Sons' sorrow

Alternatively, Stevie could have built a squad big enough to cope with these cup games, considering they started at the same time last season I'm not really buying these excuses. Plenty other part time sides with less resources than us have been able to get squads together. Stevie didn't sign his new deal for what? 3-4 weeks? Which led to players holding off and ultimately leaving. He signed his deal and then he went on holiday for 3 weeks (yes, yes, I'm sure his phone was "red hot" whilst he was there - but there's no doubt in my mind that had an affect). His preparation has been poor, verging on terrible actually.

There's no doubt that the injuries have caused a problem, but 2 players injured and we're down to the bare bones, the fact that 4 out injured means we're basically fielding 11 players and nothing else shows how ill-prepared we are. He was also extremely silly to start talking about "done deals" for loan players in the press which subsequently fell to pieces within a couple of weeks and I think Neil Lennon's quote of "he's our player and we'll make that decision" in regards to Porteous coming on loan was perhaps a subtle nudge to Aitken. Talking about those deals had fans pleased that we were getting two good young prospects on loan - what did we end up with? Dougie Hill who is now crocked and Chris McLaughlin who is largely untested. He pined his hopes on the loans being available by now which was always a risky game to play.

I note East Fife are without 8 players for their game from that article, I assume Darren Young is struggling to get a team out and bemoaning the rules of the competition as well?

Edited by The Moonster

Young has echoed what Aitken has said to be fair.

7fdb31d52792a8ddcc45ba9e1a8493a2.jpg

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I suppose the difference between us and most other p/t clubs in the quality of player we're after. I've no doubt Stevie could've built a League 1 squad by now, but our budget will only stretch to 16/17 players, and so they have to be the right 16/17. Given how vital loans have been to us, and given the best ones aren't available yet, I can totally understand why he's angry about it.

It was daft to talk about Penrice and Porteous as being done deals prior to the paperwork being signed. He's been in football long enough to know how quickly things can change on that front.

Fair enough, but Young has nearly a full first team out and is still able to field a team. I get that we're after a different quality, but he had no problems signing up the likes of Thommo, Stirling, Barr and Buchanan up early. I genuinely think he's been in panic mode for the last couple of weeks and that's down to being unprepared. You build your squad and the loans are meant to supplement those players, bringing in that extra bit of quality needed but he's relying on them to make up the squad rather than supplement it. Budget is tight, aye, I still feel we've made a mess of it again though.

Young has echoed what Aitken has said to be fair.

7fdb31d52792a8ddcc45ba9e1a8493a2.jpg

I agree with much of what you're saying, but I suppose the difference between us and most other p/t clubs in the quality of player we're after. I've no doubt Stevie could've built a League 1 squad by now, but our budget will only stretch to 16/17 players, and so they have to be the right 16/17. Given how vital loans have been to us, and given the best ones aren't available yet, I can totally understand why he's angry about it.

It was daft to talk about Penrice and Porteous as being done deals prior to the paperwork being signed. He's been in football long enough to know how quickly things can change on that front.

The quality of player we're after is definitely the difference between us and other PT teams but so far in this window we've not seen much. And we've not seen quantity either which puts us in a pretty tricky predicament.

I wasn't part of the Gary Fleming fan club but I thought on his day he was a great player for us. Last season he had his worst season for us and still chipped in with quite a few big goals. He'd proven he was a player that could compete at this level for us and wanted to stay yet Aitken had other ideas. That was completely fine but now it's looking pretty foolish as not only could we be doing with the bodies, we could also be doing with a Fleming-type player out on the pitch. Same could be said about Docherty but the headbutt issue changes that a bit. Although extremely embarrassing, it seemed like most fans, Carswell and Doc had left it in the past and there wouldn't have been many complaints if he'd signed back up. Tom Lang was another player quite a few people - myself included - were disappointed about not signing. Even if there wasn't much quality in the youth team we could have signed the other couple of boys that featured in the first team last season to improve numbers. I can't imagine they'd command a high wage.

It's too late for any of the above now but it highlights what a frustrating pre-season it's been. We've signed 3 central defenders that are all prone to injury judging by reports from fans of previous clubs. It's no surprise this is happening. May as well add in Nade who is bound to have time out at some point during the season too.

I'm trying not to sound overly negative but it's pretty hard. There have been some flashes of brilliance. Nade looks to continue the scoring form he's had for us, Barr has been solid and there does look like there's a player in Wilson. I just fear there's not enough quality or quantity this time round for us and I think we may have been better prepared if pre-season had went differently.

I'm quite looking forward to the game tonight anyway. Should be a good evening for it.

It's a good post above from Sonsism. 

The approach to pre-season so far appears a little confused, to the extent that some of the guys we've brought in appear to be downgrades on other players that we consciously released at the end of last season. 

Rabbits from hats will be required in the August loan market to an even greater extent than the last five seasons so fingers crossed we get lucky.

1 minute ago, Silverton End said:

Glasgow Airport are now putting a spoke in the Dalmoak Arena wheels, regarding planning permission to erect floodlights (or anything over 15m in height etc) which may distract the flight path of planes. :whistle

Aye? Where's this news?

Glasgow Airport are now putting a spoke in the Dalmoak Arena wheels, regarding planning permission to erect floodlights (or anything over 15m in height etc) which may distract the flight path of planes. :whistle

Between this, the Rab the Bruce thing and the fact it's being built on a floodplain that would potentially put the whole of the town underwater if we built on the wrong places, I'm starting to wonder if anyone at Brabco actually did any form of pre-planning prior to sticking in the application.

I can only imagine that this letter from Glasgow Airport is one of 100,000 they send out annually across the West of Scotland in respect of anyone proposing anything.  I'm no fan of the Brabco proposal but this and the Robert The Bruce stuff is utter pish - when was the last (or first) time a flight in or out of Glasgow came anywhere near the Renton Road ?

Of much more serious worth are SEPA's concerns.