Sons' sorrow

3 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm trying to imagine a skinnier defender than James Creaney and, to be quite honest, I'm struggling to picture it.

I'm sure some of my fellow greybeards will recall Danny Kellachan, AKA Danny Skeleton, the former Thistle and Accies left-back.  Apparently he was so thin as a wean his mother took his socks in....

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That's the very one. Did you use him mainly as a striker, as Transfermarkt seems to reckon he can play in quite a few positions.

We could do with another big lad up top, especially if Nadé is out for a bit.

He was a winger as I recall, and could also play up front although rarely did.

One of these lads that looks the part but never stays anywhere long enough for people to find out. would suggest he'll be alright given a run of games and the manager's backing. Something he's lacked at his clubs in Scotland.

Edited by Ivo den Bieman

25 minutes ago, Ivo den Bieman said:

He was a winger as I recall, and could also play up front although rarely did.

One of these lads that looks the part but never stays anywhere long enough for people to find out. would suggest he'll be alright given a run of games and the manager's backing. Something he's lacked at his clubs in Scotland.

He's the sort of guy we usually go for, and I don't imagine he'd command a particularly big wage. Stevie seems to be good at helping guys settle down, and if they don't cut it moving them on swiftly. 

Sounds like he could be a decent enough squad player, so if he shows up well in the coming friendlies I wouldn't be at all shocked to see us bring him in.

8 hours ago, bigmacDFC said:

That Stranraer fella must have been at a different game. His comments in general are bizarre; especially the Rangers and wage ones.

Was of course just a training game and there's not really much I can say.

S. Gallagher - Didn't fill me with confidence, Jazza was talking him through the game (subbed at halftime)

Smith - didn't have a great game, but we know what he can do.
Dowie - impressed me, a leader and looks like Jamie Carragher.
Barr - positionally not great, but did what he needed to do, comfortable driving with the ball.
McIlduff - didn't have a very good half

C. Gallagher - not involved much, but couple of nice things when he was.
G. Gallagher - I thought he played very well in centre mid; breaking up play and doing a power of running (moved to RB later and didn't have much to do).
Wilson - Did well, just got stuck in in the centre of the park, couple of nice passes.
Carswell - Carswell.
Walsh - again, not involved too much but decent when he was.

Stewart - He's going to need a partner to find him when he makes runs.

Subs:

Hill - Didn't have anything to do, Stranraer hardly had the ball in our half in the second half. Did everything he had to though.
Jordan Allan - looked like he might have something, would definitely say he's worth another look
Chris Johnston - Was a threat, looked pacy and direct. I reckon if we got him playing with confidence he could be very good for us.
Prior - did what was asked of him, passed the ball well.
Sub Keeper (Connor?) - young guy - came in at half time and literally had nothing to do, his kicking looked good though.
Centre back/left back (Anthony) - one of the skinniest people, let alone centre backs, I've ever seen. Didn't have much to do, but did what he had to.

Obviously though it was a training game and isn't a great way to judge players... not that it stopped me.

My god Sir,that is some post for a bounce game,if you learnt something from that game yesterday your good.Nothing more than a fitness get together,the only thing I learnt yesterday is the Scottish Summer is woeful,blew a gale on the first day of July.:blink:

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

Heard two names today from the past, con Murray? Paul foster? I think Murray was from the 50's though, not sure of paul, 

so8 to the rescue 

Con Murray was a keeper iirc. Can't think of a Foster, other than Alan Foster from the mid 90's.

1 hour ago, optimistic said:

Heard two names today from the past, con Murray? Paul foster? I think Murray was from the 50's though, not sure of paul, 

so8 to the rescue 

Con Murray was indeed from the 50s. Goalkeeper who played in my first ever Sons match (tempus volat hora fugit); he even kept a clean sheet. Also in the team that day were a young Andy Jardine at left back and the legendary Hughie Gallacher at centre forward.

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Sellic have played that pretty smartly actually. A PT team in the 2nd tier, then a FT 2nd tier team, now a FT team in the top league.

Would've benefited him more playing against East Kilbride and Cumbernauld Colts every other week for their U20s imo.