Sons' sorrow

I've given my thoughts on the Gallagher's above, but on Sparky, it's a strange one.

We'll never really know how much the incident at Dunfermline has to do with him being released, but I wonder where he'd play if he had signed on again.

I'm a big fan of Sparky, he has a great "football brain" but sadly he doesn't have the legs to play  at Championship level any more.

He was interviewed and lost out to Locke last Summer. I'm sure he will be on their radar again but would he be interested?

He'd definitely be interested.

A full-time club with huge potential and a potentially big fanbase? Definitely.

How interested he'd be if it came about tomorrow, I'm not sure, given their relegation, rumours of financial instability and the prospect of them going part time, but I reckon he'd still be interested, nonetheless.

I've given my thoughts on the Gallagher's above, but on Sparky, it's a strange one.

We'll never really know how much the incident at Dunfermline has to do with him being released, but I wonder where he'd play if he had signed on again.
I'm a big fan of Sparky, he has a great "football brain" but sadly he doesn't have the legs to play  at Championship level any more.

Interesting that you feel he doesn't have the legs for the Championship any more.

I think he has a terrific engine and any issues surrounding his abilities as a championship player lie elsewhere rather than his 'legs for it', but it's all about opinions.

I just don't feel he'd be as good as Harvie or Carswell in the positions he plays so that makes in understandable why he's been let go.

Looks like the 2 favorites for the Rovers Job is Danny Lennon and Darren Young.  Would hope that we still have Aitken on our radar.  Done a great job for you guys and should have been given the job last summer.

On the whole how did Vaughan get on at you guys?

Looks like the 2 favorites for the Rovers Job is Danny Lennon and Darren Young.  Would hope that we still have Aitken on our radar.  Done a great job for you guys and should have been given the job last summer.

I would say Vaughan did pretty well...maybe 7/10

Always tried really hard...perhaps sometimes too hard...had a habit of trying to beat one extra man and losing it sometimes

Scored some good and important goals though, and I'd be happy to have him back on loan next season

12 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

I could be wrong here, but I reckon Raith have missed their chance to get Aitken. Taking the Raith job in League 1 looks unattractive for him IMO for a few reasons. The first being that he'll be expected to piss the league and get Raith back up at the first time of asking. The second being in order to take the job he needs to quit his job at Rolls Royce, which I am certain combined with his job at Dumbarton makes him a hell of a lot more than he will solely at Raith Rovers. The third being that Raith seem in a right mess off the park, having just paid off Locke and his staff and got Yogi in, they can't have much cash flying around. Before Raith appointed Locke none of the above was really a concern, other than him having to drop his Rolls Royce job. I also reckon the fact he was interviewed and not chosen will go against the Raith board.

If Aitken stays with us he has excellent job security and with Alloa or Brechin joining us we will, once again, have a good chance at achieving our objective. It's a no brainer if I'm Stevie Aitken but given he hasn't signed his deal with us yet he may well have a different view.

41 minutes ago, optimistic said:

Jon scullion would be an excellent signing for us, and I see dale hilson released by queens, I'd take him also

Would love Hilson and i think we could lure him.Scullion i would avoid as he was seriously heavy when i saw him at Cappielow in January.As said above cant see part time helping him any.Reminded me of Tom Brown when he joined us at the end of 2002/3 season.

That's what the most frustrating thing is all Raith fans knew that Locke would be trouble from the start.  I think realistically it will be Darren Young.  If it is the I hope he reaches his potential but out of him and Aitken I would lean towards Stevie.  Either way I think its only a matter of time before Aitken gets a chance at a full time club.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I could be wrong here, but I reckon Raith have missed their chance to get Aitken. Taking the Raith job in League 1 looks unattractive for him IMO for a few reasons. The first being that he'll be expected to piss the league and get Raith back up at the first time of asking. The second being in order to take the job he needs to quit his job at Rolls Royce, which I am certain combined with his job at Dumbarton makes him a hell of a lot more than he will solely at Raith Rovers. The third being that Raith seem in a right mess off the park, having just paid off Locke and his staff and got Yogi in, they can't have much cash flying around. Before Raith appointed Locke none of the above was really a concern, other than him having to drop his Rolls Royce job. I also reckon the fact he was interviewed and not chosen will go against the Raith board.

If Aitken stays with us he has excellent job security and with Alloa or Brechin joining us we will, once again, have a good chance at achieving our objective. It's a no brainer if I'm Stevie Aitken but given he hasn't signed his deal with us yet he may well have a different view.

Pretty decent summation Moonster.  I'm not altogether sure how Saturday's events will pan out but maybe we should be wary as SA's contract extends only to May 27th so the timing would suit any predator clubs.  IMO he'd be unwise to give up his day job for the Raith gig, but if he is genuinely ambitious to progress in football then he will at some point have to seriously consider his options.

Another season of keeping us up would do his credentials no harm, but perhaps how the DFC Board is re-shaped and more importantly how they plan to support team affairs may become a telling factor in signing a new contract.

8 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Would love Hilson and i think we could lure him.Scullion i would avoid as he was seriously heavy when i saw him at Cappielow in January.As said above cant see part time helping him any.Reminded me of Tom Brown when he joined us at the end of 2002/3 season.

I hear you, and I remember that game, he came on as a sub early in the game, and was absolutely excellent, despite looking heavy, 

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Pretty decent summation Moonster.  I'm not altogether sure how Saturday's events will pan out but maybe we should be wary as SA's contract extends only to May 27th so the timing would suit any predator clubs.  IMO he'd be unwise to give up his day job for the Raith gig, but if he is genuinely ambitious to progress in football then he will at some point have to seriously consider his options.

Another season of keeping us up would do his credentials no harm, but perhaps how the DFC Board is re-shaped and more importantly how they plan to support team affairs may become a telling factor in signing a new contract.

Agree with the above.I think Raith is a dodgy option as it won't be easy to win that league next year and i think he would only get 1 bite of the cherry.On the other hand staying with us he has a good chance of repeating what he did this season given another part time club plus Livi being in the league.For sure he will go at some point but i think it will have to be the right club at the right time.Not sure thats the case with Raith right now.

3 minutes ago, optimistic said:

I hear you, and I remember that game, he came on as a sub early in the game, and was absolutely excellent, despite looking heavy, 

TBH i didnt think he was great or did anything great but maybe i just wasnt paying close attention.To busy hurling abuse at Nesbitt!!!

1 hour ago, the snudge said:

Jon Scullion has literally just been released by Morton like 5 minutes ago. I'd take him at sons nae bother

Aye? I haven't seen anything but I'm not at all surprised.

People constantly focused on his fitness as an issue, Duffy included, but I could never see a problem - he looks extremely fat but he's just got a weird build, he never had any problems lasting 90 minutes and wasn't particularly slow.

I regularly felt we should be giving him more of a chance, particularly in the second half of this season when we were persisting with Shankland and Oyenuga long after they'd both proven themselves to be useless, but ultimately whenever he did get a game he never managed to be anything better than mediocre regardless of how rare the chances were.

He has a ridiculous first touch, spots gaps for a pass that other players wouldn't even think of and had some good contributions in League 1 - mostly when he came off the bench at 2-0 down at home to Stenhousemuir and set up two as we came back to win with three goals in the last 12 minutes - but in the Championship he looked like one of those players who obviously has a lot of technical ability but no sign that he knows how to use it be an effective player. With a regular run of games he might get there, but we weren't ever in a position to give him that. I wish him well, but it was definitely the right time for him to leave us.

50 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

See for all those reasons I would have thought Raith more attractive now than before. Last season was probably about as well as they could realistically do. Following McKinnon was always a hiding to nothing job and he apparently applied for it. Now as the biggest side in League One with two car crash appointments to follow it looks as good a full time opportunity as he could expect. I accept the point that its probably a wage cut overall but it always was and clearly he was looking to do so a year ago. Unless the suggestion of serious financial problems has any truth in it they are a better bet for an ambitious young manager than they were before. 

Agree with Dunning about Scullion -although he should have gone earlier (when Duffy clearly had no intention of giving him game time) But I wish him well and would be very interested to see how he goes if given a genuine chance.

Edited by cornbeef