Sons' sorrow

9 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our new walk up price is 20 quid, with all ticket matches being priced at 22 quid.

Is it just me or is that fuckin howling? I understand football as a whole is overpriced in this country but f**k me, 20 quid!? I know it's only up 2 quid from last year but with these new prices that must be one of the most expensive in the league.

If I was a fairweather fan I'd laugh at the prospect of paying that to watch us.

Early bird season tickets are 260 this year, what were they last year?

I thought that was expensive too. My early bird ticket was £225 last year.

I must admit when I first clocked the walk up prices I was pretty shocked. That’s an incredible amount, and it will turn away any average punters I’d imagine. I certainly wouldn’t touch a game at that price as a neutral.

In saying that part of me understands why. We probably have a hardcore of about 450 fans, the majority of whom are season ticket holders. If we only pick up 30 or 40 ‘walk ups’ a game then reducing this number slightly whilst pumping the prices up won’t make a massive difference. We had the super early season ticket bird offer thing way back (where I picked up mine) which was a good deal and, whilst early bird prices have still increased, I still think they are reasonable value for money.

Well, that’s not actually true, football as a whole is horribly overpriced, but in that market they are reasonable enough.

Given Brabco’s plans for a brand new stadium, surely they could supplement the prices slightly in order to try and create more Sons’ fans? That way the SonsSuperDrome might be a wee bit busier in line with their aims.

I jest of course, there’s not a chance they’d ever do anything of the sort that might leave them out of pocket…

Would I still be a Sons fan if those were the walk up prices and I was a casual fan looking for a game or a team? Probably. Like many of us on here it’s a family thing, and I guess that’s what the club are counting on. That won’t last forever though.

To stay in this league it’s going to cost us. I understand that. However part of me is thinking that a return to the seaside leagues with lower prices and lower wages might just help safeguard the club’s fanbase for the future. We’re at risk of losing people here, and that’s one we really can’t take.

I must admit when I first clocked the walk up prices I was pretty shocked. That’s an incredible amount, and it will turn away any average punters I’d imagine. I certainly wouldn’t touch a game at that price as a neutral.
In saying that part of me understands why. We probably have a hardcore of about 450 fans, the majority of whom are season ticket holders. If we only pick up 30 or 40 ‘walk ups’ a game then reducing this number slightly whilst pumping the prices up won’t make a massive difference. We had the super early season ticket bird offer thing way back (where I picked up mine) which was a good deal and, whilst early bird prices have still increased, I still think they are reasonable value for money.
Well, that’s not actually true, football as a whole is horribly overpriced, but in that market they are reasonable enough.
Given Brabco’s plans for a brand new stadium, surely they could supplement the prices slightly in order to try and create more Sons’ fans? That way the SonsSuperDrome might be a wee bit busier in line with their aims.
I jest of course, there’s not a chance they’d ever do anything of the sort that might leave them out of pocket…

Would I still be a Sons fan if those were the walk up prices and I was a casual fan looking for a game or a team? Probably. Like many of us on here it’s a family thing, and I guess that’s what the club are counting on. That won’t last forever though.
To stay in this league it’s going to cost us. I understand that. However part of me is thinking that a return to the seaside leagues with lower prices and lower wages might just help safeguard the club’s fanbase for the future. We’re at risk of losing people here, and that’s one we really can’t take.

With season tickets now working out at roughly 14.50 per game (for the normal early bird offer) that value for money is rapidly decreasing year after year.

We're informed on a yearly basis that the playing budget will be cut whilst prices increase. The "we need to hike prices to compete" chat is getting a bit boring now I'm afraid.

How can they expect folk to pay more whilst being informed of budget cuts? It's starting to feel like we are having to cover the costs of poor financial management.

If you're put off 'walking up' by £20, you're probably put off by £18 too, to be honest.  

I'm not trying to justify the increase, as either £18 or £20 is too much, I just don't think there will be a throng of punters sitting around the town on Saturdays saying "I would have gone if it was still £18, but £20?  f**k that".

10 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Our new walk up price is 20 quid, with all ticket matches being priced at 22 quid.

Is it just me or is that fuckin howling? I understand football as a whole is overpriced in this country but f**k me, 20 quid!? I know it's only up 2 quid from last year but with these new prices that must be one of the most expensive in the league.

If I was a fairweather fan I'd laugh at the prospect of paying that to watch us.

Early bird season tickets are 260 this year, what were they last year?

Price rises never go down well and I understand the feelings here, but the reality is we need money and there are only a certain number of ways a football club can raise money. Sadly we don't have any young stars that we can punt to the English leagues for £200K so it falls down to sponsorship, commercial avenues like hospitality, fundraisers and ticket sales. We need money not only for our squad, which already pushes us to the edge, but we all know about the stadium repairs which are required too. We can say that fans shouldn't be asked to fork out but if fans aren't paying for it then who is? Our owners? 

It's likely that I won't be able to afford the lump sum cost for a season ticket this summer, so I'll pay at the gate when I can make it to games and I have money. If nobody buys a season ticket at those prices there's every possibility the prices will change, I expect most season ticket holders will pay for it though.

On the subject of fundraisers, we really need to fill the last few shirts of the Play for the Sons event or it doesn't go ahead, which would be a disaster to be honest. If anyone knows anyone who might be interested please let them know.

On 2017-5-16 at 20:13, albundy said:

Frank Meade's photo on the club site has a father jack sort of look about it.

f35692f869be66b1645bdeb4a52a11e9.jpg

Taking official photos for your website at Cappielow? ^_^

I assume based on the reaction to these boardroom changes not being overwhelmingly negative that none of them have any connection to Brabco?

Taking official photos for your website at Cappielow? [emoji5]
I assume based on the reaction to these boardroom changes not being overwhelmingly negative that none of them have any connection to Brabco?

Well spotted Mr D. I assume he was on rovers duty and it wasn't under copyright.

On the brabco front, I've no idea how involved they were on the two appointments but they both appear to be well endorsed by folks itk.

If he was on Rovers duty he wouldn't have been wearing a DFC tie - this pic was taken recently at Cappielow.

On the issue of Brabco and the Boardroom changes, I doubt if they had much input.  They have Wilson as a Director, but I very much view them as metaphorical absentee landlords who have had no real interest in maintaining their poky wee tenement flat, and don't really give a f*** about who lives there or what goes on it, other than wanting to turn a buck when they finally seek to exit it.

The problem with that is that they never realised that the wee flat came with a shitload of resale problems which may eventually see it condemned for current use, added to which they don't have a deposit never mind a mortgage for any new place.

I predict trouble with a capital £. 

1 hour ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

As I said yesterday, make the most of every season ;)

The extra on the walk up price and the more expensive early bird could be an attempt to recover some of what was lost on the super early bird. £200 or £11.11 per game is a tremendous deal for those who got it but it means that there are one hundred season tickets less to sell at the higher price. That's six thousand pounds down straight away and of course presumably the twenty thousand taken in has already been spent

The extra on the walk up price and the more expensive early bird could be an attempt to recover some of what was lost on the super early bird. £200 or £11.11 per game is a tremendous deal for those who got it but it means that there are one hundred season tickets less to sell at the higher price. That's six thousand pounds down straight away and of course presumably the twenty thousand taken in has already been spent

If that's the case then it's utterly tragic planning.

Give 100 folk a great deal for a quick fix, then we'll make it up by fleecing every other c**t.

I have said for a long time that admission prices are too high. For a start nobody 12 or under should pay to get in at all as we need to attract children as our future support. Older children students and oaps should all pay less than half price. In the past there were unemployed gates with reduced prices and with poverty in this area at such a high level it could be an idea to reinstate it.Ross County this week let the punters into their game against Hamilton for free and tripled the expected attendance. 

Frank Meade is coming from Albion Rovers who in the past experimented with free gates and it is something Dumbarton must think about for future meaningless games. No matter what unless prices are reduced attendances will keep on falling. Remember this is Dumbarton one of the most deprived areas in Scotland.If you want bums on seats then charge prices that people can afford 

£20 is a ridiculous amount to pay for any game of football at this level! It's the same around the country though so I suppose we are just joining in. It's a different kettle of fish but an EPL game can be £60+ and that certainly isn't value for money.
I gave up my season ticket years ago as I work most weekends and don't get to many games. It gets harder each year to justify telling the wife I'm away to spend £20 to watch the football! It disappoints me massively!

5 hours ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Just looked back and the early bird price has rocketed from £225 and £235 to £260.

The full season ticket without the early bird discount was £250 for 16/17. That is now £270 for 17/18.

Thats absolutely awful and for me personally it's becoming harder to justify such expense.

Will the Sons Youth system still be in place next season? Head of Youth Tony

McNally has been running the Under-17s with Willie Torrance for a couple

of months at least. They don't have an Under-20 team in the fold

2 minutes ago, coach said:

Will the Sons Youth system still be in place next season? Head of Youth Tony

McNally has been running the Under-17s with Willie Torrance for a couple

of months at least. They don't have an Under-20 team in the fold

From what I've heard on the wonderful "Project Brave" could make it difficult for us to run youth teams but it doesn't look like anything has been decided yet.