Sons' sorrow

Patience is the key, I know, but this all feels a bit messy. Aside from the lack of rumours regarding players coming here, our gaffer is on a 3 week holiday, which is fair enough if he thinks he can get a squad together whilst he's lying on a beach, but I suspect he'll get some criticism for that if we end up scrambling for players. We currently have no pre-season friendlies arranged. Pre-season training starts in 2 weeks, you'd expect he wants his squad signed up for then. That can all change with a group of signings to settle everyone's nerves, but as each day goes by it looks like we're sitting with our thumb up our arse whilst everyone else prepares for a difficult season.

Contrast this with last season, we had all of our targets signed up by now and we were going into pre-season just waiting to see what loans would be available. This feels disorganised in comparison.

Patience is the key, I know, but this all feels a bit messy. Aside from the lack of rumours regarding players coming here, our gaffer is on a 3 week holiday, which is fair enough if he thinks he can get a squad together whilst he's lying on a beach, but I suspect he'll get some criticism for that if we end up scrambling for players. We currently have no pre-season friendlies arranged. Pre-season training starts in 2 weeks, you'd expect he wants his squad signed up for then. That can all change with a group of signings to settle everyone's nerves, but as each day goes by it looks like we're sitting with our thumb up our arse whilst everyone else prepares for a difficult season.
Contrast this with last season, we had all of our targets signed up by now and we were going into pre-season just waiting to see what loans would be available. This feels disorganised in comparison.

I fully agree.

To have only 7 signed up at this stage is slightly concerning. It's also slightly concerning that the players we do have signed up are the ones from the squad who more mostly 'meh' last season, apart from Carswell and Smith. All our best players have left.

It reminds me a lot of when I got vibes off of Ian Murray that he couldn't be arsed anymore. Average players being retained and slow laboured transfer activity with very little in the way of rumours. Having no pre season friendlies arranged at this stage is a shambles and simply adds to the 'canny be arsed anymore' vibes.

Finger out Stevie and Ian.

Concerning that no new signings have committed yet, maybe something to do with not being able to talk face to face with Stevie, but I'd imagine a lot will be going on behind the scenes, but Stevie expected signings by now, listening to his interview, so it concerns me that no one actually has, apart from those retained of course.

I absolutely do not grudge Stevie a holiday, but if that's playing any role whatsoever in us being in a pretty poor situation at the moment, then he'll take some stick for it. I'd like to think that players will be happy to speak on the phone to him, or with Durrant, and get things sorted, but if it's (for whatever reason) hampering our process then it's a frankly bizarre situation to be in.

The friendlies situation is odd too. I thought we might have a few things lined up depending on the Betfred draw. Something agreed in principle between, say, us and Motherwell assuming we didn't draw each other. That doesn't appear to be the case though, which is also odd. I'd imagine we'll play Stranraer at Tinto Park again given our close ties, but apart from that who knows? I can't imagine it's too difficult a thing to arrange.

Given pre-season is getting closer and closer I keep convincing myself we'll hear something each day. We need (at least) ten players signed up. Some friendlies announced, and the new kit shown (trivial I know, but I'm looking forward to seeing it).

If we lose Barr to Morton (as has been rumoured) then we have a stupidly big rebuild to do, and little time to complete it. A first choice goalkeeper, two centre-backs, a left-back, a creative centre mid, a couple of widemen and (at least) two out and out forwards are needed. 

I had hoped by now we'd have a spine signed up. In last season's case (and I know they weren't all signed up by now, or even in this window) Aldo, Buchanan, Carswell, Stirling, Thomson, Fleming. Guys who have the quality for this level, and need just a few quality loan players (Harvie, J.Thomson, Stanton) sprinkled in for a decent mix. At the moment we have two guys I'd have as stick on starters (Smith, Carswell), two guys who will be good squad players, and might play a decent part (Nade, SeaGal) and a few guys who you'd imagine will be back up (G.Gal, Prior, Ewings). We need some serious quality to even consider staying up again this year.

Stevie's PITK strategy does often pay off, but it's a risk and takes a lot of waiting. We went in for Nade in the summer of '15, and Carsy this time last year remember, and neither of them joined up until the following January. What happens if the same happens with his current targets? Where does that leave us? Especially with Stuart Millar.

Looking around there are a decent number of free-agents who could probably do a job for us. Off the top of my head I wouldn't be against us bringing in any of Dale Hilson, Andy Dowie, Alex Harris, Sean Welsh, Aaron Lennox, Lawrence Shankland, Mark Ridgers, Joe Chalmers, Greig Spence and Scott Gallacher all of whom are free at the minute (as far as I know). Who knows how realistic any of those guys are - or if we're working on any of them - but it shows there is some quality out there.

Desperate for us to announce something soon

7 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I had hoped by now we'd have a spine signed up. In last season's case (and I know they weren't all signed up by now, or even in this window) Aldo, Buchanan, Carswell, Stirling, Thomson, Fleming. Guys who have the quality for this level, and need just a few quality loan players (Harvie, J.Thomson, Stanton) sprinkled in for a decent mix. At the moment we have two guys I'd have as stick on starters (Smith, Carswell), two guys who will be good squad players, and might play a decent part (Nade, SeaGal) and a few guys who you'd imagine will be back up (G.Gal, Prior, Ewings). We need some serious quality to even consider staying up again this year.

Decent assessment, there are plenty players available at the moment that have the quality required, it's Stevie's job to get them in now.

On the above paragraph though, don't kid yourself on that Grant Gall will be back up. He'll start every game alongside Carswell as long as both are fit. I'm willing to bet large on that.

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

Decent assessment, there are plenty players available at the moment that have the quality required, it's Stevie's job to get them in now.

On the above paragraph though, don't kid yourself on that Grant Gall will be back up. He'll start every game alongside Carswell as long as both are fit. I'm willing to bet large on that.

Every confidence in the GeaGal to totally prove me wrong*. Not quite sure he'll be in the same league as Stanton, but he could probably play the Sparky role (minus the wind assisted corners) relatively comfortably. 

Spoiler

This may or may not be accurate. However I'm attempting to fill myself up with any positivity I can find. Noticed he put on Twitter a while back that he might be changing his shirt number. If he goes for something outlandish like 85 or 91 or whatever I'll fully endorse him for captain.

Just now, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Every confidence in the GeaGal to totally prove me wrong*. Not quite sure he'll be in the same league as Stanton, but he could probably play the Sparky role (minus the wind assisted corners) relatively comfortably. 

Hide contents

This may or may not be accurate. However I'm attempting to fill myself up with any positivity I can find. Noticed he put on Twitter a while back that he might be changing his shirt number. If he goes for something outlandish like 85 or 91 or whatever I'll fully endorse him for captain.

Yeah, I can see him doing Sparky's role no problem and lets be honest, if he plays well he'll be like a new signing for us.

Spoiler

G. Gall 69. Take my shirt sponsor money.

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Looking around there are a decent number of free-agents who could probably do a job for us. Off the top of my head I wouldn't be against us bringing in any of Dale Hilson, Andy Dowie, Alex Harris, Sean Welsh, Aaron Lennox, Lawrence Shankland, Mark Ridgers, Joe Chalmers, Greig Spence and Scott Gallacher all of whom are free at the minute (as far as I know). Who knows how realistic any of those guys are - or if we're working on any of them - but it shows there is some quality out there.

Welsh will be unfortunate if he's not still plying his trade in the Premier next season.

By most accounts, Ridgers had all but signed for Livi. Not sure where that one stands at the minute.

Edited by Armand 2

18 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Darren Barr is our new development squad coach. He'll be registered as a player in case of an injury crisis. 

Sounds like a tidy wee gig for him.  I wish him all the best and thank him for his work over the past two-years.

Trying.. not.. to.. panic...

I agree that with each couple of days that passes with no new signings news, it does bring slight concern, but it could all look a good bit rosier with a few signings on say, Thursday, just as an example.

I know it'd be ideal to have most of the squad signed up and pre-season friendlies arranged etc, but we're not in an ideal world. We will be waiting on players, we do have a manager on holiday. What I would be concerned at would be if there wasn't a tonne of work being done by those as the club and ID to make sure we hit the ground running when the time comes, regardless of Stevie's current holiday.

3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

At this rate, I would have settled for a Tom Lang/Mark Docherty centre back combo.

Letting Lang go looks crazy now with both our CBs moving on.  Wouldn't have been on a high wage and with our lack of youth team we are going to need all the bodies we can get considering we normally have a spell during the season where we can't fill the bench without youths.

Not keeping Lang is now potentially looking like a poor decision.

Letting Lang go looks crazy now with both our CBs moving on.  Wouldn't have been on a high wage and with our lack of youth team we are going to need all the bodies we can get considering we normally have a spell during the season where we can't fill the bench without youths.

Both myself and @Sonsteamof08 we're of the same opinion regarding Lang when he was released. It just now puts pressure on Aitken to get in suitable replacements, and he'll, as all managers do, live or die by his signings and how well they do.

41 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Darren Barr is our new development squad coach. He'll be registered as a player in case of an injury crisis. 

That's a weird one. I know he's struggled with injuries, but he was perfectly fit for pretty much two years for us. Would've thought he would've wanted to keep playing. Good luck to him anyway, good gig he's got there and it must be nice for him to be involved in coaching at such a young age.

5 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Both myself and @Sonsteamof08 we're of the same opinion regarding Lang when he was released. It just now puts pressure on Aitken to get in suitable replacements, and he'll, as all managers do, live or die by his signings and how well they do.

Foresight is the key. As it turns out. 

At this point, Sparky too, although I appreciate after the Carswell incident his days were probably numbered. With the likelihood of a small squad, his ability to cover LB, CB and DM would have been useful.

On the subject of friendlies, we've always got four games in the Betfred Cup that can fill in! [emoji3]

3 minutes ago, lionel wickson said:

At this point, Sparky too, although I appreciate after the Carswell incident his days were probably numbered. With the likelihood of a small squad, his ability to cover LB, CB and DM would have been useful.

On the subject of friendlies, we've always got four games in the Betfred Cup that can fill in! emoji3.png

Thing is when the section games were brought in the idea was that they would substitute for friendlies. Of course no-one really looks on them as that and all that has happened is that clubs arrange friendlies for the end of June. The early start to the season doesn't really do us any favours.