Sons' sorrow

Decent enough game. Sons on top but Clyde with a lot of play but not dangerous. Sons look sharper and fitter. Clyde's number nine hysterical, overweight, unfit, trips over his own feet.
If our number 9 is Stewart, he has had a shocker. Not nearly good enough.
Defence really solid, Clyde not had a shot yet. Odd goal, didn't see it go over the line but the assistant gave it.

We did warn you about Stewart. Runs about like a headless chicken with little end product.

1 hour ago, Cel123 said:
Are most of Dumbarton's players still part-time ??

All of them are. Well, apart from loan players who train with their parent club during the week.

That was woeful today. I can deal with cup defeats and all, but we were so lax it was unreal. We played it at the pace of a friendly. We controlled possession in the first half, but did little else. In the second we did even less attacking, played at a pathetic pace and genuinely looked like we didn't care.

Stevie will be seething to have conceded twice from corners. Fair play to Darren Miller, he puts in a cracking delivery (and scored a belter) but that doesn't excuse how poorly organised we were at set pieces.

Stewart and Roy are like cloans. Both work hard, but aren't great on the ball, don't get in behind and contribute little. Roy looks like an absolute panic signing.

Hutton was ok. At very best. Did some stuff that was fine, but looked like a far more limited Carsy.

Still, no injuries (that I could see). So that's something.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Just to add the club quickly need to act to reduce prices on Tuesday night to £10 and £5. Lucky if they'll be 200 there. 2 wooden spooners up against each other on a Tuesday night in the middle of the summer holidays.

Just shows this cup up for the farce it is. Disappointed to lose but it's not exactly the end of the world. I'd much rather we, as would I'm sure most other clubs, be playing friendlies, looking at trialists and working on stuff that will help us in the league.

Just shows this cup up for the farce it is. Disappointed to lose but it's not exactly the end of the world. I'd much rather we, as would I'm sure most other clubs, be playing friendlies, looking at trialists and working on stuff that will help us in the league.

Absolutely.

As disappointing as it is to now be out of the cup at such an early stage, it's more concerning that we've lost to a side two divisions below us and that we appear to really struggle when we get a few injuries.

I'm really hoping that a few loans will bolster the squad in the coming weeks, because we sure need it.

Having endured Cup away trips, defeats in other words :( to the like of East Fife, Queens Park, Stranraer, Forfar etc etc in recent years I decided to opt out of all Cup trips this season.

Instead I've bet on Ayr to win last Tuesday (5/2) & today Clyde (3/1)

Every cloud an all that

31 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Just to add the club quickly need to act to reduce prices on Tuesday night to £10 and £5. Lucky if they'll be 200 there. 2 wooden spooners up against each other on a Tuesday night in the middle of the summer holidays.

Aye. I totally agree. Given our home attendance for the Ayr game was (iirc) 278, and that was the first home match of the season, in stunning weather, and at a stage where we had a chance of going through, I can't see the Annan game attracting any more through the home gate.

Given Annan are unlikely to take more than 30 I'd imagine we could be looking at a new record low. I can definitely see it being sub 274, which is the lowest I can remember, unless something is done to try and tempt fans along.

We were completely untroubled in the first half and looked to be playing well within ourselves. 

Clyde scored 2 goals within 10 minutes of each other and we're suddenly 2-1 down and having to chase the game.

At 1-0 up and for most of the first half we looked completely in control without ever really doing anything exciting. Clyde did very little beyond failing to make the most of a single moment of panic that we were solely responsible for. At no time did they really look like doing anything but at no time did we look like we were looking to put the game away with a 2nd goal. We had our chances but there was zero urgency. 2nd half was more of the same until Miller scores from a speculative cross-cum-shot that would have been taken care of with somebody on the back post. Same goes for the 2nd - marking and positioning at the back post was poor and Clyde suddenly find themselves 2-1 up. We brought on Nade and he did look lively but we simply didn't create many quality chances. We only became urgent chasing the equaliser and all Clyde had to do was defend well and they were home and hosed.

Can't say Dowie and Barr did much wrong today. Both goals came from poor initial play out wide on David Smith's side of the park. Whether it was Smith not closing down or Gallacher not tracking back and doing a defensive job on the right wing, both Clyde goals came from wide. Miler lobbed the keeper for the opener under very little pressure and the cross for the 2nd was way too easy, although it was a free header at the back post.

Hutton didnt show anything - good or bad - because our midfield was absolutely anonymous all game.

Ally Roy ran about a lot, had a great chance in the first half that he fluffed and probably did as much as Mark Stewart did all game. Stewart was pretty woeful.

One of those games where we didnt get out of first gear until we had to chase the game, by which point it was probably too late to do anything. Fair enough if we're treating these as pre-season friendlies and if the main objective is to give guys time to play together and avoid picking up injuries (something we've clearly failed at so far given our injury issues) but I feel bad for the fans. £15 on Tuesday night. £10 today, plus travelling costs, in weather more appropriate for a dreary November Saturday afternoon. 2 more games to go in a cup competition we have no chance of progressing in, even as group runner up. It's a big ask for fans to pay decent money for games that the club seems to be treating like pre-season kickabouts.

35 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Aye. I totally agree. Given our home attendance for the Ayr game was (iirc) 278, and that was the first home match of the season, in stunning weather, and at a stage where we had a chance of going through, I can't see the Annan game attracting any more through the home gate.

Given Annan are unlikely to take more than 30 I'd imagine we could be looking at a new record low. I can definitely see it being sub 274, which is the lowest I can remember, unless something is done to try and tempt fans along.

I can see Tuesday being sub 250.

2 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

We were completely untroubled in the first half and looked to be playing well within ourselves. 

Clyde scored 2 goals within 10 minutes of each other and we're suddenly 2-1 down and having to chase the game.

At 1-0 up and for most of the first half we looked completely in control without ever really doing anything exciting. Clyde did very little beyond failing to make the most of a single moment of panic that we were solely responsible for. At no time did they really look like doing anything but at no time did we look like we were looking to put the game away with a 2nd goal. We had our chances but there was zero urgency. 2nd half was more of the same until Miller scores from a speculative cross-cum-shot that would have been taken care of with somebody on the back post. Same goes for the 2nd - marking and positioning at the back post was poor and Clyde suddenly find themselves 2-1 up. We brought on Nade and he did look lively but we simply didn't create many quality chances. We only became urgent chasing the equaliser and all Clyde had to do was defend well and they were home and hosed.

Can't say Dowie and Barr did much wrong today. Both goals came from poor initial play out wide on David Smith's side of the park. Whether it was Smith not closing down or Gallacher not tracking back and doing a defensive job on the right wing, both Clyde goals came from wide. Miler lobbed the keeper for the opener under very little pressure and the cross for the 2nd was way too easy, although it was a free header at the back post.

Hutton didnt show anything - good or bad - because our midfield was absolutely anonymous all game.

Ally Roy ran about a lot, had a great chance in the first half that he fluffed and probably did as much as Mark Stewart did all game. Stewart was pretty woeful.

One of those games where we didnt get out of first gear until we had to chase the game, by which point it was probably too late to do anything. Fair enough if we're treating these as pre-season friendlies and if the main objective is to give guys time to play together and avoid picking up injuries (something we've clearly failed at so far given our injury issues) but I feel bad for the fans. £15 on Tuesday night. £10 today, plus travelling costs, in weather more appropriate for a dreary November Saturday afternoon. 2 more games to go in a cup competition we have no chance of progressing in, even as group runner up. It's a big ask for fans to pay decent money for games that the club seems to be treating like pre-season kickabouts.

Saves me a job. You know it was uninspiring when I can't even be bothered writing about it. I thought both our full-backs looked shaky today, the midfield duo of Hutton and Wilson did absolutely nothing, Johnston looked like he might create something...but rarely did, and the SeaGal's first touch was woeful. Up top Stewart and Roy are far too similar, and we desperately need another hold up man for when Nade inevitably injured.

I think today also highlighted just how important Stuart Carswell is for us. Today (and against Ayr) we were almost like we were pre-Bonnyrigg at times. Creating very little, and being overran in the middle of the park. It's no coincidence that the performances have dipped with him out the team.

1 hour ago, sons'r'us said:

Taking 3 quid off Tuesdays price now won't get the extra fans needed to make up the difference through the door. Charging the 200 poor souls that will show up anyway 13 quid makes more money than charging the 220 that might show up if it's a tenner. We need to realise this is the only language our board talks in. Morality or goodwill does not come into conversation, sadly.

Delighted I've made the executive decision to body swerve these cup games. It's the exact same every single year.

Have we ever beaten a lower league team in cup competition under Aitken? Unless we're going to be under the cosh or the underdog he appears unable to set us up to control a game. His cup record is beyond woeful.

I agree the early start hinders us but this cup is an excellent opportunity to add extra funds to the budget. We absolutely shouldn't treat it like a friendly and half arse it like we do every year.

Delighted I've made the executive decision to body swerve these cup games. It's the exact same every single year.

Have we ever beaten a lower league team in cup competition under Aitken? Unless we're going to be under the cosh or the underdog he appears unable to set us up to control a game. His cup record is beyond woeful.

Nope. Our last cup win against a lower league side was 1-0 against Brechin City in August 2014 - Danny Rogers' debut.

We need to get a top drawer midfielder in on loan. Current balance in the middle looks bad. At least games were we played shite in recent years, turner could get stuck in and aggy looked like he could create something for example.

Gallagher and johnston are going to annoy the shite out of me.

Stewart needs to get involved more, apart from the goal gifted to him v clydebank and the header against Ayr (which he was never getting to) has he ever touched the ball in the box? Serious question.

Defence looks fine, pleased with Dowie and Barr, and after being underwhelmed hearing hill was on trial - he's looked just as good as the starters. Mclaughlin has a cracking left foot on him and we need to use him more. Walsh will also prove he's a very talented footballer.

Striker also required, Roy was 100% a panic signing.

3 hours ago, sons'r'us said:

The crowd would be fewer than 200 if admission were free.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

46 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

We've now gone 11 cup games without a win. The Scottish cup win against QoS in January last year was the last one that we won. Although under Stevie, we have a 100% win record against championship clubs in cup competitions. Maybe when we lose to Rangers u-20, it'll have the same effect as losing to Bonnyrigg and as it's so early in the season we'll romp to the league title!