Sons' sorrow

Barr rarely applauded the crowd after a game, and more or less blanked the fans whilst running onto the park. That always annoyed me

You sound like that wummin who said to Ian Murray "I'm part of a group who are notorious for giving incredible support. If we sing your name, will you wave to us?". The guy was probably just focused on his job. He was a good player for Dumbarton. Who gives a shiny shite if he waves to the crowd or not? Wind your neck in.

2 hours ago, optimistic said:

Barr rarely applauded the crowd after a game, and more or less blanked the fans whilst running onto the park. That always annoyed me

15 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

You sound like that wummin who said to Ian Murray "I'm part of a group who are notorious for giving incredible support. If we sing your name, will you wave to us?". The guy was probably just focused on his job. He was a good player for Dumbarton. Who gives a shiny shite if he waves to the crowd or not? Wind your neck in.

Said what I wanted to say better than I did Pete.

If Stevie was picking his captain based on his ability to wave at the fans, I'd be worried.

Throughout our time in this league we've consistently shown the resolve required to pick ourselves up and escape from tough situations. During this time we've often had a non-demonstrative captain on the park. This leads me to suspect that it doesnae matter how visibly wired up the captain is.

Barr played 70-odd games as we stayed up twice under his captaincy. He was evidently an effective leader.

44 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Just the goals really.  A lot more interviews than action.

Interesting that Stevie reckons he'll bring in a few more trialists for the Bankies game. Hopefully it's not another total waste of time like last year, where we field 9 unknowns and a couple of fringe players. I'd love to see us going full on, even if it was just for 45 minutes.

Suspect all four long-term trialists (Boomer, McIlduff, Allan and Hill) will all start, and probably get the 90 as it's his last chance to see them. I don't think that seriously weakens us much anyway. David Wilson strikes me as the sort of guy who needs gametime, Prior alongside him is another who can only benefit from a sizeable chunk of gametime too. I don't see any need to rest Scott Gallacher, resting one of Mango or Dowie (or giving them a half each) would probably make sense, unless we need someone at right-back if Smith is still out. Nade looked in fantastic shape, but two games in a week would be pushing it for him imo. I'd far rather test Allan for the 90, and keep the Prince fresh to put Ayr back in their box on Tuesday.

Something like this would probably be a decent combination of first team guys who would benefit and trialists:

Scott Gallacher

New Trialist Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Aidan McIlduff

Chris Johnston Kyle Prior David Wilson Chris McLaughlin

Jordan Allan Calum Gallagher

5 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Interesting that Stevie reckons he'll bring in a few more trialists for the Bankies game. Hopefully it's not another total waste of time like last year, where we field 9 unknowns and a couple of fringe players. I'd love to see us going full on, even if it was just for 45 minutes.

Suspect all four long-term trialists (Boomer, McIlduff, Allan and Hill) will all start, and probably get the 90 as it's his last chance to see them. I don't think that seriously weakens us much anyway. David Wilson strikes me as the sort of guy who needs gametime, Prior alongside him is another who can only benefit from a sizeable chunk of gametime too. I don't see any need to rest Scott Gallacher, resting one of Mango or Dowie (or giving them a half each) would probably make sense, unless we need someone at right-back if Smith is still out. Nade looked in fantastic shape, but two games in a week would be pushing it for him imo. I'd far rather test Allan for the 90, and keep the Prince fresh to put Ayr back in their box on Tuesday.

Something like this would probably be a decent combination of first team guys who would benefit and trialists:

Scott Gallacher

New Trialist Andy Dowie Dougie Hill Aidan McIlduff

Chris Johnston Kyle Prior David Wilson Chris McLaughlin

Jordan Allan Calum Gallagher

I dont want to get ahead of the game here but reading Stevie's body language he seemed a little upset during the interview despite a decent performance and  result.I can only assume he is a little worried regarding given the injuries so early in the season to SC,DS and GG.I certainly dont think he would want to rush any of them back which means we potentially have a numbers problem vs AYR.Can trialists play in the LC?I dont think that they can.So what options are left?emergency loans??

PS Stunning strike from Prince and a great piece of opportunism from JA.

I dont want to get ahead of the game here but reading Stevie's body language he seemed a little upset during the interview despite a decent performance and  result.I can only assume he is a little worried regarding given the injuries so early in the season to SC,DS and GG.I certainly dont think he would want to rush any of them back which means we potentially have a numbers problem vs AYR.Can trialists play in the LC?I dont think that they can.So what options are left?emergency loans??
PS Stunning strike from Prince and a great piece of opportunism from JA.

No loans or trialists allowed in the Betfred I'm pretty sure. Puts us in a bit of a predicament.

1 hour ago, sonsism said:

No loans or trialists allowed in the Betfred I'm pretty sure. Puts us in a bit of a predicament.

Loans are allowed (see Robbie Mutch at Arbroath v Dundee United last year) unless something has changed this season, but aye, tomorrow is our last opportunity to play the trialists in an actual game. 

18 hours ago, lorenzo71 said:

We potentially have a numbers problem vs AYR.Can trialists play in the LC?I dont think that they can.So what options are left?emergency loans??

I don't think we need an emergency loan at this stage in the season, especially when the loan market is completely open, and we can sign a player permanently on a short-term contract if needs must (Jamie Barclay last year for example).

I'm actually totally relaxed about it, which is unusual. I've got a gut feeling we'll have a couple of players in by then, and Stevie's tone has been far more reassuring than it was last year. Our squad at the moment also looks a lot stronger than it did for the Forfar 2-2 game in the Betfred a year ago:

Mark Brown

Craig Pettigrew Gregor Buchanan Frazer Wright Mark Docherty

Garry Fleming

David Smith Ryan Stevenson Grant Gallagher Andy Stirling

Robert Thomson

Subs: Jamie Barclay, Donald McCallum, Ryan Clark, Amadou Kassarate, Josh Todd (who signed that morning)

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

we can sign a player permanently on a short-term contract if needs must (Jamie Barclay last year for example).

You can't sign a player on a short term contract. There's no such thing. Minimum contract length is to the start of the next window so anyone signed right now needs to be contracted to 1st January. Of course, you can mutually agree to early terminate such a contract as long as it's lasted at least 28 days, or you could contract that after 28 days there is no longer any requirement to work and no payment made but he'd be prevented from playing elsewhere under the latter arrangement. I can't see why anyone who is looking for a league level club would agree to it though because with the two clubs a season rule in place it would be hugely restrictive for them.

20 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I had actually heard that loans weren't able to play as well.

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Only one man can save us now, @Skyline Drifter

Seems like a bit of an odd rule to introduce. Then again this is Scottish football, so who knows.

Why wouldn't loans be able to play? Clearly they can provided the lending club lodged written permission with the League. Trialists can't play though.