Sons' sorrow

There's a guy on the Thistle thread saying that injuries are making it unlikely that they'll loan out Penrice, which would be a shame, and leaves us with a big gap at LB.

Be interesting to see Christopher 'Boomer' McLaughlin tested a bit more defensively tonight. McIlduff was there on Saturday too, but was in trainers, so I'm assuming he's picked up a knock.

McLaughlin has all the technical ability to be a very good left-back at Championship level.  He lacks a bit of height and pace to hit the ground running in the Premiership, which I think is the reason why he was let go, but with 100+ games he could step up.  I think he was generally good for Forfar, he made the odd concentration error that defenders in their early twenties tend to do.  I don't think they always saw the best of him because they played with a really good winger in front of him and he didn't overlap as much.  He needs to do more to stop crosses getting in and tucking in to the left-centre-back at the right time but he'll get better at that with experience at a good level.

I don't think he has an attitude problem like what has been hinted at.  From watching him a lot close up in the u20s he is a sore loser and gets a wee bit petulant with if he isn't playing well - I reckon he probably thought he should have been in the first team and was almost trying too hard.  He does need to grow out of that but he's a good team player on the whole and he always takes responsibility.

He was the standout player in the best u20s team in the country, so getting released probably means he is learning that it doesn't always come easy.

I like him a lot, I hope he signs for you and that he shows his potential. 

Edited by bunglebonce

2 hours ago, bunglebonce said:

McLaughlin has all the technical ability to be a very good left-back at Championship level.  He lacks a bit of height and pace to hit the ground running in the Premiership, which I think is the reason why he was let go, but with 100+ games he could step up.  I think he was generally good for Forfar, he made the odd concentration error that defenders in their early twenties tend to do.  I don't think they always saw the best of him because they played with a really good winger in front of him and he didn't overlap as much.  He needs to do more to stop crosses getting in and tucking in to the left-centre-back at the right time but he'll get better at that with experience at a good level.

I don't think he has an attitude problem like what has been hinted at.  From watching him a lot close up in the u20s he is a sore loser and gets a wee bit petulant with if he isn't playing well - I reckon he probably thought he should have been in the first team and was almost trying too hard.  He does need to grow out of that but he's a good team player on the whole and he always takes responsibility.

He was the standout player in the best u20s team in the country, so getting released probably means he is learning that it doesn't always come easy.

I like him a lot, I hope he signs for you and that he shows his potential. 

Sounds like he's a bit less of a gamble than McIlduff. Can he play any other positions? If Penrice isn't coming I suggest we give a deal to Chris and instead of getting two loans in just get Sam Stanton.

1 hour ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

That looks like a great day.

We surely need a list of which players are regular contributors on here :thumsup2

I don't want to out anyone else on a public forum but I'm happy to admit I'm home shirt number 8. You only really see me do anything of note in the last 30 seconds which is a fairly accurate representation of my performance.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I don't want to out anyone else on a public forum but I'm happy to admit I'm home shirt number 8. You only really see me do anything of note in the last 30 seconds which is a fairly accurate representation of my performance.

Cheers. Fair enough not wanting to out individuals.

As said it looked like a brilliant day for all concerned. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

2 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Cheers. Fair enough not wanted to out individuals.

It really was fantastic, Paddy and Stuart were terrific with everyone and I would recommend any club doing something like this. I don't have an official figure yet but we're looking at around £5K raised from this event alone, with our comedy night on top of that it's been a truly excellent effort, Sons fans.

That looks like a great day.
We surely need a list of which players are regular contributors on here :thumsup2

All I'm going to say is that when I was allowed full control we went from 3-0 down to salvaging a 3-3 draw. If it goes tits up with Naysmith you know where I am.

And Moonster, don't be so hard on yourself, I wont stand for such negative vibes emitting from my dressing room. 20 laps for that ya wee bawbag.

37 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Sounds like he's a bit less of a gamble than McIlduff. Can he play any other positions?

He played left-mid in the few appearances he had for the first team. I don't think the manager trusted him enough to play in a back four (that's as much a reflection of the manager than as a player, because the system he used was strictly man-for-man across the park and it doesn't allow for the full-backs to be beaten too readily).

Edited by bunglebonce

35 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

Cheers. Fair enough not wanting to out individuals.

Yeah, watched it this morning and there's some right good football being played to be fair. We did this twice a few years ago (must have been about 2011 or 2012 the last time when fans bid for shirts and a couple of "legends" acted as managers. It was good fun (I was there but didn't play) but I don't recall the standard of football being as good as we saw there.

44 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Got into a great position at the byline but your cross was sclaffed. ;) Good corner delivery though.

31 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

All I'm going to say is that when I was allowed full control we went from 3-0 down to salvaging a 3-3 draw. If it goes tits up with Naysmith you know where I am.

And Moonster, don't be so hard on yourself, I wont stand for such negative vibes emitting from my dressing room. 20 laps for that ya wee bawbag.

Who was the no 6 for the home team showed good pace and control??

34 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Have to say some great saves...the away keeper had a string of really good stops  #hasalanmartinreallygone

11 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Have to say some great saves...the away keeper had a string of really good stops  #hasalanmartinreallygone

Both keepers made great saves - where were we in the keeper debate...

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Got into a great position at the byline but your cross was sclaffed. ;) Good corner delivery though.

I was so angry about that at the time :lol: Can't even blame the pitch because it was brand spanking new.

15 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Who was the no 6 for the home team showed good pace and control??

I'm happy to out him, that was my brother :P