Sons' sorrow

10 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

You can't sign a player on a short term contract. There's no such thing. Minimum contract length is to the start of the next window so anyone signed right now needs to be contracted to 1st January. Of course, you can mutually agree to early terminate such a contract as long as it's lasted at least 28 days, or you could contract that after 28 days there is no longer any requirement to work and no payment made but he'd be prevented from playing elsewhere under the latter arrangement. I can't see why anyone who is looking for a league level club would agree to it though because with the two clubs a season rule in place it would be hugely restrictive for them.

Why wouldn't loans be able to play? Clearly they can provided the lending club lodged written permission with the League. Trialists can't play though.

I was thinking of a similar sort of deal to the Jamie Barclay one this time last year. Officially he was only ever with us on a '1 month deal' but I'd guess it was along the lines of sign this, and we'll cancel it after a month to allow you to sign elsewhere. He joined East Stirlingshire a few days after leaving us. It was almost used as emergency loan to tide us over until we signed Alan Martin. Don't get me wrong it wouldn't be to bring in quality players, but as a stop gap in case of emergencies.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2554

Anyway, cheers for clearing up the loan question. I thought it would've been a bit odd if a rule like that had been introduced, and hadn't been noticed.

10 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I was thinking of a similar sort of deal to the Jamie Barclay one this time last year. Officially he was only ever with us on a '1 month deal' but I'd guess it was along the lines of sign this, and we'll cancel it after a month to allow you to sign elsewhere. He joined East Stirlingshire a few days after leaving us. It was almost used as emergency loan to tide us over until we signed Alan Martin. Don't get me wrong it wouldn't be to bring in quality players, but as a stop gap in case of emergencies.

Yes, I saw that at the time, and also something similar with Alloa and Michael Doyle before he went to St Johnstone the year before. I can only presume they actually contracted for the full period to the next window and mutually agreed to cancel after a month. In Barclay's case it wouldn't matter as he was going to East Stirling and the Lowland League doesn't operate windows and the two club rule so as long as he wasn't expecting to come back to League football during last season it would make no odds to him.

16 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, I saw that at the time, and also something similar with Alloa and Michael Doyle before he went to St Johnstone the year before. I can only presume they actually contracted for the full period to the next window and mutually agreed to cancel after a month. In Barclay's case it wouldn't matter as he was going to East Stirling and the Lowland League doesn't operate windows and the two club rule so as long as he wasn't expecting to come back to League football during last season it would make no odds to him.

When did this rule start? We signed Jamie McCluskey on a one month contract at the start of 2014/15 season in League 1 then handed him an extension until the end of the season when that ran out.

Edited by Scosha

13 minutes ago, Scosha said:

When did this rule start? We signed Jamie McCluskey on a one month contract at the start of 2014/15 season in League 1 then handed him an extension until the end of the season when that ran out.

I thought it had been a rule since the SPFL was created.

Rule 30 of Annexe 1 of the Rules of the SPFL which are freely available to view on their website:

Contracts of Service
30. All Contracts of Service between Clubs and Professional Players must be for a term of:-
(i) except in the case of Players who are the subject of an Emergency Loan, not less than the period until the next first day of a Registration Period; and
(ii) not more than five years and the unexpired portion, if any, of any Season during which such contract was entered into.

However you are right about McCluskey, I looked it up. Perhaps the rule wasn't there in 2014. Or perhaps there's some exception I'm missing somewhere that would have covered Doyle and Barclay's situations too. :unsure2:

Edited by Skyline Drifter

£15/£9 for the Ayr game seems a bit steep.

£10/£5 for Clyde and £13/£7 for Annan, with kids U12 free seems more reasonable.

Our new chairman clearly doesn't give a f**k about fleecing supporters.

Has he even put out a statement yet? It seems all he's done since he came in is hike prices and hide. It would be nice to hear what his aims are.

I'd be interested to know what season ticket sales are like compared with this stage last year.

I've spoke to a fair few folk who have said they wont be renewing.

Get Les Hope in the sea, along with his wee creepy moustache.

I worry that home support numbers, not home ATTENDANCES, Nowhereman, could be very poor this season. There seems to be a 'take it or leave it' mentality in play where entrance fees are concerned, with little in the way of marketing. No-one should be surprised if it's only the diminishing hard core who show up.

I'm going to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow with the excitement of some signing news, and an early kick off pre-season friendly.

Whoever it is, I suspect they'll be a left-back. Boomer would be my guess, I didn't realise he was from Clydebank either until earlier today. Hopefully he signs, and then immediately slays his hometown team.

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm going to be up at the crack of dawn tomorrow with the excitement of some signing news, and an early kick off pre-season friendly.

Whoever it is, I suspect they'll be a left-back. Boomer would be my guess, I didn't realise he was from Clydebank either until earlier today. Hopefully he signs, and then immediately slays his hometown team.

My money would be on him definitely.Hope it is him as he seems to have played well so far.Any news on GG yet?

I worry that home support numbers, not home ATTENDANCES, Nowhereman, could be very poor this season. There seems to be a 'take it or leave it' mentality in play where entrance fees are concerned, with little in the way of marketing. No-one should be surprised if it's only the diminishing hard core who show up.

I agree here but surely the best way of marketing the club is the level of football it plays. In our case we have punched above our weight the last 6 seasons and to maintain that perhaps we need to charge a bit more??

In saying that the prices being charged should have been subject to some consultation with the fans perhaps through the Trust.

It does Sadden me to see reducing numbers when we have had a good product on the park. It would seem that we have achieved success purely down to a couple of good managerial appointments and various other things the board have done have been more counter productive in some ways. E.g some of the all ticket game arrangements from last season were baffling. Not to mention some of the bad customer service received by some last year when contacting the club.

I do think the club needs to engage far more than it does and listen more to fans views. I know fine well the trust has a director on the board which is great and I'm sure things would be far worse without that, but sometimes I get the impression the fact this exists is enough for those in charge and why would they bother engaging any more when they have to suffer this arrangement in the 1st place.

Maybe I'm speaking a bit out of turn here or not informed enough. I do think we'll need every penny this year though and just hope the increased prices haven't back fired too much.

Good to see the negativity from you and bbpf starting before we've even kicked a ball in earnest

Ross Lyden has signed for us.
Promising youngster?

Looked lively in his short outings for the top team and, according to a couple of guys I know who watched him for the U17s, was excellent for them.

He'll need time, but with it I think he could become a very useful player. Will he go into your 19s or top team?

Good to see the negativity from you and bbpf starting before we've even kicked a ball in earnest

It's not negativity, it's a genuine concern at how there appears to be such a disconnect between the club and the local community, outwith the core support.
Sons FC makes a good point about the currently exalted league position we enjoy - my point is that we seem to always err on the side of top dollar come what may, rather than try to strike an attractive balance.
Ask any hotelier; a room taken at a reduced rate is infinitely better than f**k all.

It's not negativity, it's a genuine concern at how there appears to be such a disconnect between the club and the local community, outwith the core support.
Sons FC makes a good point about the currently exalted league position we enjoy - my point is that we seem to always err on the side of top dollar come what may, rather than try to strike an attractive balance.
Ask any hotelier; a room taken at a reduced rate is infinitely better than f**k all.

Good point. Did you see Hamilton season ticket prices? Over 18s £180, all u18s-£20.

Of course they can afford it with all the cash they got from McArthur and McCarthy sell on clauses.