Sons' sorrow

Reading elsewhere that Dunfermline have released BRE. Do we think he would be worth a punt? I can't remember much about him other than he is quite a big CB. Worked well with Buchanan...

ETA: I mean Buchanan moving to us from Dunfermline not that BRE and Bucky played together.

Edited by squeezeboxson

4 hours ago, pleslie99 said:

Cracking season again, another championship season to look forward too! Wonder if Kenny ashwood will crawl out his hole tonight to congratulate Stevie and the boys!
Enjoy your night to all who are going to the awards night!

tmp_12331-images(2)1263200105.jpg.90a3627cef30c2c4857af73aa733ccb6.jpg

Must be some kind of feedback from the awards bash last night? Who sounded keen to stay and who was saying their goodbyes etc.
Gutted I missed it as I always enjoy it when I can go, but sometimes work/gigs take priority.

Aldo really want to stay and is desperate to sign a new contract based on what he said.

Aitken was more along the lines of we are in discussions and didn't give too much away.

1 minute ago, cameron2000 said:

Aldo really want to stay and is desperate to sign a new contract based on what he said.

Aitken was more along the lines of we are in discussions and didn't give too much away.

Nothing new then unfortunately.

I know a few of the players love it at Dumbarton. But they probably love it because of the team ethic and working with Stevie (and Durrant).

From the players I spoke to, Fleming and Buchanan both love it here and want to stay. I asked Gaz about the Irvine Meadow rumours and he said he might be playing there in a charity match but that's the extent of it. Tbf nobody is going to tell a fan that they hate it here and want to leave but the general impression I got was that most of the squad want to stay.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

From the players I spoke to, Fleming and Buchanan both love it here and want to stay. I asked Gaz about the Irvine Meadow rumours and he said he might be playing there in a charity match but that's the extent of it. Tbf nobody is going to tell a fan that they hate it here and want to leave but the general impression I got was that most of the squad want to stay.

Those 2 are very obviously happy here.

Garry has had a pretty awful season and if he weren't the local hero posterboy he is then he would have been getting a lot of stick from fans. He obviously has the ability but if he does stay he seriously needs to sort out his fitness and mentality. I would love him to do just that.

Gregor is another one who just seems to love it with us. Not just him, his whole family really seem to enjoy being around DFC and that is something which is really great to see from players (especially good players who we could do with holding onto).

1 hour ago, squeezeboxson said:

Must be some kind of feedback from the awards bash last night? Who sounded keen to stay and who was saying their goodbyes etc.

Gutted I missed it as I always enjoy it when I can go, but sometimes work/gigs take priority.

I really enjoyed the evening, and it was nice to see the players and their partners stay the course and share time with the supporters - we seem to have had a genuinely very decent bunch of guys on and off the pitch.  Obviously some will now be off, but it was nice of Thommo's mother to pass on her thanks and the contribution from American Alexander Graham was really heartfelt and came across as very sincere.

The continued presence of SA and ID will be crucial in building a squad, and to be honest Stevie gave a very honest and diplomatic speech as you would expect.  It's up to these guys and the club to get a resolution, and the earlier the better.

I've picked up that there are strong financial headwinds at the club and I'll repeat my earlier assertions that we need to find fresh ideas, fresh ways of bringing in revenue and fresh attitudes; if that means change and/or reorganisation in the running of DFC then so be it.  I noted two Brabco players in attendance last night, but until that consortium can provide a costed, realistic and workable prospectus to match their rhetoric and vision we are very much where we are right now.

Edited by O'Kelly Isley III

Does anyone know who the top completely part time English team is ? I reckon it is a member of the vanarama leagues. If they are known it is about time the Sons challenged them to a British championship game.The last time we did this was in 1883 when we defeated Blackburn Rovers to be world as well as British champions.

It's amazing to think that we've secured another year in Scotland's 2nd tier, spent another year as the best part time team in the country and yet the slate gets wiped clean and we start again on Monday morning with a view to doing it all over again.

A lot of people will (justifiably) credit Jack Ross for the job he did turning St Mirren's season around but as Colin also rightly pointed out last night, where was the press praise for Dumbarton? Over the course of the season Stevie Aitken's achievement in securing another season of Championship football without having to resort to the play-off stands up against any other achievement in the division. Particularly when you look at the resources we have to try to get the job done. I think Alan Martin can be justifiably miffed that he isnt the goalkeeper for the SPFL Championship team of the year. I think Robert Thompson showed this season exactly what he can bring to a side - his battle with Jason Thompson in the home demolition of Raith was, for me, the best individual Sons player performance of the season. You can look at the leadership shown by Darren Barr and the consistency shown by Gregor Buchanan. Then there's the way that both David Smith and Daniel Harvie overcame slow starts to the season to become really important players for us. Smith in particular deserves a lot of praise for adapting so well to the right back role. Sparky earned the most man of the match awards this season. Carswell did well coming in to replace Joe Thomson when Celtic moved him on. Andy Stirling had some explosive performances for us this year and Sam Stanton showed why any club in the division next season would be lucky to have him. 

Where's the praise that Dumbarton are due? The club, the manager, the players, the fans... We really shouldn't take our achievement lightly or play down how well we're doing confounding the folk who pick us for relegation at the start of every season. I thought our vice chair's comments last night were bang on the money.

And now I've had time to count up the MotM award winners, Sparky had the most wins this season with 4. Andy Stirling and Robert Thompson came close with 3 each. Alan Martin and Lewis Vaughan were tied on 2 and we had the trio of Darren Barr, Sam Stanton and Craig Pettigrew with 1 award each. I know that's only 17 - we just couldn't award a man of the match in the loss against Ayr back in October.

Massive thanks to the folk who agreed to pick man of the match winners this year. A couple of weeks and I'll be pestering everybody for volunteers to pick next season!

In case anyone cares, highlights of our 2-2 draw away to Falkirk are now on YouTube at Falkirk TV. Both of our goals were beauties.

Cheers for that. They're 2 belting goals right enough.