Sons' sorrow

There's a Raith fan on their thread who has it from the same source that told him about Locke and McKinnon that Aitken is on the three man shortlist for their job.

This period of waiting whilst he decides is exactly what I didn't want to happen. 

38 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

There's a Raith fan on their thread who has it from the same source that told him about Locke and McKinnon that Aitken is on the three man shortlist for their job.

This period of waiting whilst he decides is exactly what I didn't want to happen. 

Well, the sooner we know one way or the other the better.  If he does go then it will likely be total rebuild, not a good situation.

4 minutes ago, Frank Quitely said:

Well, the sooner we know one way or the other the better.  If he does go then it will likely be total rebuild, not a good situation.

Unless Durrant has done enough to be offered the job, and he accepts it.

He seems to have built a good relationship with the players, so far.

I think we need to accept some realities here.  SA and ID currently have contract offers from DFC; in signing these (if they do) then they will be acutely aware of how difficult a job they are signing up for, ie trying to build a squad capable of competing in the Championship with a very small (an reducing) budget relative to their rivals.  Added to which there is negligible investment likely to be forthcoming under the present ramshackle ownership and they are limited to players who are willing to take a part-time gig.

Now that is a big ask in anyone's book, so if other managerial positions arise should anyone be surprised if both guys wish to consider all their options ?  Sure Raith are now a division lower but they are also a full-time club with a core of signed players, a decent prospect for a young manager wishing to step up the ladder.

If they elect to decline the contracts then I think there's the distinct possibility we could be be looking at a completely empty dressing room.

I think we need to accept some realities here.  SA and ID currently have contract offers from DFC; in signing these (if they do) then they will be acutely aware of how difficult a job they are signing up for, ie trying to build a squad capable of competing in the Championship with a very small (an reducing) budget relative to their rivals.  Added to which there is negligible investment likely to be forthcoming under the present ramshackle ownership and they are limited to players who are willing to take a part-time gig.
Now that is a big ask in anyone's book, so if other managerial positions arise should anyone be surprised if both guys wish to consider all their options ?  Sure Raith are now a division lower but they are also a full-time club with a core of signed players, a decent prospect for a young manager wishing to step up the ladder.
If they elect to decline the contracts then I think there's the distinct possibility we could be be looking at a completely empty dressing room.

True but wouldn't going to Raith be a huge risk for Aitken. Give up your outside job to go full time, fail to win the league and you'd likely be sacked. Stay with Dumbarton and even if you go down your reputation isn't damaged too much. Murray made the wrong choice going to St Mirren because of the expectation there. Going to Raith could do the same for Aitken

If they elect to decline the contracts then I think there's the distinct possibility we could be be looking at a completely empty dressing room

I don't disagree with anything you've said. I certainly don't begrudge Aitken the chance to wait and see what offer(s) he gets and we're a stepping stone for both players and managers, so I don't mind him waiting a bit. Albeit there may come a time where we need to take the decision from him, depending on the length of time.

With regards to your last point, is that vastly different to most seasons? I too would love to see at least a few signing in the coming week or so as I know you would as well, but every summer is always a huge rebuild, so I'm not too concerned at this stage.

Maybe someone who has the stats (looking at you Sonsteam of 08) could give the details, but how many players did we have signed at this stage of each of the last couple of seasons? I'd imagine it's a couple at best, so if in a week's time we don't have any, I don't think there'd be a need to panic.

As the mantra goes, patience is key...

If I was the board, i'd have been sounding out Young already at this point.

Imo, we owe Aitken, and Murray prior, nothing. It was a benefit to them at the time as much as us. 

Edited by Cruyff14

Regardless of how tough a job it is for Aitken, we are shooting ourselves in the foot a bit by hanging around waiting.

Currently hee haw is getting done. Other than Higgins we've been linked with no one and absolutely no will sign or commit for another season whilst this saga drags on. Aitken is not irreplaceable and IMO we should have set a deadline of this week for him to sign. If he chooses to move on then so be it, we've left ourselves time to deal with it.

As it stands we could be looking at not knowing until pretty much June. That would be a disaster with only a matter of weeks until the League Cup kicks off. No gaffer, no players and no time to deal with it. Also, if Aitken does decide to stay at that point will it simply be because there is nothing else available? I'm not sure that's great either.

I understand there may not be much out there in terms of a replacement but I don't think hanging about until June awaiting Aitken's decision is benefitting us. We're currently in a situation where other teams around us are strengthening whilst we pussyfoot around allowing Aitken to call the shots. We're taking a huge risk here, and I'm not sure it will pay off.

Would you all simmer doon. This could easily be the same thread as last close season when Aitken was linked to other clubs.

We'll have confirmation by early next week. It's the price you pay for success.

The previous 25 years to this run all but 2 managers were sacked for being shite i'd much rather this.

Would you all simmer doon. This could easily be the same thread as last close season when Aitken was linked to other clubs.

We'll have confirmation by early next week. It's the price you pay for success.

The previous 25 years to this run so all but one 2 managers sacked for being shite i'd much rather this.

How will we know next week? He's contracted until the end of the month. If he's waiting to see what crops up we may not have a decision for nearly another fortnight.

We should be setting a deadline. That deadline should allow us time to organise ourselves in the event of his departure. If he decides that's not for him then tough titty, we wave him goodbye, thank him for his efforts and find an ample replacement.

Lets not forget the League Cup kicks off on the 15th of July. We need to have a squad assembeled that is able to compete in friendlies half way through June.

Naebdy needs to simmer down. The chat has been reasonable and level headed.

If I was the board, i'd have been sounding out Young already at this point.
Imo, we owe Aitken, and Murray prior, nothing. It was a benefit to them at the time as much as us. 

Yeah I'd like to think our board have been savvy enough to consider all the possible scenarios so that if, and it's still an if, Aitken goes, we can hit the ground running with regards to appointing a replacement.