Sons' sorrow

Few thoughts from the game today coming up:

Overall it started off as a pretty dull pre-season game, occasionally flickered into something better, and then fizzled out again. It was good to see the new guys in action though, and that all white kit that the U17s or whoever used to use is absolutely lovely in real life.

We could've been 2-0 up early on. Jordan Allan intercepted a backpass before being tripped by the 'keeper, but I don't think the ref fancied awarding a penalty in a testimonial. Then Dougie Hill really should've done better when presented with a great chance from a 'Boomer' free-kick, though I think the offside flag was up.

Then they took the lead. Dowie lost out in a 50/50, and the resultant pass saw Joao Victoria ghost in behind Grant Gal, and finish really nicely beyond Jaz from inside the box. That was pretty much it for serious goal attempts in the first half, albeit Allan went close with an absolutely blistering thunderpeach of a hooked volley from about 25 yards.

We made a couple of changes at half-time, with Mango and Scott Gal replacing Dowie and Jaz. That seemed to help settle a pretty shaky looking defence down, as both looked really pretty calm on the ball. Mango in particular was spraying some glorious 45 yard crossfielders right to the SeaGal's chest.

Despite that they probably should've been 2-0 up. Dougie Hill misjudged a long ball, and let Joao in behind him. He held off a couple of challenges, and rifled the ball goalwards, but Scott Gallacher pulled off a really decent, low save.

We created a few chances after that, but nothing serious, before The Prince came striding into the action. He looked in really decent shape, which was a relief, and seemed to be moving a lot more freely than he was last season. 

That was when the goal arrived. We knocked the ball about quite nicely on the edge of the box, with Nadé holding things up well. He drew in a few defenders, played the ball to David Wilson who exploited the gap in the 'vers defence with a beautiful through ball (the very definition of 'threaded') to the SeaGal, who absolutely smashed it home at the near post. It was a really good finish, but an even better pass from Wilson.

He nearly set up a second too, as Mark Stewart was tripped on the edge of the box. From the resulting free-kick he picked out Mango and the Prince, who both glanced the ball, but it ended up narrowly wide.

After that the game basically fizzled out, and nothing really happened other than Alan Reid's 50 something year old Dad coming on :lol:

Just as BigMac did last week, I thought I'd do a wee run down of the players for anyone who was strutting their stuff at the Rock or stuck in Braehead.

GK. Jamie Ewings - Didn't really have very much to do, and what he did do went fine. He sclaffed a goal kick (albeit I think the ball was flat), but aside from that dealt with everything that came his way pretty easily.

RB. Grant Gallagher - Is not a right-back. I can only assume Div had a knock or something, because he really didn't look comfortable, and we probably could've done with a more physical guy like him in centre-mid with Carsy out.

CB. Andy Dowie - Looked pretty rusty if I'm honest. Sclaffed a few clearances, made a few odd decisions and looked a bit nervy with the ball at his feet. In terms of heeders and tackles though, he was fine.

CB. Dougie Hill - Actually looked the better of the two first-half centre-backs. Was pretty uncompromising in the air and tackle, and put himself about at set-pieces. His distribution wasn't too hot though.

LB. 'Boomer' Trialist - Did plenty of typical left-back things. Has a good cross on him, relatively long throw-in and did a power of overlapping. His set pieces weren't great though, and he conceded a couple of cheap fouls for little things like arms on the back. Would need to see him tested a bit more defensively.

RW. Calum Gallagher - Flitted in and out of things. Had a pretty quiet first half, as with the rest of the team, but came onto a game in the second half and looked like he might create something. Plenty of decent runs, and a smashing finish for the goal.

CM. David Wilson - Seriously interesting one. Had moments where he looked miles off it, and moments where he looked different class. His range of passing is wonderful, as is his vision, and there was an awful lot about his game that was really, very good. There was also some stuff that wasn't so great. His touch was quite heavy, and he did maybe try the Hollywood pass a few too many times. That's what friendlies are for though, so I can't blame him. Looking forward to seeing more.

CM. Kyle Prior - Acquitted himself quite well, and certainly didn't look out of place. Played some lovely short, quick passes towards the end of the first half, and did the same early in the second. Stuck some decent crosses in, and rarely wasted possession. His positional discipline is what you'd expect for a young guy though, and he probably needs a harder tackling sidekick. Tired towards the end too, but that's understandable given it would've been his first 90 minutes for quite a wee while.

LW. Chris Johnston - How many of you remember Sam Stanton when we first signed him? Out on the wing you could tell he had ability, but he just looked bereft of any confidence. Him and the SeaGal switched quite a bit, and he showed a few really nice touches. Unfortunately G.Gal behind him offered little support going forward, and so he was left 1 against 3 or 4 at times, and didn't have the confidence to take them on. Stevie was constantly shouting positive stuff towards him though, so I reckon he'll be doing a full confidence rebuild job again.

ST. Mark Stewart - His movement was decent, but he didn't contribute a great deal (other than being offside) until Nadé came on. Won a few free-kicks, worked absolutely tirelessly closing players down throughout mind you, which was endearing. 

ST. Jordan Allan - Strong, powerful and very physical. It wasn't all good, he's very left-footed, and not fantastic in the air, but I was impressed, and certainly want to see more as he has something about him. He got into a few great tussles with defenders, and was excellent at taking the ball into his chest and holding it up. His link-up play wasn't as good as Nadé's, but I'm prepared to say that'll come with time. Took a bit of a battering from defenders, closed everything down and is seriously rapid. If he can build on that then he'd be a good addition imo.

Subs

GK. Scott Gallacher - Didn't have a great deal to do, but looked pretty assured doing it. His distribution was really decent, zinging some lovely balls out wide, and he dealt with a couple of tricky crosses really confidently. Made a fantastic save from Joao in the only occasion where he was really tested.

CB. Craig Barr - Star man for me. Came on for Dowie, and instantly looked far more comfortable. Brutally strong when going for headers, and really decent at out-muscling opponents. He was classy on the ball too, really composed and cool, and pinged more than a few 40 yarders directly to players. If we can keep him fit we'll have a sensational player on our hands.

ST. Christian Nadé - Looked fit, hungry and linked up well with the guys around him. We all know what he can do, and his intelligent hold-up play played a huge role in the equaliser.

Unused

Tom Walsh Durrant calls him Tommy, I might adopt that.

David Smith - Has quite a reasonable beard these days.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Trialist left-back was Chris McLaughlin from Ross County. Spent the latter half of last season on loan at Forfar.

Paddy Flannery did mention a Chris McLaughlin being on trial today at the P4TS game.  Speaking of the man, he scored a beauty of a free-kick for the home team today during the comeback of all comebacks...

#BringBackPaddyFlanneryTacticalGenius

8 hours ago, Northern Son said:

Well done to all involved in organising and playing in the P4TS game. Very entertaining and made the long trip down the road worthwhile.

Some dodgy refereeing in the second half though ;-)

Would echo these sentiments - great day, great match. A hugely successful event, credit to all those who organised.

Edit: Who'd have thought that not loading up on sun cream would have been such a big mistake...

Edited by Consolidate

8 hours ago, Northern Son said:

Well done to all involved in organising and playing in the P4TS game. Very entertaining and made the long trip down the road worthwhile.

Aye, sonsanorak was lucky to stay on the park! :P

Honestly, yesterday was right up there with my best days ever. Actually sharing the pitch with Paddy Flannery, I don't think it's quite sunk in.  A lot of folk have thanked me but there's a whole team at the Sons Trust who deserve the credit, Gillie, Alan, Robbi and Gary all helped out in organising not only the match but the comedy night too, the effort has been fantastic - we really do have a great bunch of people that love this club and we can do great things. Special mention for Colm the kit man too, he is a gem of a guy. We've raised an excellent amount of money and had one of the best days ever in doing it. Round of applause to everyone who took part, I just hope me blowing out my arse isn't featured too much on the highlights :lol:

Yes, I'm particularly interested in the foul on the edge of the box Paddy wins...

Gutted with the penalty, felt yesterday I'd got caught under the ball and left Joe to take on Alan. Dont understand why the ref took so long to award the pen but, perhaps he had a signal from the fourth official?

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Yes, I'm particularly interested in the foul on the edge of the box Paddy wins...

Gutted with the penalty, felt yesterday I'd got caught under the ball and left Joe to take on Alan. Dont understand why the ref took so long to award the pen but, perhaps he had a signal from the fourth official?

It was the linesman who gave the pen, the ref was playing on :lol:

31 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Paddy is an absolute hero. Top guy btw.

He was telling me and Moonster some golden tales from the Tam Carson era.

:lol:

"He had the full squad sat in McDonalds for a meal before the Queens Park promotion game, everyone was just sat there thinking what the f**k is he doing".

I wish I'd worn a Go-Pro for the whole day yesterday, even in the showers. #paddy'sthewhiteNade

Yesterday was brilliant. I got a shiver when I walked onto the pitch for the warm up. The camaraderie was fantastic between both teams and I'm really glad I got the chance to assist Stuart. It was a bit strange watching from that side of the park though.

Eta well done to everyone who played a part in organising it!

2 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Paddy is an absolute hero. Top guy btw.

He was telling me and Moonster some golden tales from the Tam Carson era.

Also if anyone on here is the guy who flung the 10p at one of the comedians last night then I hope you're aware that was really rude, nasty and awkward.

Didn't make it last night due to other commitments but why did someone throw a 10p?

Aye, sonsanorak was lucky to stay on the park! [emoji14]
Honestly, yesterday was right up there with my best days ever. Actually sharing the pitch with Paddy Flannery, I don't think it's quite sunk in.  A lot of folk have thanked me but there's a whole team at the Sons Trust who deserve the credit, Gillie, Alan, Robbi and Gary all helped out in organising not only the match but the comedy night too, the effort has been fantastic - we really do have a great bunch of people that love this club and we can do great things. Special mention for Colm the kit man too, he is a gem of a guy. We've raised an excellent amount of money and had one of the best days ever in doing it. Round of applause to everyone who took part, I just hope me blowing out my arse isn't featured too much on the highlights :lol:

Great day/night out, as Moonster says above we do have a special support.
Well done to them all

Didn't make it last night due to other commitments but why did someone throw a 10p?

I should make it clear that it wasn't thrown with the aim of hitting the guy, it was kinda thrown like the way you would throw it at a busker if that makes sense.

The comedian was doing the usual and engaging with the crowd and he wouldn't turn round or look at him so he was giving him a bit of friendly stick, like you always get at a stand up show. He couldn't really hack it and flicked the 10p in his direction. It was very bizarre and felt fairly awkward.

I should make it clear that it wasn't thrown with the aim of hitting the guy, it was kinda thrown like the way you would throw it at a busker if that makes sense.

The comedian was doing the usual and engaging with the crowd and he wouldn't turn round or look at him so he was giving him a bit of friendly stick, like you always get at a stand up show. He couldn't really hack it and flicked the 10p in his direction. It was very bizarre and felt fairly awkward.

I didn't expect it was thrown to hurt.

Does seem bizarre him throwing it mind. I guess he tried to be funny but seems more awkward.