Sons' sorrow

Just now, DumbartonTheSons said:

Yeah I'd like to think our board have been savvy enough to consider all the possible scenarios so that if, and it's still an if, Aitken goes, we can hit the ground running with regards to appointing a replacement.

I'd hope so. I'm not anti-Aitken, i'm pro Dumbarton FC. Hopefully all sorted soon.

For avoidance of doubt he is contracted until 27th May

Has it been officially confirmed he has to make a decision before his contract expires?

I'm not very ITK about how these things work but does the end of his contract date really matter in this scenario? Our offer will still be on the table I'd assume unless we've told him that's the deadline.

Whats the story with tony mcnally leaving his ydi post? Is there no budget, or has there been interference somehow?

I heard today by someone very close to Tony that he was told to leave and if he did so it would be put out favourably in the media. Basically he was shoved out the door as our owners have no money to pay him. I would be very surprised if we have a youth set up in the foreseeable future!

I heard today by someone very close to Tony that he was told to leave and if he did so it would be put out favourably in the media. Basically he was shoved out the door as our owners have no money to pay him. I would be very surprised if we have a youth set up in the foreseeable future!

That is worrying but not surprising. I had heard the youth set up was under scrutiny. If it goes that's another cost cutter to focus entirely on 1st team which in the long term is the wrong call. However is perhaps understandable given the uncertainty in the long term with our current owners.

This could be the start of the end of our up turn of fortunes on the pitch.

The youth set up issue is down to 'Project Brave' as far as I know. Funding is being cut and it's not going to be viable for us to fund it ourselves.

Unfortunately our youth system has produced ziltch. The better players would be snapped up by bigger fish long before they ever reach our first team unfortunately.

David Hopkin saying at half-time on Alba that Livi have 15 players signed up for next season. 

Now, we don't have 15 to sign up, and they are obviously better off than us, but still. It highlights just how concerning having nobody signed up now is imo.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

That is worrying but not surprising. I had heard the youth set up was under scrutiny. If it goes that's another cost cutter to focus entirely on 1st team which in the long term is the wrong call. However is perhaps understandable given the uncertainty in the long term with our current owners.

This could be the start of the end of our up turn of fortunes on the pitch.

I agree. I'd love us to have a sustainable, settled and worthwhile youth system.

While it's probably 'the way forward' for Scottish football in general, as has been pointed out, it's not sustainable for us.

It's produced almost nothing since it's conception (when was that by the way, just out of interest?) so while we seem to be in a period of reducing budgets etc, it's money that could be better used in attempting to keep us competing at the highest level possible. And that's what's going to make us successful and get bums on seats, not having a decent youth set-up, which as has also been said, will get plundered by the bigger clubs for any smidgin of talent it produces long before it's 'worthwhile' for us as a club.

David Hopkin saying at half-time on Alba that Livi have 15 players signed up for next season. 
Now, we don't have 15 to sign up, and they are obviously better off than us, but still. It highlights just how concerning having nobody signed up now is imo.

If it's true then it's commendable and impressive organisation from Livingston (I know, who'd have thunk it?). But I'm not sure if it's entirely relevant.

If it's 15 players from last season then, all sarcasm etc aside, they're League One players. I'd imagine there'd be some I'd happily see at Dumbarton, but if most of them played for Livingston last season, they played in League One for a reason.

So it's Brechin who join the championship via the play-offs. Well Done to them, and from a purely selfish point of view, it's who we'd want I'd have said.

Aye you can't see past them for bottom spot. It was a good spectacle and well done to Brechin. But getting back to reality, they'll need to strengthen significantly to avoid the drop which will be financially impossible you'd imagine. They looked far worse than this season's Ayr.

We could be near the bottom next season as well so I'm happy they're up as well :lol:

3 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

So it's Brechin who join the championship via the play-offs. Well Done to them, and from a purely selfish point of view, it's who we'd want I'd have said.

I think for travelling Alloa would have been better.Inverness is going to be a costly away day too.Hope Hamilton get relegated now.

No idea just rumour mill. Was he on loan from Hibs?

Aye, has a year to run on his Hibs deal, but I'd imagine they'll let him move on for nothing.

He is an exceptional player if you get him in a deep midfield role alongside a defensive mid, and get his confidence flowing. Genuinely one of the most talented guys I've seen with us in recent years.

Aye, has a year to run on his Hibs deal, but I'd imagine they'll let him move on for nothing.

He is an exceptional player if you get him in a deep midfield role alongside a defensive mid, and get his confidence flowing. Genuinely one of the most talented guys I've seen with us in recent years.

As I said just a rumour floating about

14 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

I think for travelling Alloa would have been better.Inverness is going to be a costly away day too.Hope Hamilton get relegated now.

Can't fathom this attitude. 

Just now, itzdrk said:

Can't fathom this attitude. 

Apparently long away days are more expensive for the club.Having Hamilton in the league i think will be easier for us than Dundee United next season.Its a POV not an attitude.