Sons' sorrow

I asked the question earlier in the week regarding why our budgets would be reduced. Half rhetorical and half actually wondering why.

Skyline Drifter as he said above, gave a very detailed and well reasoned answer. The visits of Hamilton (for example), Brechin and Inverness will in no way compare to Hibs, Ayr or Rangers, so our budget will take a hit there. (It was SD who came up with figures, it's not my forte).

We have a core support that is neither swelling or shrinking, we have minimal (read SFA) investment from our glorious leaders and little to no non footballing revenue streams as far as I understand.

So I think to have a smaller budget isn't to be wholly unexpected. Yes, I'd love us to have been able to keep hold of Alan Martin or offer a tempter to Gregor Buchanan. But at the end of the day, we're a pretty small fish in a comparatively big pond, and a part-time fish, if you will, at that.

I'd much rather we spent within our means (whatever that may be), just look at livi, Airdrie, Dunfermline and others, than spend a few bucks more which could jeopardise our stability and future. Something we of all clubs can ill-afford to do, particularly at this time.

I suspect the likes of Barr, Buchanan will have taking decent chunks of the budget when they signed and had improved terms to stay on last term. It's also very possible that even if our budget was the same, another increase would be taking them out of our comfort zone, coupled with interest from ft clubs making it an lose/lose scenario for us.

Stevie has shown with us and Stranraer he can build a squad with a low budget and we could potentially discover a few gems.

Does losing Hibs/Raith etc and getting Brechin/Livi not potentially affect us LESS than everyone else, due to the smaller capacity of The Rock?

Our usual attendance is what, 1000?  so if 'big' team comes into town, we get an extra 1000 or so, compared to usual.  Surely your Morton's, St Mirren's etc, with their larger capacities, can get more than 1000 extra punters in for big games.

Therefore they are dropping more punters than we are?

Are has this been a long week, the sun's gone to my head, and my logic is flawed?

8 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Does losing Hibs/Raith etc and getting Brechin/Livi not potentially affect us LESS than everyone else, due to the smaller capacity of The Rock?

Our usual attendance is what, 1000?  so if 'big' team comes into town, we get an extra 1000 or so, compared to usual.  Surely your Morton's, St Mirren's etc, with their larger capacities, can get more than 1000 extra punters in for big games.

Therefore they are dropping more punters than we are?

Are has this been a long week, the sun's gone to my head, and my logic is flawed?

Well yes, but affecting them more doesn't change the fact that your income is dropping significantly and therefore your budgets have to. Others may also be dropping their budgets but the marginal effect when they have far bigger home supports is less. If you have less physical cash to spend on players then contract offers will have to reduce.

The Buds, like everyone else,  will also miss out on the Hibs Away support and Ayr brought a half decent number. And Raith's support was certainly better than what Livi or Brechin will bring. Inverness will bring zilch and Hamilton can only take 500 as an Away support to their most important game in years.

On the flip side for us attendances started to rise after Rae was punted and JR started playing attractive football as we slowly climbed out of the mire. The feel-good factor at the Club is the best it has been in years so hopefully that also results in an increase in season ticket sales and average Home attendances. But it would help everyone if Hamilton beat Dundee Utd and at least they still remained in the League.

43 minutes ago, NorthBank said:

But it would help everyone if Hamilton beat Dundee Utd and at least they still remained in the League.

Not convinced it would make much odds to us. Might be marginally better with United but its marginal given the geographical factor. Given United's departure would hurt others more I would be fine with it.

Not convinced it would make much odds to us. Might be marginally better with United but its marginal given the geographical factor. Given United's departure would hurt others more I would be fine with it.

What an asset Skyline Drifter is to P&B. Highly knowledgable, makes valuable contributions to other threads and puts his own team first in a way that doesn't irritate. I hope he keeps dropping in. [emoji106]????

What an asset Skyline Drifter is to P&B. Highly knowledgable, makes valuable contributions to other threads and puts his own team first in a way that doesn't irritate. I hope he keeps dropping in. [emoji106]????

It's just a shame his gaffer thinks it's sound to bump our best players.

Not cool Skyline Drifter, really not cool.

47 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

It's just a shame his gaffer thinks it's sound to bump our best players.

Not cool Skyline Drifter, really not cool.

Sorry mate. :(

Maybe we will send 1 or 2 your way to make up for it. #Sonhamers

Edited by Skyline Drifter

The Dobbie show that December day in Montrose was one of the best in my 30 odd years of watching the sons.

That's right Supersons I remember. You were sitting down from me in the 2nd half when he ran the show. Was it 5-0 we won?

6 hours ago, sons'r'us said:

That's right Supersons I remember. You were sitting down from me in the 2nd half when he ran the show. Was it 5-0 we won?

I remember I got the train up with my brother and a couple of mates. That was some performance that day. 2 goals and 2 assists for Dobbie if I remember right. Must have been 23rd?? December 2006. One of his last performances with us too as he moved on to Queens in the January.

ETA - got most of the details right. Have a look at the team that day... :lol:

Screenshot_20170527-070106.png

Edited by squeezeboxson

That was a very good interview. Wee Stevie always comes across really well. He is a genuine top bloke. I like the way he answers the questions and he seems very honest and realistic about things.

That interview certainly gives us some confidence moving ahead.