Sons' sorrow

Nice wee interview with Alan Martin up on the OS - http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=3000
He's had full time offers but is keen to see what we offer him.  Get it sorted!!

Sounding very positive.

Chuck a three year deal and all the budget at him. Even with a bunch of diddies and jobbers outfield we'd still pick up a few points with him between the sticks.

On 05/05/2017 at 15:43, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Play For The Sons bidding is LIVE!

Get yer bids in.

Do you know if its only that day, the 8th or is there a couple of get togethers before hand? I'm interested but away on holiday until the 7th.

From the sounds of it Barr must be quite keen to stay too if he's focusing on a career outside of football.  I'd be pretty happy with that! Hopefully he is able to avoid injuries though - maybe would be good to keep Lang for back-up.

Barr is a huge weakness in our team IMO. Teams stick a target man on him and dominate him and he's not very fast so players like Austin have no problem getting in behind. As well as this he's not very vocal for someone who is supposed to be captain.

17 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Barr is a huge weakness in our team IMO. Teams stick a target man on him and dominate him and he's not very fast so players like Austin have no problem getting in behind. As well as this he's not very vocal for someone who is supposed to be captain.

Jeez. He was easily one of our most consistent performers and without him I think we would probably have finished lower down the table. The defense overall has been much better this season as it has been pretty settled and that suited us.

59 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Sounding very positive.

Chuck a three year deal and all the budget at him. Even with a bunch of diddies and jobbers outfield we'd still pick up a few points with him between the sticks.

My favourite bit is this part...

"And as I said at the awards night, I don't think I've ever felt more at home with any club than I have at Dumbarton, with the environment created by fans and players.

It's no secret that I wanted to sort out my future back in December. I'm more than happy here and I'm delighted that Dumbarton gave me the chance."

If anyone's got 5 minutes or so to kill, I've fired a quick DFC goalscorers from this season quiz on to Sporcle. Anyone from on here not getting full marks will be hunted down and stripped of their season ticket for next year.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/FC52/dumbarton-goalscorers-201617

If anyone's got 5 minutes or so to kill, I've fired a quick DFC goalscorers from this season quiz on to Sporcle. Anyone from on here not getting full marks will be hunted down and stripped of their season ticket for next year.
https://www.sporcle.com/games/FC52/dumbarton-goalscorers-201617

14/15.

You know fine well how I only got that you absolute swine.

When was it that we held the previous one?

Does anyone on here have any memories of the day?

I can't remember exactly as unfortunately I was on holiday. I thnk it was around 5 years ago or something?

Gutted to say I can't play this time round either (doctor's orders) but I'm hoping to be involved in some other capacity. I'm still young so plenty of time for me to finally get a run out at the next one when it comes.

13 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I can't remember exactly as unfortunately I was on holiday. I thnk it was around 5 years ago or something?

Gutted to say I can't play this time round either (doctor's orders) but I'm hoping to be involved in some other capacity. I'm still young so plenty of time for me to finally get a run out at the next one when it comes.

Sadly old age and only one good knee have left me about as mobile as a latter day Frazer Wright, however my son has put a bid in so we will hopefully be travelling down from Aberdeenshire for this.

2 hours ago, Northern Son said:

When was it that we held the previous one?

Does anyone on here have any memories of the day?

Think it was 5 years ago. It was a fantastic day, we had Lawrie Williams and Craig Brittain as managers and they were both great in their own ways. The game was played in a great spirit and there was a good night after it as well, something we hope to replicate this time.

I was on Lawrie's team, he came into the dressing room pre-match pissing himself laughing, "Britso's got the fucking whiteboard out, think he's Sir Alex in there". Then told us to go out and enjoy ourselves and if anyone was close to a heart attack they were to let him know. I loved every minute of it. If we could I'd do this every year but its maybe not feasible.

1 hour ago, Northern Son said:

Sadly old age and only one good knee have left me about as mobile as a latter day Frazer Wright, however my son has put a bid in so we will hopefully be travelling down from Aberdeenshire for this.

I was up in the Highlands all weekend and had very little signal so I haven't had a chance to check the emails. I hope to get back to everyone who has placed a bid by tonight and apologies for the delay.

As I hinted on here a few weeks ago, I've written a thing rating every single Stevie Aitken signing at DFC. 

Hop on, have a read, but don't dare disagree with me ;)

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/rating-every-stevie-aitken-signing-at-dumbarton

I've proofed it a couple of times, but it's over 5500 words long so there will be a few wee grammatical mistakes floating about in there I'm sure. Feel free to point them out, I won't be offended!

2 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

As I hinted on here a few weeks ago, I've written a thing rating every single Stevie Aitken signing at DFC. 

http://talesfromtherock.weebly.com/home/rating-every-stevie-aitken-signing-at-dumbarton

I've proofed it a couple of times, but it's over 5500 words long so there will be a few wee grammatical mistakes floating about in there I'm sure. Feel free to point them out, I won't be offended!

Did CTRL+F for #stevieaitkentacticalgenius, zero results.

For that reason alone, I probably won't be reading 55 words of it, far less 5500.

;)

18 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Haven't read through every player appraisal yet but I agree with all of your hits and misses aside from 2. Grant Gallagher (but you knew that anyway) and Tom Lang. I'm not sure Tom is good enough to play every week at this level but I agree he has potential. He'd be an undecided for me, as would Seagal actually.

Edit - I think it shows how Stevies recruitment at this level has improved, he made a lot of mistakes last season and we're maybe still feeling the effects of that now if rumours of our financial position are to be believed (other factors obviously at play there too). But he got the majority of his signings right this year and if he stays (which I hope he does, quickly) then I'm sure he'll do a good job again. 

Edited by The Moonster

Haven't read through every player appraisal yet but I agree with all of your hits and misses aside from 2. Grant Gallagher (but you knew that anyway) and Tom Lang. I'm not sure Tom is good enough to play every week at this level but I agree he has potential. He'd be an undecided for me, as would Seagal actually.

I've got a problem with Vaughan's rating as well. Wouldn't say that signing was that much of a hit with everyone tbh..