Sons' sorrow

I didnt miss your point, I picked up on a different point. When you said "tax" did you mean "vat"? If you did then you are right. I took it you meant corporation tax though. Its debatable whether income donated to a football club is taxable or not but fairly unlikely football clubs are paying any tax anyway. Most of them are loss making or have tax losses brought forward to offset profits against.

Ok then VAT. But as said that wasn't really my point. Although I'm glad you clarified that.

On another point. Perhaps you may know. Would it be stretching it to ask for tax back on donations to football clubs if they were shown to be a non profit making club . Especially if it were seen as a community asset. In which case had similarities to a charity.

I think I know the answer but maybe supporters trusts is a way to do this.
Do they not have charitable status?

2 minutes ago, sons'r'us said:

Ok then VAT. But as said that wasn't really my point. Although I'm glad you clarified that.

On another point. Perhaps you may know. Would it be stretching it to ask for tax back on donations to football clubs if they were shown to be a non profit making club . Especially if it were seen as a community asset. In which case had similarities to a charity.

I think I know the answer but maybe supporters trusts is a way to do this.
Do they not have charitable status?

You could claim against donations to charity. I dont think there is any football club registered directly as a charity though and I doubt any Supporters Trusts are either. Generally they are registered as Community Benefit Societies. 

Some football clubs have linked charitable organisations though, carrying out their community work (which wouldnt include donations for a player fund). I believe Falkirk do and clearly many of the top league sides. We are looking into it.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I didnt miss your point, I picked up on a different point. When you said "tax" did you mean "vat"? If you did then you are right. I took it you meant corporation tax though. Its debatable whether income donated to a football club is taxable or not but fairly unlikely football clubs are paying any tax anyway. Most of them are loss making or have tax losses brought forward to offset profits against.

Just to clarify, VAT is a tax paid at each stage of a production/service or process. It is payable whether the company makes a profit or not. The only way a registered business/company can avoid paying VAT is if the amount they have reclaimed on purchases, exceeds the amount they have received. This will hardly ever be the case with a fitba' club. Football clubs will also pay employers national insurance contributions and local business rates (both taxation) regardless of whether they make a profit.

Out of the £260 adult season ticket fee, £43.33 goes straight to HMRC in VAT regardless of profit.

9 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Just to clarify, VAT is a tax paid at each stage of a production/service or process. It is payable whether the company makes a profit or not. The only way a registered business/company can avoid paying VAT is if the amount they have reclaimed on purchases, exceeds the amount they have received. This will hardly ever be the case with a fitba' club. Football clubs will also pay employers national insurance contributions and local business rates (both taxation) regardless of whether they make a profit.

Out of the £260 adult season ticket fee, £43.33 goes straight to HMRC in VAT regardless of profit.

Well yes, obviously. Not terribly relevant to the post you quoted though which was expressly about corporation tax on donations and I already said he was right with respect to VAT.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well yes, obviously. Not terribly relevant to the post you quoted though which was expressly about corporation tax on donations though and I already said he was right with respect to VAT.

I was responding to your comment "fairly unlikely football clubs are paying any tax anyway". I was aware of your context but others may not have been.

And we've never been beaten in European competition by Anderlecht - like your statement above it's factually accurate but utterly meaningless.
Will you therefore agree to my assertion that home support is disappearing rapidly, or explain why I'm mistaken ?

I'm not sure to be honest. For the last thirty five years our crowds have generally been around the thousand mark. Nowadays it's easy to se the split between home and away. At Boghead it wasn't so easy. What is prove able is that our season ticket sales are as good as they have ever been. And I'm not sure why the fact that our crowds arn't falling is utterly meaningless

Other than staying up can anyone remember the last time the club was awash with nice happy news, or just not constantly shrouded in negativity?

It's seems like it's just a cloud of negativity and bad stuff. Ownership issues, board room issues, budget cuts, stadium issues, price increases, youth team funding issues.

It's suckin the fuckin life oota me. It's just one constant cycle of negativity and politics.

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Other than staying up can anyone remember the last time the club was awash with nice happy news, or just not constantly shrouded in negativity?

It's seems like it's just a cloud of negativity and bad stuff. Ownership issues, board room issues, budget cuts, stadium issues, price increases, youth team funding issues.

It's suckin the fuckin life oota me. It's just one constant cycle of negativity and politics.

Pfft everything's great, let's see...

• We currently have no confirmation who our manager will be, with pre-season starting in roughly a month
  • We currently have the grand total of 0/none/zilch/nada signed players
  • We currently have no head of youth
  • We've rammed season ticket prices up, peeving off lifelong fans
  • We've rammed gate prices up, potentially deterring any walk up punters
  • We've got a stadium that requires extensive work
  • We've got owners who treat the fans with contempt, whilst trying to hide their true identity
  • We've got owners who will neglect the stadium work until it's absolutely, 100% necessary 
  • We've got owners who are desperately trying to get us to buy into a plan about as watertight as sieve
  • We've lost our top goalscorer and our leading assister to league rivals
  • We've been asked to fill in a survey by our owners that has no relation to our new stadium
  • We're being told every pre-season that 'the budget's been cut' having run with a tiny squad last season
  • The politics going on behind the scenes appears to outdo the Labour Party at the moment

I get the feeling when this excellent period ends we'll have a few tough seasons ahead. 

On the positive side our kits are smashing, so even if we do have a disastrous few years at least we'll look good.

#FridayFeeling

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

58 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

• We currently have no confirmation who our manager will be, with pre-season starting in roughly a month
  • We've got owners who treat the fans with contempt, whilst trying to hide their true identity
  • We've got owners who will neglect the stadium work until it's absolutely, 100% necessary 
  • We've got owners who are desperately trying to get us to buy into a plan about as watertight as sieve
  • We've been asked to fill in a survey by our owners that has no relation to our new stadium
  • We're being told every pre-season that 'the budget's been cut' having run with a tiny squad last season
  • The politics going on behind the scenes appears to outdo the Labour Party at the moment

I get the feeling when this excellent period ends we'll have a few tough seasons ahead. 

On the positive side our kits are smashing, so even if we do have a disastrous few years at least we'll look good.

#FridayFeeling

Capture.JPG.495f35d6ab8ff21947e9f16787e2da45.JPG

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

#FridayFeeling

Want some good news? Play for the Sons event is now full so we'll have two full teams under the stewardship of Paddy and Stuart on the 8th of July. Might turn into DFC trials for the forthcoming season at this rate mind you...

Want some good news? Play for the Sons event is now full so we'll have two full teams under the stewardship of Paddy and Stuart on the 8th of July. Might turn into DFC trials for the forthcoming season at this rate mind you...

Can always count on you, ya little beacon of positivity.

Good news indeed.

Good work! Now get that money poured into the 'Keep Alan Martin at the Rock' fund.

In the Reporter that we missed out on Chris Higgins...

Odd quote from Stevie this: "He was someone that we were interested in, he's a good player, experienced - a captain as well."

I like Higgins, I think he's a good player but the fact we're looking for an experienced centre-half suggests to me that one of Barr or Buchanan are away - and the latter part of that quote would point to Barr.

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/sport/15296838.League_One_side_beat_Dumbarton_to_signing_target/

Great news the teams are full should be a great afternoon, the big question is will So8 be making an appearance or has he s**t oot it.