Sons' sorrow

35 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

I seem to remember some Raith fans saying that he looked quite good there, whenever he was played centrally.

Well, he looked better than he did out wide. That's only a relative improvement, mind.

27 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I reckon thats about 2000/2001. Paddy will be on there, as will Joe Robertson, Craig Brittain and probably Stevie Bonar?

Liked that top and the shape of the badge oddly enough.A top like that should be cherished!!!

Stumbled across this online about Johnston

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/03/24/ex-kilmarnock-winger-chris-johnston-confident-clear-air-talks-raith-rovers-squad-back-track/

If Stevie and Durrant can work their magic then he could be a more than capable Stanton replacement.

Johnston’s performance against United earned him a place in the SPFL team of the week and the 22-year-old is enjoying life in a more central role under Hughes.

He added: “The manager played me in ‘the hole’ against St Mirren and I really enjoyed it.

“He obviously likes me in there and I like it as well as you are involved a lot. When you are out wide you can drift in and out of games

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Stumbled across this online about Johnston

http://www.deadlinenews.co.uk/2017/03/24/ex-kilmarnock-winger-chris-johnston-confident-clear-air-talks-raith-rovers-squad-back-track/

If Stevie and Durrant can work their magic then he could be a more than capable Stanton replacement.

That  could be a great role for him and i think we need someone in that position.Will Stanton be with Hibs next season or is he headed elsewhere?

Just now, lorenzo71 said:

That  could be a great role for him and i think we need someone in that position.Will Stanton be with Hibs next season or is he headed elsewhere?

He appears to have been stripped of his squad number at Hibs, and wasn't in their squad for the friendly with Dunfermline last night, so I'd assume he'll be off. He's got another year on his contract though, so whether it's another loan deal to run that down or not will presumably depend on who fancies him. I'd love us to get him back, but he's not really what we need now. A left-back, striker and centre-back should be the priority (probably in that order too).

24 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

He appears to have been stripped of his squad number at Hibs, and wasn't in their squad for the friendly with Dunfermline last night, so I'd assume he'll be off. He's got another year on his contract though, so whether it's another loan deal to run that down or not will presumably depend on who fancies him. I'd love us to get him back, but he's not really what we need now. A left-back, striker and centre-back should be the priority (probably in that order too).

If we get Penrice and Porteous then we just need another striker.Who would you fancy us to get alongside stewart and nade?

19 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

If we get Penrice and Porteous then we just need another striker.Who would you fancy us to get alongside stewart and nade?

I reckon it'll have to be a loan player, but my knowledge of that market isn't too hot at the moment. Oli Shaw played and scored for Hibs last night, and is a tall guy, but quite slight so I've no idea if he'd be suitable. Given we seem to have a decent relationship with Celtic, Hibs and Aberdeen I'd hazard a guess that he might come from one of those club's U20s, but I've really not got a clue who it could be.

13 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

We definitely need another 'big man' up front as there's no chance Nade can play every game. It will be interesting to see the role Stewart plays as we haven't had an out and out,pacy striker since Aitken joined us.

Totally agree. He doesn't have to be a goalscorer type, but a hold up man who can bring others into play. If he can grab 7 or 8 goals too then that'd be a massive boost.

Johnston isn't the player you want when you're going to be involved in a relegation battle.

I said this about him at the start of June.

"Johnston special move was to look like he was about to do something at all times without actually ever doing anything. He was absolutely brilliant at getting the ball then suddenly not having it anymore even though no one had tackled him. Has the upper body strength of a wet leaf."

I still stand by that. There's a player in there, somewhere, just, probably.

4 hours ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Johnston isn't the player you want when you're going to be involved in a relegation battle.

I said this about him at the start of June.

"Johnston special move was to look like he was about to do something at all times without actually ever doing anything. He was absolutely brilliant at getting the ball then suddenly not having it anymore even though no one had tackled him. Has the upper body strength of a wet leaf."

I still stand by that. There's a player in there, somewhere, just, probably.

You will certainly know more than us about him.It is the managers job to get the best out of him and try to improve on the weaknesses he has.I hope he and players like him respond to someone like Durrant who has been there and done it.That sometimes is the difference..a psychological one.It has worked with a few so called duds we have had over the last few years, who were poor by fans standards at other clubs but did well for us.

Albion Rovers game finished 1-1 in case anyone missed it. The SeaGal got our goal.

It was a pretty meh game, quite stop-start due to the referee, but played at a decent enough intensity.

I'll post some more thoughts on here tonight. The left-back was referred to as 'Boomer' I think, and did reasonably well. Up top Allan put himself about, and certainly looks like he has something. Very physical, and incredibly fast. Hill was Hill. Solid enough.