Sons' sorrow

so are we better being a big fish in a small pond, straight question?

No, of course not. We have to have ambition or we would not have the current crowds we have in the Championship.

I think the problem is the one we all moan about every season. Playing each other four times, knowing that the OF will win the league, and that we also have very little opportunity of European football, even if we won the league Cup.

I think the Championship is now a really good league but the Premiership is a bit of a joke with little beyond survival to play for for the majority.

Unless there is a structural change in this division, lower end Premier league teams will continue to show a decline in annual attendances.

1 minute ago, roman_bairn said:

No, of course not. We have to have ambition or we would not have the current crowds we have in the Championship.

I think the problem is the one we all moan about every season. Playing each other four times, knowing that the OF will win the league, and that we also have very little opportunity of European football, even if we won the league Cup.

I think the Championship is now a really good league but the Premiership is a bit of a joke with little beyond survival to play for for the majority.

Unless there is a structural change in this division, lower end Premier league teams will continue to show a decline in annual attendances.

sounds like an aye but no but response, but hey i feel the same, unless we go up and can compete for the lofty mid table finish then forget it......

spl w**k w**k w**k etc

sorry sons for hijacking

Think they were all stv

I never got to see the highlights of the Celtic semi-final as I was too late getting back from Hampden. Younger Sons fans will be stunned to hear that I travelled to Hampden on a football special train from Dumbarton Central. However, I'm positive that the BBC covered the game as Laurie Williams' penalty save from Willie Wallace was introduced by Sam Leitch in the precursor to Football Focus on Grandstand that Saturday.

Wee interview with Stevie in the Evening Times, nothing special but worth a read if you have a spare few minutes. This time next week I'd suspect we'll be a bit clearer about the squad and management for next season

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/15263108.Stevie_Aitken_revels_in_proving_Dumbarton__39_s_doubters_wrong_yet_again/?ref=twtrec

27 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Our mighty overlord is inviting us to complete a survey - because presumably what we wrote down at the trust AGM wasn't what he was hoping for.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2993

It's of paramount importance that we all fill this in.

I love how he states on the website that you can't fill it out twice - he's obviously shitting himself that this "small negative group" that he's talking about corrupts his survey.

Doing it now, I'm not sure these questions are very well worded. On the subject of attending a match at the stadium it asks "What are your general impressions?" - impressions of what? The quality of the stadium build? The football on show? The comfortableness of the seat? The quality of the pie? The view of the game? The decor in the bar? It's far too general.

"How often do you attend matches at the stadium?". It then gives options of Never, Annually, Monthly, Fortnightly or Weekly. Well I attend every time we have a game there but that isn't every week, so weekly isn't really an option.  Poorly worded.

I really don't think they are going down the right route here, is this the extent of the research being carried out on what demand there is . It's clear they think this new stadium is the answer to all of our problems too, the section on what you think a new and improved facility will bring to the area is fucking hilarious.

I too found the question about how often you attend really badly worded. Also found this a very restrictive question. IMG_1493906826.871059.jpg

They can keep asking us questions, but until they answer ours how are we meant to answer properly, without knowing all the facts.

That first question was indeed an absolute shambles. I've no idea what I was supposed to put, so I ticked 'visitor' given I'm none of the other.

Agree with you too Moonster. The whole thing felt rushed and generic. A few of the questions (especially the early ones) made little sense in this situation, and I reckon any person with any knowledge of the stadium plans could've created something better.

As far as I can see it's a pretty generic survey probably planned by that company that is involved with leisure centres. I'm not sure Brabco realise just how different a stadium and a leisure centre are...I couldn't care less about pitch rents or basketball courts.

If he's so keen to make a difference in the local area why don't Brabco buy the land, and then just build a leisure centre along with all the other stuff? Leave us where we are.

3 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

That first question was indeed an absolute shambles. I've no idea what I was supposed to put, so I ticked 'visitor' given I'm none of the other.

Agree with you too Moonster. The whole thing felt rushed and generic. A few of the questions (especially the early ones) made little sense in this situation, and I reckon any person with any knowledge of the stadium plans could've created something better.

As far as I can see it's a pretty generic survey probably planned by that company that is involved with leisure centres. I'm not sure Brabco realise just how different a stadium and a leisure centre are...I couldn't care less about pitch rents or basketball courts.

If he's so keen to make a difference in the local area why don't Brabco buy the land, and then just build a leisure centre along with all the other stuff? Leave us where we are.

Last paragraph... Because they need to sell the land our current stadium occupies to a housebuilder in order to get a return on their initial investment in DFC.

Last paragraph... Because they need to sell the land our current stadium occupies to a housebuilder in order to get a return on their initial investment in DFC.

But surely that land is worth so little (as we were told) that they'll make more than enough from the stunning new Dalmoak development to more than cover the initial outlay for DFC. Unless getting the initial finance together for the site is the issue.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is there an option for further comments or anything like that or are you restricted to answering those utter nonsense multiple choice efforts?

Yes, there's a bit at the end for comment/views

In happier news, keep your eyes on the website tomorrow for info on the Play for the Sons event. We're still working on certain things but a wee announcement tomorrow to get things rolling. If we can put together everything we're talking about, it has the potential to be a fantastic day (and night) for all involved.

Just now, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Is there an option for further comments or anything like that or are you restricted to answering those utter nonsense multiple choice efforts?

There's a section at the end for any other comments, which I've filled pretty substantially.

There's a few comments boxes, and then a big 'any other comments' box at the end that I stuck a few hundred words in. It's deliberately left small to make it difficult to type in, so I'd recommend typing it up on Google Docs/Word and copying it across.

1 minute ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

But surely that land is worth so little (as we were told) that they'll make more than enough from the stunning new Dalmoak development to more than cover the initial outlay for DFC. Unless getting the initial finance together for the site is the issue.

I think Turnberry or a.n.other builder are interested in our current site, especially as the waterfront will also be getting redevelopment. Picturesque location etc.

It's really all about BrabCo getting a return, they've been waiting a few years now & doubtless have been noting the upturn in building, as can be seen by the new Turnberry houses going up on Castle Rd just now.

I'm merely stating the obvious, I know.