Sons' sorrow

We must've been one of the easiest teams to buy players off off.  Owen Coyle sold to Clydebank for what, £25k or something?  They sold him on not very long later for £175k.

Got £100k for McCahill from Celtic, but that's more to do with Celtic living up to the Old Firm tactic of "guy plays a blinder in 1 game against them, but him, quick".  He was a good player though, has to be said.

18 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Eddie Annand, Stevie Mallan (no, not that one) Michael Moore and Darren Gribben. Let's not forget Davie McCaig, the Barry Manilow lookalike who scored a 40 yard screamer at Glebe Park to virtually assure Sons of a Premier place in 1984.

Was that the forty yard screamer that bounced about three times before it reached the net?

18 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

Was it not more of a trickler? #hazymemories

13 hours ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Nope!

1 hour ago, Nowhereman said:

Was that the forty yard screamer that bounced about three times before it reached the net?

That's the way I remember it.  It seemed to take an age to get into the net, with the Sons fans behind the goal willing it every inch of the way.

Sounds similar to the goal scored by Tommy McGrain against Hearts at Boghead. Last minute, 2-1 to Hearts Tommy fires a bobbler toward goal. 

It is such a poor shot everyone turns away to leave but Jim Cruickshank goes down like a sack of potatoes and misses it, it ends 2-2.

10 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

Sounds similar to the goal scored by Tommy McGrain against Hearts at Boghead. Last minute, 2-1 to Hearts Tommy fires a bobbler toward goal. 

It is such a poor shot everyone turns away to leave but Jim Cruickshank goes down like a sack of potatoes and misses it, it ends 2-2.

If only the useless bugger had done the same in the SC Cup semi in '76 for Jimmy Cook's effort.*

*I have no idea if Cruikshank was in goal for that game, too young at the time to remember now, and also too lazy now to research for myself.

I think you'll find that was John Brough [emoji39]

2 hours ago, Boghead ranter said:

If only the useless bugger had done the same in the SC Cup semi in '76 for Jimmy Cook's effort.*

*I have no idea if Cruikshank was in goal for that game, too young at the time to remember now, and also too lazy now to research for myself.

Tommy came to us from Sligo rovers in 1979 playing 50 games and scoring two net breaking goals whilst Jim who sadly is no longer with us played only three games in 1978. Willie Whigham Ian livingsstone Jim Harkins were three other colossi who guarded our net who immediately sprang to mind but Alan Martin was probably as good a goalie we have had since the deity known as Lawrie Williams

We must've been one of the easiest teams to buy players off off.  Owen Coyle sold to Clydebank for what, £25k or something?  They sold him on not very long later for £175k.
Got £100k for McCahill from Celtic, but that's more to do with Celtic living up to the Old Firm tactic of "guy plays a blinder in 1 game against them, but him, quick".  He was a good player though, has to be said.

Very early memories of the sons was getting money from Celtic for Graeme Sinclair, not.long after his career was finished due to injury.

Allan Moore to Hearts for 50k was another one