Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Novo is a terrible footballer and an absolute dick of a guy. Shudder to think what kind of wage we paid him in 2013 and he was finished at this level back then. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread earlier but I heard from a very good source that the news on Grant Gallagher isn't good. Been told he could be looking at a year out injured potentially. 

Christ. This thread is full of happiness and optimism tonight. I'm not a fan of his, but I'll be gutted for him if that's the case. I didn't realise that there was even a risk of it being that bad.

Yeah I assumed he was maybe just training with us with the Durrant connection just to get his fitness up. But thought I would ask the oracle's on here. Would hate for us to waste a deal on him, unless as SO8 says it's in amateur terms for the diddy cups.
Hopefully the news on G. Gall isn't as bad as mentioned, would be a shame seeing as he missed the whole of last season.

Hopefully Gallagher isn't out for as long as suggested on here. It'd be a huge blow not only for us as a team but him as a player. You'd have to feel for the guy, no luck with injuries during his time with us so far.

My slice on the whole 'attending Betfred cup games', which I didn't and don't intend to do, is, as someone else said, confirmed by the pricing, not solely the reason.

For me, as much as I want us to do well in every game we play, including friendlies etc, I'm just not that bothered.

The cup isn't prestigious in the slightest, the format is pish, and it just doesn't have any real importance to me.

I'd like us to progress and I'm sure the money to progress is half decent, which would of course be most welcome for a club like ours, but if we get papped out of this embarsssingly and finish 8th this season, it'll be a hugely successful season.

Whereas if we got to say the quarters of the Betfred, but finished 9th (aside from the revenue from the cup) it'd be a total failure of a season, and for that reason it just doesn't really matter to me.

It's got to the stage where I'll count getting through the next 3 games without any injuries as a success. The governing body need to do something to make things more suitable for the wee clubs. Trialists being allowed in the group stages would be the obvious option.

Lets say Stevie has the budget for 17 players - and from that budget he wants 14 permanent signings and 3 loans. The loans (like Portoeus and Penrice) might not become available until after the Betfred, which leaves you trying to get through with 14 players. Given its pre-season and wee twinges are common, the chances of all 14 being fit at any one time is quite low. That leaves you having to scrabble about for players now, instead of being patient and getting who you want. 

We have been unlucky this year. Gallagher and Carswell being out before a ball was kicked was bad enough, but to then lose Walsh and Hill within the first hour of the first competitive game was seriously unfortunate. Given that the four players who are missing aren't even the ones I call injury prone, I've got the fear about the state we'll be in come the first league game.

Scenes when Nacho Novo scores the winner tomorrow, despite looking like a Spanish Ryan Stevenson.

1 minute ago, Kyle said:

I was hoping Jason Kerr/Liam Gordon, Craig Thomson and Graham Cummins.

That would do. Given Hibs appear to have dumped us over Portoeus we shall get the St JohnSons crew back together again.

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

It's got to the stage where I'll count getting through the next 3 games without any injuries as a success. The governing body need to do something to make things more suitable for the wee clubs. Trialists being allowed in the group stages would be the obvious option.

Lets say Stevie has the budget for 17 players - and from that budget he wants 14 permanent signings and 3 loans. The loans (like Portoeus and Penrice) might not become available until after the Betfred, which leaves you trying to get through with 14 players. Given its pre-season and wee twinges are common, the chances of all 14 being fit at any one time is quite low. That leaves you having to scrabble about for players now, instead of being patient and getting who you want. 

We have been unlucky this year. Gallagher and Carswell being out before a ball was kicked was bad enough, but to then lose Walsh and Hill within the first hour of the first competitive game was seriously unfortunate. Given that the four players who are missing aren't even the ones I call injury prone, I've got the fear about the state we'll be in come the first league game.

Scenes when Nacho Novo scores the winner tomorrow, despite looking like a Spanish Ryan Stevenson.

#SonsOfNovoLoyal

I was hoping Jason Kerr/Liam Gordon, Craig Thomson and Graham Cummins.

I actually have heard Kerr has a loan move to a championship side agreed but it's on hold until we get Steven Anderson fit again.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

I actually have heard Kerr has a loan move to a championship side agreed but it's on hold until we get Steven Anderson fit again.

Ach get him out. Gordon, Gilchrist and Shaughnessy are all there and I'm sure we can put in an U20 if we're desperate. He's as well getting top team experience in the betfred cup group stages as he is playing friendles against Hartlepool and East Fife

Sorry Dumbarton fans. I'm quite keen for Kerr to go to you hence the inane chatter.

Ach get him out. Gordon, Gilchrist and Shaughnessy are all there and I'm sure we can put in an U20 if we're desperate. He's as well getting top team experience in the betfred cup group stages as he is playing friendles against Hartlepool and East Fife
Sorry Dumbarton fans. I'm quite keen for Kerr to go to you hence the inane chatter.

Cautious TW is Cautious.

Not sure its Dumbarton tbh.

Given previous connections, it's more likely to be Queens I'd imagine. Dumbarton/Brechin would be best for him. He gets regular football and he still trains with us a few days a week.

Just now, Mr X said:

Did he play under Naysmith at East Fife?

He did indeed. He was a mainstay in their side and got rave reviews during his time there. Seems Naysmith was a big fan of his as well.

I highly doubt we'll be looking for another centre half, we have 3 and our squad isn't big enough to accommodate 4. Unless Kerr can play right back too.

What positions are you looking for?