Sons' sorrow

It's easy to put it all down to price but I don't think that was the only issue.

We've been poor in the early stages of cups for the past few years. I reckon a fair number of fans simply expected a poor game and didn't want to give up an evening to watch it. We've treated the early rounds of the league and challenge cup as part of pre-season and there's an expectation of being disappointed. Price becomes the thing that fans use to decide to give the cup games a miss, but it's an accumulation of reasons.

Which is a problem. How do you convince people to turn out to watch the Sons? If entry prices had been £10 adults, £5 under 18s and free to under 12s, would the home crowd have been much more than 300? It was a great night to be at a game but I doubt the crowd would have been significantly higher.

9 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's easy to put it all down to price but I don't think that was the only issue.

We've been poor in the early stages of cups for the past few years. I reckon a fair number of fans simply expected a poor game and didn't want to give up an evening to watch it. We've treated the early rounds of the league and challenge cup as part of pre-season and there's an expectation of being disappointed. Price becomes the thing that fans use to decide to give the cup games a miss, but it's an accumulation of reasons.

Which is a problem. How do you convince people to turn out to watch the Sons? If entry prices had been £10 adults, £5 under 18s and free to under 12s, would the home crowd have been much more than 300? It was a great night to be at a game but I doubt the crowd would have been significantly higher.

Yeah, the price merely sealed rather than drove my decision not to bother going. We've ceased to be competitive in these early season competitions and so the motivation to attend just isn't there.

Supporters will be more inclined to tune in when squad building is complete and the real action starts. For us that could be anytime between now and the clocks going back.

Whilst I agree cheaper prices wont lead to an influx of punters, personally the price was the sole reason for my non-attendance. Similarly the price is the sole reason I'm not buying a season ticket.

The issue we now face is not attracting new supporters, it's driving away the supporters who previously attended every game, the 'hardcore' if you will. FWIW I know for a fact I'm not the only one.

Perhaps if Les Hope was able to justify why he increased the prices people would be more understanding. As it stands we've not heard a peep.

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Whilst I agree cheaper prices wont lead to an influx of punters, personally the price was the sole reason for my non-attendance. Similarly the price is the sole reason I'm not buying a season ticket.

The issue we now face is not attracting new supporters, it's driving away the supporters who previously attended every game, the 'hardcore' if you will. FWIW I know for a fact I'm not the only one.

Perhaps if Les Hope was able to justify why he increased the prices people would be more understanding. As it stands we've not heard a peep.

Maybe he'll justify it if he's elected to the SPFL board...

4 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Maybe he'll justify it if he's elected to the SPFL board...

What the f**k is happening ,it's getting worse, I never thought that was possible.

Les Hope is a hinger on no mark who jumped on the Brabco wagon.

was there not a blogger who used to rip Brabco a new one a few years ago?

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

He is a free agent...

Here's my outlandish theory.

We have about 11 fit players at the moment. Novo signs non-contract/amateur terms, helps us through the Betfred Cup until we get a few loans in and then moves on. If he did that I certainly wouldn't object. In fact if he stayed to play the full 90 against Rangers U20s I'd fully support that.

I suspect he's just training with us for fitness/potentially evening coaching reasons as a friend of Durrant though.

Novo is a terrible footballer and an absolute dick of a guy. Shudder to think what kind of wage we paid him in 2013 and he was finished at this level back then. 

Not sure if it's been mentioned on this thread earlier but I heard from a very good source that the news on Grant Gallagher isn't good. Been told he could be looking at a year out injured potentially.