Sons' sorrow

Had a little nosey on the PFA players available website and in the list, ex-Sons included Scott Smith, James Creaney, Chris Turner and John Gemmell.

I also noted Ryan Donnelly, he of ex-Airdrie fame. Would he be worth a shot? Stevie could maybe be the one to reignite his career?

I know, I know, I'm bored too and just hanging around for some, any kind of signing news.[emoji30]

John Gemmell, waste of a jersey. Cue doing from Shakey

Had a little nosey on the PFA players available website and in the list, ex-Sons included Scott Smith, James Creaney, Chris Turner and John Gemmell.

I also noted Ryan Donnelly, he of ex-Airdrie fame. Would he be worth a shot? Stevie could maybe be the one to reignite his career?

I saw Donnelly playing for Hurlford United a couple of times a couple of seasons ago. I couldn't believe it was the same player who was at Airdrieonians. Don't know what's gone wrong there.
Looked a pale shadow of his former self.

@Sonsteam of 08 klaxon, @Sonsteam of 08 klaxon.

Capture.JPG

SONS boss Stevie Aitken says he is edging closer to adding to his 2017/18 squad despite still having another week of his holiday to go.

"It's been a busy two weeks," said the manager who contacted us yesterday.

"We're at the point of agreeing terms with players and we will have some news early next week.

"I'm aware the frustration that supporters feel, but Ian and I are working very hard and we are confident that things will fall into place.

"Contracts for players we are targeting are just at this point coming to an end and we also have to factor in holidays.

"There's absolutely no panic.

"We also have to look at the shape of the squad we want. There are a lot of factors and you always have to have a few targets as a lot of things influence things.

"Sometimes, just when you think you have got your target, something scuppers it at the last minute.

"So, we have to make sure we are prepared for whatever happens."

With two games confirmed for the pre-season campaign Stevie confirmed a third fixture.

He said : "We'll play the Bankies at home on the 15th July and on the 8th we'll be at Coatbridge.

"We'll also play Partick Thistle at home on the 11th of July.

"Our training schedule is pretty tight with the competitive games starting in the Betfred Cup on 18th July."

Edited by Boghead ranter

Reads like a holding email to stop fans hyperventilating.

On the assumption that we'll not be bothering with the league or challenge cup again this year I'll be reasonably relaxed if we're still putting the squad together throughout August.

Reads like a holding email to stop fans hyperventilating.
On the assumption that we'll not be bothering with the league or challenge cup again this year I'll be reasonably relaxed if we're still putting the squad together throughout August.

If that is indeed the case fans should be made aware to avoid them forking out for competitive football that we are using as friendlies whilst we build a squad.

The cups should be viewed as a good chance to generate some revenue. Unfortunately we seem to treat them as friendlies on a yearly basis. Our main focus is the league of course, but it wouldn't hurt to try and assemble some bodies that can at least compete with an aim to progressing.

4 minutes ago, Bankies Alive said:

Will Dumbarton be putting out their U20s against us this year.....:whistle

Do keep up, we didn't have U20s last year either. Our team was:;)

Barclay, Pettigrew, Hambleton, Trialist (El Zubadi), Docherty, Kassarate, G.Gallagher, Clark, Trialist (Jay Munro), McCallum, Trialist (??? Burns)

I don't think we'll have any choice but to field a strong team. It's days before the season starts, and I don't see us having more than (say) 14 senior players by then. We could draft in a load of trialists, but that seemed pretty pointless last year given we only signed Todd.

Hope your Junior cloggers don't injure our Premiership bound superstars ;)

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Do keep up, we didn't have U20s last year either. Our team was:;)

Barclay, Pettigrew, Hambleton, Trialist (El Zubadi), Docherty, Kassarate, G.Gallagher, Clark, Trialist (Jay Munro), McCallum, Trialist (??? Burns)

I don't think we'll have any choice but to field a strong team. It's days before the season starts, and I don't see us having more than (say) 14 senior players by then. We could draft in a load of trialists, but that seemed pretty pointless last year given we only signed Todd.

Hope your Junior cloggers don't injure our Premiership bound superstars ;)

Junior cloggers like Bonnyrigg? ;)

Just now, Bankies Alive said:

Junior cloggers like Bonnyrigg? ;)

The very same. A team full of hatchet men, kicking our footballing superstars into the Leven.

In all seriousness though I will forever be grateful to Bonnyrigg for those games. They totally turned our season around.

On a completely different note, I had really convinced myself we'd get some signing news today :( Why do I give myself this false hope?

Brophy has been offered a new contract, but I expect him to turn it down.
We had really high hopes for him, but he's regressed massively. Probably needs to drop a level or two and try and regain his confidence and form.
The next Andy Ryan maybe?

I can't see him signing for us. When he was on loan he could barely get a game, with Aitken prefering the absolute embarassment that is Steven Craig over him.

Other than Mark Brown he's probably one of the least interested players I've ever seen turn out for Dumbarton, and I've seen us finish 2nd bottom of the old 3rd division before.

If Aitken didn't rate him then, I can't see him rating him now.

2 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can't see him signing for us. When he was on loan he could barely get a game, with Aitken prefering the absolute embarassment that is Steven Craig over him.

Other than Mark Brown he's probably one of the least interested players I've ever seen turn out for Dumbarton, and I've seen us finish 2nd bottom of the old 3rd division before.

If Aitken didn't rate him then, I can't see him rating him now.

I don't think he didn't rate him, more that he was playing such miserable hoofball that he wanted to play a 'big lad'.

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14130285.Dumbarton_boss_Stevie_Aitken_hopeful_of_bringing_Hamilton_youngster_Eamonn_Brophy_back_to_the_club/

Would be pretty pleased if we could get him back, but I suspect he'll have better offers. Wish we'd hurry up and sign someone though! This pre-season has driven me absolutely mental.

I don't think he didn't rate him, more that he was playing such miserable hoofball that he wanted to play a 'big lad'.
http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/news/14130285.Dumbarton_boss_Stevie_Aitken_hopeful_of_bringing_Hamilton_youngster_Eamonn_Brophy_back_to_the_club/
Would be pretty pleased if we could get him back, but I suspect he'll have better offers. Wish we'd hurry up and sign someone though! This pre-season has driven me absolutely mental.

Christ, 'big lad' is the opposite of Minter Craig. Brophy was a solid wee b*****d, unlike Craig.

I'd be delighted to see him join us.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Christ, 'big lad' is the opposite of Minter Craig. Brophy was a solid wee b*****d, unlike Craig.

I'd be delighted to see him join us.

Craig was designed (if that's the correct word) as more of a targetman type. I think. That's certainly how he tried to play, but without the part of the game where you actually win headers...or hold the ball up...or score.

Brophy strikes me as the sort of player who'd probably get a decent number of goals at this level consistently, but struggle to make the step up. A sort of Scottish Cameron Jerome if you will.