Sons' sorrow

21 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

Aye? I haven't seen anything but I'm not at all surprised.

People constantly focused on his fitness as an issue, Duffy included, but I could never see a problem - he looks extremely fat but he's just got a weird build, he never had any problems lasting 90 minutes and wasn't particularly slow.

I regularly felt we should be giving him more of a chance, particularly in the second half of this season when we were persisting with Shankland and Oyenuga long after they'd both proven themselves to be useless, but ultimately whenever he did get a game he never managed to be anything better than mediocre regardless of how rare the chances were.

He has a ridiculous first touch, spots gaps for a pass that other players wouldn't even think of and had some good contributions in League 1 - mostly when he came off the bench at 2-0 down at home to Stenhousemuir and set up two as we came back to win with three goals in the last 12 minutes - but in the Championship he looked like one of those players who obviously has a lot of technical ability but no sign that he knows how to use it be an effective player. With a regular run of games he might get there, but we weren't ever in a position to give him that. I wish him well, but it was definitely the right time for him to leave us.

It's been well documented he has a problem with his fitness. Duffy and even Scullion himself have commented on this last season.

Duffy gave him another chance to get fit and he didn't take it. Some of those pre-season photos were embarrassing as he came back in a worse shape than when he left - and that was with a 6 week fitness programme. 

He has all the ability in the world as you rightly say, but fitness is undoubtedly an issue.   

8 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

See for all those reasons I would have thought Raith more attractive now than before. Last season was probably about as well as they could realistically do. Following McKinnon was always a hiding to nothing job and he apparently applied for it. Now as the biggest side in League One with two car crash appointments to follow it looks as good a full time opportunity as he could expect. I accept the point that its probably a wage cut overall but it always was and clearly he was looking to do so a year ago. Unless the suggestion of serious financial problems has any truth in it they are a better bet for an ambitious young manager than they were before. 

I would disagree in Aitkens case. If he goes there now and doesn't win the league he could potentially be out of work altogether next summer, staying with us doesn't come with any such risk even if we do relieve him of his footballing duties (which given our position would take monumental failure on his part). Aitken is a confidence manager, I reckon with him going in there last summer to a club that was buzzing he'd have done a good job, going in there now and having to lift everyone at the club yourself carries a bit more risk. I concede that if he had taken the Raith job last summer he could still be in the position I'm advocating in my second sentence, however I think there was a lot less risk taking on Raith last summer than there is this summer. I don't know anything about Raith's finances, but considering Drysdale has had a go at fans for not backing certain club initiatives then I doubt it's all rosy, paying off more than a year of Locke and his staff can't be cheap either.

Aitken did apply and was interviewed, they felt Gary Locke was a better option. I don't imagine Stevie views that favourably either.

I don't really think Raith are the issue here! Yes Raith are managerless and Stevie applied last year but since then it's gone downhill for them. If rumours are true of them going part time then I don't see why he would want to commute to fife to manage a lower league side.
I think that its more likely, and would explain stevie delaying on a new deal, that he may be holding off to see what happens after the playoffs and the inevitable manager merry go round. ICT could be looking for a new manager, as could Hamilton, Dundee and Motherwell depending on how the season ends. Either of those plus Morton, QOS, Dunfermline I'm sure he would fancy applying for should they become available. If he feels that a FT opportunity may arise shortly then he could well be holding out for the chance.

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

I don't really think Raith are the issue here! Yes Raith are managerless and Stevie applied last year but since then it's gone downhill for them. If rumours are true of them going part time then I don't see why he would want to commute to fife to manage a lower league side.
I think that its more likely, and would explain stevie delaying on a new deal, that he may be holding off to see what happens after the playoffs and the inevitable manager merry go round. ICT could be looking for a new manager, as could Hamilton, Dundee and Motherwell depending on how the season ends. Either of those plus Morton, QOS, Dunfermline I'm sure he would fancy applying for should they become available. If he feels that a FT opportunity may arise shortly then he could well be holding out for the chance.

I think you're spot on actually. Whilst I think the likes of ICT/Dundee/Hamilton are above Stevies level just now, all it would take is one of them to take Duffy or AJ and suddenly Stevie might be in the frame for either of those jobs. Still think he'll sign on again with us but he's definitely waiting to see what opportunities arise.

I think you're spot on actually. Whilst I think the likes of ICT/Dundee/Hamilton are above Stevies level just now, all it would take is one of them to take Duffy or AJ and suddenly Stevie might be in the frame for either of those jobs. Still think he'll sign on again with us but he's definitely waiting to see what opportunities arise.

Yeah I agree. I don't think he'd be viewed as a desirable candidate for the likes of ICT and Dundee, given that he's still relatively inexperienced and his, what some higher up might view as, limited success with us.

As you say though, Dunfermline, QOS or the likes could be a danger lurking in the wings.

I suppose we'll just need to wait and see, and cross any limbs we have that are crossable in the meantime...

10 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Has Scullion not had major problems "getting in shape" even with full-time training? Can't see that improving by going part time.

He's not fat, he's just got a strange stocky build. Cracking set piece and good passer  of the ball. He's a similar build to Agnew when he joined us at first. 

17 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

Yeah I agree. I don't think he'd be viewed as a desirable candidate for the likes of ICT and Dundee, given that he's still relatively inexperienced and his, what some higher up might view as, limited success with us.

As you say though, Dunfermline, QOS or the likes could be a danger lurking in the wings.

I suppose we'll just need to wait and see, and cross any limbs we have that are crossable in the meantime...

He's got more managerial experience than Hartley, Foran, Canning or McCann had before they were appointed.

1 hour ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

To be fair, Canning and Foran were internal appointments and Hartley had a league title and a promotion under his belt.

Dundee were also a 2nd tier club when Hartley was appointed and McCann's particular relationship with Dundee is pretty unique. It seems very unlikely that any Premiership club would recruit any part time manager directly. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Dundee were also a 2nd tier club when Hartley was appointed and McCann's particular relationship with Dundee is pretty unique. It seems very unlikely that any Premiership club would recruit any part time manager directly. 

Yes. Guys like Hartley, Foran and McCann, even Canning at Hamilton, had all forged relationships at these clubs before they were appointed.

As far as top level football in this country goes, Aitken doesn't have a connection, so I doubt he'd be on the radar of any of the prospective jobs that might be available in the SPL.

Murray couldn't even get a sniff of a Premiership gig and he had us finishing 5th and in the quarter finals of the Scottish Cup.

That's very true. If Aitken gets a full-time gig then it's a stepping stone. I doubt he'd get an SPL one from where he is just now, but the possibility of a gig like QOS, Dunfermline or the likes is a more likely danger as far as I'm concerned.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3012

Boardroom update

DUMBARTON Football Club has announced key boardroom moves linked to changes to the responsibilities of the club's executive team.

Following securing Championship status allowing a sixth consecutive stay in Scotland's second tier of professional football we look forward to the demands of the 2017/18 season ahead. 

Firstly, current director Les Hope, will become Chairman with immediate effect. 

Les takes over from Alan Jardine who retired from the same role last week following 15 years service as director.

Les is hugely respected for the vital role he performed in helping the Club in the last five years.

Les said : "It's an honour and privilege to take on the role of Chairman of this proud club, especially hard on the heels of Alan. I'm looking forward to the challenge."

Secondly, we are also pleased to announce the appointment of Frank Meade as Chief Executive.

As well as taking on his new role, Frank is appointed to the board.

Frank has deep knowledge and experience of the football world and is a respected member of the Scottish professional football community.

Club Doctor Neil MacKay becomes an associate director as does local lawyer John Steele. 

Both John and Neil have provided services to the club for many years and will be welcome additions with advice and support.

Edited by Boghead ranter

1 minute ago, Boghead ranter said:

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3012

Boardroom update

DUMBARTON Football Club has announced key boardroom moves linked to changes to the responsibilities of the club's executive team.

Has anyone on here had any personal interactions with the persons appointed? Positive moves all round?