post-match interview. Stevie needs to go for it early on, then try and keep things tight when Nade is gubbed. Another striker absolutely should've been brought in, and if the budget cupboard is bare than Stevie is at fault for that.

Off the pitch fan apathy towards the club seems to be reaching an all time high. Season ticket prices howked up, gate prices howked up, pie stall prices howked up, fewer away fans travelling than at any other point I can remember, and very little in the way of correspondence from our new Chairman to explain the reasoning behind the price rises. Now it doesn't take a genius to work out why, but something from Les Hope to endear the fans to him wouldn't have gone a miss, neither would a couple of wee incentives - £5 off the new home shirt for ST holders or something.

For the last few seasons we've had moments like this, and we've always (somehow) turned it around, and ended the season on a positive note. That will change one year however, and this season's Championship table has a big DFC shaped gap needing to be filled in 9th place. That could be even worse too if we are as good against Brechin as we were against Ayr United.

There are a few questions that I've been thinking about too, should we depart from the Championship this season. Would gate prices be reduced in L1 (I'd certainly expect them to be), and would watching a team not scrapping for 1-0 victories or 0-0 draws every week attract more fans along? If the answers to that are Yes and No, then it might actually not be the worst thing in the world. 

Whilst I remember too, the number of seats with old 'RESERVED' stickers on them and not the shiny new ones tells you more than any post on here.

3 Points next weekend and I shall start taking bookings for seats on the Promotion Bus.

16 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

On the pitch I'm still not really sure what to think. Out of the players we have I think we could create a pretty effective team. Dowie, Mango, Carswell, Handling and Roy is a decent spine of a team and, for 60 minutes at least, Nade is more than good enough to lead the line. That's the issue though. When he is done, we are done. We've got no other options, and yesterday gave me serious flashbacks to this time last year. A 4-4-1-1, the fear to go beyond halfway, the sheer misery of watching us defend a 1 goal defeat, only pushing players up in injury time and then, to top it off, that post-match interview. Stevie needs to go for it early on, then try and keep things tight when Nade is gubbed. Another striker absolutely should've been brought in, and if the budget cupboard is bare than Stevie is at fault for that.

Off the pitch fan apathy towards the club seems to be reaching an all time high. Season ticket prices howked up, gate prices howked up, pie stall prices howked up, fewer away fans travelling than at any other point I can remember, and very little in the way of correspondence from our new Chairman to explain the reasoning behind the price rises. Now it doesn't take a genius to work out why, but something from Les Hope to endear the fans to him wouldn't have gone a miss, neither would a couple of wee incentives - £5 off the new home shirt for ST holders or something.

For the last few seasons we've had moments like this, and we've always (somehow) turned it around, and ended the season on a positive note. That will change one year however, and this season's Championship table has a big DFC shaped gap needing to be filled in 9th place. That could be even worse too if we are as good against Brechin as we were against Ayr United.

There are a few questions that I've been thinking about too, should we depart from the Championship this season. Would gate prices be reduced in L1 (I'd certainly expect them to be), and would watching a team not scrapping for 1-0 victories or 0-0 draws every week attract more fans along? If the answers to that are Yes and No, then it might actually not be the worst thing in the world. 

Whilst I remember too, the number of seats with old 'RESERVED' stickers on them and not the shiny new ones tells you more than any post on here.

3 Points next weekend and I shall start taking bookings for seats on the Promotion Bus.

You seriously begin to wonder what effect this has on the morale of the playing squad; it can't be easy trying to grind out a result week-in, week-out.  As for serious flashbacks, you'd be entitled as we are right now firmly right back in Bonnyrigg territory.  And until Brabco are off the premises we are a club heading in one direction only. 

"Think this will be one of our best efforts so far, a lot of time went into it - even booked out a hall to do the painting. Got plenty of flags too. 

The SLO has been really helpful. Thanks to the club for getting on board, long may the good communication continue."

What good relations with the club can do,a quote from from one of the lads making  a flag display for Saturday 

brabco couldn't understand what good relations are 

"Think this will be one of our best efforts so far, a lot of time went into it - even booked out a hall to do the painting. Got plenty of flags too. 

The SLO has been really helpful. Thanks to the club for getting on board, long may the good communication continue."

What good relations with the club can do,a quote from from one of the lads making  a flag display for Saturday 

brabco couldn't understand what good relations are 

Does the flag say #thislovewilllastforever?

4 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Mark Stewart out for the next 3-4 weeks with a broken elbow sustained on Saturday.

If we can't get a striker in now then we might need to start considering trying to morph a current player into a forward.

Seagall looks the most likely option. You could see/hear when Mark Stewart's obviously done that on Saturday, I'm not sure it was wise to let him play out the 90 minutes. The news just gets more depressing each week with the club at the moment.