Sons' sorrow

Right keyboard Managers, who are we keeping and who is away?

For me it's:-

Keep

Martin, Ewing, Barr, Buchanan, Lang, Docherty, Carswell, Fleming, Nade.

Gone/binned

Harvie, McCrorie, Stanton, Stirling, Vaughan, McCallum, Nuttal, Thomson.

Undecided

G Gallagher (If he's still out injured then sadly we have to bin)

D Smith ( Has done well at RB but think we could get better)

Clark, Prior, Kassarate, C Gallagher (haven't seen enough to make judgment)

Keep
Gone/binned
Undecided

I'd like us to try get Harvie back on loan if possible, probably won't happen mind you. Same with Stanton and mccrorie but suppose we need to be realistic. Their parent clubs probably want them (if on loan again) to go to a full time club to keep progressing them. I'm not convinced about Fleming, he's not seemed at the races. Great guy and a loyal servant but his time may be up. Can Nade last another year, I would certainly hope so but depends on what other options are out there.
I'd be keen to get players signed up asap to try avoid our traditional slow start to the season. A wee cup run next season would be nice

1 minute ago, pleslie99 said:

I'd like us to try get Harvie back on loan if possible, probably won't happen mind you. Same with Stanton and mccrorie but suppose we need to be realistic. Their parent clubs probably want them (if on loan again) to go to a full time club to keep progressing them. I'm not convinced about Fleming, he's not seemed at the races. Great guy and a loyal servant but his time may be up. Can Nade last another year, I would certainly hope so but depends on what other options are out there.
I'd be keen to get players signed up asap to try avoid our traditional slow start to the season. A wee cup run next season would be nice

Agree with what you have said.

Think we have a decent chance with Havie and McCrorie. Stanton just seems to good for us.

Flemming always tries hard and I think could be a good backup option. 

3 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Keep

Gone/binned

Undecided

Think I would say we should be looking to;

Keep: Martin, Ewing's (assuming he is happy with things how they are), Barr, Buchanan, Docherty, Carswell.

Smith - I think has done enough to merit a new offer. I don't doubt there are better RBs out there but I don't know if we could bring one in. Even if we did, he is a handy player to have in the squad.

Nade - would need to get fitter but I would also be inclined to offer him terms. With a full preseason and hopefully staying clear of injury he would be worth keeping.

Fleming - is in the same boat. Body language and attitude have been all wrong this season (especially since Xmas when the rest of the team started picking up). If he is willing to put in the effort to sort his fitness out and get into a better frame of mind then there's certainly a player in there with something to contribute.

Weird one, but I'd be more than happy for all of our loanees to return (Nuttal being the only exception because I didn't see enough).

Undecided on the 2 Gall's. Not seen enough of Calum to make my kind up and Grant would have to get fit pretty soon to be worth retaining.

Everyone else is either gone or are youngsters who, once again, we know very little about. I'd imagine Donald will move on since his loan didn't work out too well. The rest I really have no idea.

Can see Ewings retiring, injuries seem to be getting the better of him. I'd let Donald McCallum go and see if he can get regular games somewhere else, he won't cut it at this level next season. I'd be happy to keep the rest, but I doubt we'll have that choice.

I'd keep Martin, Barr, Lang, Buchanan, Smith, Carswell, Nade and Fleming.

I'd love to see any of our loanees return (not seen enough of Nutall though so don't really know what he's like) but I doubt it'll be us that is in the position of deciding.

Of the rest I'd either like us to be looking for better, or wouldn't be fussed at all if they left.

22 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Keep: Martin, Buchanan, Lang, Smith, Carswell,

Go: McCallum, Kassarate, Clark

Undecided: Barr, C Gal, Docherty

Prove fitness: Nade, G Gal, Fleming, Ewings

Keep but loan: Prior, Lyden (both apparently decent)

That far too upbeat/positive surely?

I don't get all the hype about Lang. He was brought in as cover for suspensions and injuries and covered well but I don't feel he's good enough to be a championship starter.

Still a lot to learn.

I don't get all the hype about Lang. He was brought in as cover for suspensions and injuries and covered well but I don't feel he's good enough to be a championship starter.

Still a lot to learn.

I don't disagree with any of what you've said. I just feel that in the small amount of game time he's had he's looked accomplished beyond his level of experience and years and is a good tackler and makes good judgements on when and how to tackle.

He definitely does have a lot to learn, as anyone at that age and limited game experience does, but as far as I'm concerned, given he'd likely be on a modest/low wage he'd be a decent backup to have should one of Buchanan and Barr be injured or suspended.

26 minutes ago, son hawk said:

Still a lot to learn.

As DumbartonTheSons says above he's shown up well in his small number of appearances to date, is still very young for a centre-back, and I doubt he'll be on a handsome wage.

It's easy to forget just how inexperienced he is. His DFC debut against Hibs (as a late sub) was his outright senior debut, and he hadn't been near either the Birmingham City or Rangers first-teams. Understandable given the quality of their squads, but most players similar have spent time on loan.

I thought he was outstanding against Raith on his full senior debut, and complimented Barr perfectly. It's the most captainy I've seen Barr look, and he seemed to relish working with alongside a young guy. Likewise when he came on against Ayr United. We were all over the shop that day, and he was one of the few plus points - even my Ayr supporting mate commented positively on his performance.

Before all that there was of course the St Mirren game, where he replaced Barr. Similarly to Harvie's debut he didn't look anywhere near ready for the first-team, with silly fouls and some high risk play, but even during those 70 minutes or so you could see him gradually settle.

Given his limited game time it's a difficult thing to say, but I thought he looked more impressive than McCrorie - who is thought of as Rangers next big thing. I'd be disappointed to see him let go, as I reckon he has the potential to be a very decent player.

Is it tonight the players find out? I have it in my mind from last year that it was the first Tuesday after the end of the season that we found out.

As DumbartonTheSons says above he's shown up well in his small number of appearances to date, is still very young for a centre-back, and I doubt he'll be on a handsome wage.
It's easy to forget just how inexperienced he is. His DFC debut against Hibs (as a late sub) was his outright senior debut, and he hadn't been near either the Birmingham City or Rangers first-teams. Understandable given the quality of their squads, but most players similar have spent time on loan.
I thought he was outstanding against Raith on his full senior debut, and complimented Barr perfectly. It's the most captainy I've seen Barr look, and he seemed to relish working with alongside a young guy. Likewise when he came on against Ayr United. We were all over the shop that day, and he was one of the few plus points - even my Ayr supporting mate commented positively on his performance.
Before all that there was of course the St Mirren game, where he replaced Barr. Similarly to Harvie's debut he didn't look anywhere near ready for the first-team, with silly fouls and some high risk play, but even during those 70 minutes or so you could see him gradually settle.
Given his limited game time it's a difficult thing to say, but I thought he looked more impressive than McCrorie - who is thought of as Rangers next big thing. I'd be disappointed to see him let go, as I reckon he has the potential to be a very decent player.
Is it tonight the players find out? I have it in my mind from last year that it was the first Tuesday after the end of the season that we found out.

It would be good to hear of even a wee bit of squad movement tonight, sets the ball rolling I suppose.

That said, I'd be surprised if many of the integral members of the team signed up before the gaffer's future is even sorted...

Although it'd be great if today was a Tremendous Tuesday.

52 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Looks like the tactical genius is at Cappielow per his Twitter, so maybe not tonight.

It's a shame that AJ has had to step down for personal reasons. Fans haven't always had the best experience dealing with him but there's no doubting that he was passionate and committed to the club and that he did a very important job for us year after year.

Wish him nothing but the best with whatever happens next for him.

It's now vital that the club appoint the correct man in the top seat.

Lennox herald reports that stevie is to sit down with the board wednesday before talking to players on thursday.

Lang has to be playing to improve any, he may well opt to leave if Barr and Bucky stay.

4 hours ago, BallochSonsFan said:

It's a shame that AJ has had to step down for personal reasons. Fans haven't always had the best experience dealing with him but there's no doubting that he was passionate and committed to the club and that he did a very important job for us year after year.

Wish him nothing but the best with whatever happens next for him.

It's now vital that the club appoint the correct man in the top seat.

This.