Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Not sure about anyone else, but I am far from convinced about our goalkeeper situation. I would still like to think we could pull someone out of the bag to be our "number 1" (I know the irony as Gallagher already has the number 1 top).

There are 2 reasons for me feeling this way. The first is that I think we could get a better 'keeper in and signed. Gallagher just hasn't convinced me yet.

The second reason I have slight worries is Jazza is not certain to be fit all season. We seen last season at Morton when Mark Brown had to come on what can happen. If we don't sign another we could end up in a Raith situation at some point...

Realistically, we will either bring in no-one or we will sign an unknown 17 year old who we hope to never have to use.

A question for anyone who attended the Annan game. Did Stevenson get a hard time or was he just being a helmet when he scored the winning penalty? :lol:

To be honest I'm absolutely fine with Scott Gallacher. He's not been tested an awful lot, granted, but from what I've seen he'll do a job for us. His biggest flaw seems to be his decision making, but that's probably down to how little football he's played in his career. Given time, and with the confidence of being a number 1, he'll be good enough for us. He's got the basics: He's strong at one-on-ones, decent at dealing with cross balls and is a good instinctive shot stopper. I'm a wee bit concerned about him being beaten from range twice by McDaid and Miller because, as good strikes as they were, I'm not convinced that they'd both have gone in with Aldo. Then again I was his biggest fanboy, so I'm obviously going to say that.

What we've got to remember is that we were never going to be able to replace Aldo with a 'keeper as good. He's probably the most complete I've seen, so to judge Gallacher against him is like judging Ally Roy against Stephen Dobbie.

There are also the practical reasons. Our budget is tight enough as it is, without having a third 'keeper. If Gallacher (or Jaz) get injured or sent off I'd imagine we'll bring in an emergency loan to cover. That makes more sense than firing budget money at a third choice 'keeper all season when I'd far rather that was spent on a striker and a creative midfielder.

Stevo didn't get any abuse during the game, but when he wandered up to take the winning penalty he got the usual boos and so on. I hope things work out for him at Annan, he's a good guy by all accounts, and I was genuinely worried about his mental health when I read that interview with him a while back. 

Stevo is full of birthday card pish on Instagram.

I watched the penalties on Facebook Live and you could hear about 5 boos and a couple of jokey shouts like "put it wide". He's trying to paint himself as some sort of underdog hero who overcame his haters for likes.

Also, his heid looks fuckin ridiculous.

On 26/07/2017 at 15:38, Thommo90 said:

On a side issue to my last post - Does anyone know why Aitken would be meeting with anyone dressed in Street League gear?

Done a wee swatch and the only players I can find who are/were involved are David smith, Aggy, Mccracken and Mark Mcguigan.

It wasn’t david smith he was with either.

Don’t think we would be looking at any of those players so I’m hoping he is just going in to talk to/visit the young folk who go to street league etc

I regularly play 5s with David Smith and the people on the street league course he works with as it's right round the corner from me. I know a couple of his colleagues have attended Dumbarton games recently and there's also a Dumbarton fan on the course so could've been one of them.

Edit: Eddie Malone also works with street league 

Edited by C. Muir

So given we don't appear to be signing anybody, and given G,Gal, Carsy, Walsh and Hill all look like being out, I make that 11 outfield players we'll have for tomorrow: Div, Boomer, Dowie, SeaGal, Wilson, Stewart, Johnston, Hutton, Roy, Prior and Mango.

It's a shame that it's not possible just to forfeit the game and take a 3-0 defeat because, judging by Stevie's post-match comments on SonsTV, that would be his ideal outcome. 

I admire anyone who is even remotely considering travelling to Rugby Park on Saturday.

I'd imagine most folk who do go will be doing so simply to tick it off. Thankfully I've been before and don't need to suffer watching us limp to a 3-0 defeat via another massively unconvincing performance.

21 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I admire anyone who is even remotely considering travelling to Rugby Park on Saturday.

I'd imagine most folk who do go will be doing so simply to tick it off. Thankfully I've been before and don't need to suffer watching us limp to a 3-0 defeat via another massively unconvincing performance.

Yeh Saturday for me is to tick off. I fully expect us to be beat.

A pointless game, in a pointless cup. Seems to me that we will gain absolutely nothing from it. Stevie obviously doesn't care about it and would rather we didn't play it. I can't help but think a friendly against someone where we could look at some trialists would be more beneficial to a club like us.

On a positive note! Happy 1000th post to me [emoji2]

41 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

As we know, in recent seasons we've started some seasons in a semi-shambolic state only to turn things around come the following May.  Judging however by the close-season activity and the two games I've seen so far we are really upping the ante this time around, to the extent that I feel that we will see very little difference in performances and results once the league starts.  Probably just more gaols against.

I've already mentioned the reduction in the playing budget didn't help but we don't currently look to have the semblance of a squad capable of competing in the Championship, never mind a settled team.  The silence on Carswell suggests he is about to move into (already-crocked) Grant Gal territory and it's honestly now difficult to detect a shaft of optimism anywhere.  I won't be going near Kilmarnock tomorrow. 

I think that's a decent signing. Hasn't worked out at Hibs really, but he looked like a prospect a few years ago.

Not sure signing Raith Rovers 2016/17 squad is the best idea in the world right enough.