Sons' sorrow

15 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

Great result, it's been a long tough season.

would love to see us starting to make plans for next season sooner rather than later.

oh and could the dream be that Raith get relegated and need to make cut backs. So Vaughan walks in a rips up his contract saying you didn't love me so I'm off to my true home The Sons 

Nah he's going to Saints

Huge well done to the players and management to get us to where we are just now, and that includes the likes of Ian Murray and Stevie Farrell.

They've had an input in us being where we are too.

But for the turnaround since the Bonnyrigg game, huge credit needs to go to Stevie and the players. It's like watching a different side in the second half of the season and the improvement in so many players in the squad is testament to Aitken's and the players themselves, dedication and hard work.

Barring a monumental disaster, here's to another year in this division.

Coincidence, I think. You could see a change from as early as the first 30 minutes at Easter Road in December, where we actually started passing the ball to each other and playing through the midfield. Remarkably, barely 90 hours since the cup exit. Barring the first 20 minutes at Cappielow, I thought we played pretty well in the three consecutive losses to Morton, Hibs and Queens immediately prior to Durrant's arrival. I do think he has added something extra though, so credit to both Stevie and Durrant.

2 hours ago, Nowhereman said:

The big turnaround in the way we were playing does seem to coincide with Ian Durrants appointment. Relevant ? Or just coincidence?

2 hours ago, lionel wickson said:

Coincidence, I think. You could see a change from as early as the first 30 minutes at Easter Road in December, where we actually started passing the ball to each other and playing through the midfield. Remarkably, barely 90 hours since the cup exit. Barring the first 20 minutes at Cappielow, I thought we played pretty well in the three consecutive losses to Morton, Hibs and Queens immediately prior to Durrant's arrival. I do think he has added something extra though, so credit to both Stevie and Durrant.

I think it's a bit more than just a coincidence, but I'd say that the timing was just about perfect. Massive credit has to go to Stevie for succeeding where Muzz failed in picking the correct No.2, however Durrant's arrival has definitely helped our cause.

There's something I really like about him. I just like the way he conducts himself during warmups, during the game, post-match everything. He's very cool. Very professional and looks like he's exactly in the right position between having a laugh with the guys, whilst not becoming their mate. 

Aside from Bonnyrigg there were two massive moments in our season. The first was the 2-1 victory over Falkirk in December, the first home game after the disaster. If we'd lost that day Aitken's position with our fans would've been hugely unsavoury. I wanted him gone before kick-off, yet by the end of 90 minutes I suddenly fully trusted him again. And that totally shocked me.

I think it was Wilf who summed up our performance in that game as being Ian Murray and Jack Ross-esque, and it really was. Suddenly all the miserable, negative football had been replaced by something really watchable. We all doubted whether or not he would get a reaction from the players, and he did. In fact it was a reaction so resounding that I don't think I've doubted whether or not he's the right man for the job since.

The second was Durrant's first game. The 1-3 victory over Raith at Stark's. A match we totally dominated from start to finish, and thoroughly deserved to win. That did two things. Firstly it gave the fans confidence in Durrant, if we'd lost 3-1 then any tactical changes from the previous week's decent performances would've been pinned on him. Secondly I dare say it gave the players some trust in the new man, and if they believe in what he's telling them then that's half the battle - just look at John Hughes for an example of things when they go wrong in that regard.

Since then a real bond seems to have developed between Durrant and the players. Suddenly our attacking players - Stanton and Thomson especially - look totally different, and both have ran to celebrate with him after scoring at the Rock, whilst in the warm-up at Tannadice it felt as if the players were just really enjoying their football. In a competitive marketplace, where we are likely to be amongst the lowest wage payers in the league, that can make a massive difference in attracting quality to the club.

durrant1.jpg.40a69cdc0af1af75c8f7d56b3f1c83b2.jpg

Hopefully we get plenty more moments like these next season, and hopefully we get some good contract news about both Stevie and Ian very, very soon.

We need only look at the last two fixtures to get an idea of the strength of character in this team. Picking up four points at Palmerston and Tannadice after going behind in both is a fabulous return.

I thought there was no way back for Aitken after Bonnyrigg. Some shrewd business in January, coupled with the likes of Stanton, Stirling and Thomson finding form has me delighted to eat humble pie on that one.

Donald McCallum 2016/17 League 2 winner???????

Bookmark it [emoji6]

Forfar haven't shown any interest at this stage.

;)

Just remembered this.

Unfortunately he's barely kicked a ball but IF (big IF!!!!) things do go our way Saturday he'll return to Dumbarton with a medal.

Actually came on here to say congratulations for ANOTHER season in the championship and to say I hate Stephen Grindlay again but I remembered this too.

Congratulations on staying up again, phenomenal achievement. A couple of questions for you, apologies if these issues have already been discussed or if any of this comes across as patronising.

1) How long do you think you can keep Aitken on for? He's done a great job keeping you up for the past two seasons and surely that won't have gone unnoticed. I'd imagine at some point he'll want a shot at a full-time club (although I remember hearing he had a decent "proper" job in addition to football). From what I've seen from your trips to Paisley it seems he sets the team up not to get beat, probably knowing full well our defenders or goalie will gift a goal at some point. Do you think he could cope with the step up to a team that would be fighting for promotion? I suppose the utter mess Ian Murray made of his move from part-time team fighting relegation to full-time team expecting to push for promotion might help ward off a few clubs!

2) Is fighting relegation from the Championship about the best that Dumbarton fans can hope for without a massive injection of cash (preferably not form offshore sources)? Battling the drop from the SPL every year was partly what did for Gus MacPherson with us (oh how we'd take those days now). Do you see a time when fans will be bored with yet another relegation dogfight or are you satisfied with that knowing anything more would need you going full-time and/or a large chunk of cash.

Congratulations again - hopefully if we stay up we can finally beat you next season.

Congratulations on staying up again, phenomenal achievement. A couple of questions for you, apologies if these issues have already been discussed or if any of this comes across as patronising.
1) How long do you think you can keep Aitken on for? He's done a great job keeping you up for the past two seasons and surely that won't have gone unnoticed. I'd imagine at some point he'll want a shot at a full-time club (although I remember hearing he had a decent "proper" job in addition to football). From what I've seen from your trips to Paisley it seems he sets the team up not to get beat, probably knowing full well our defenders or goalie will gift a goal at some point. Do you think he could cope with the step up to a team that would be fighting for promotion? I suppose the utter mess Ian Murray made of his move from part-time team fighting relegation to full-time team expecting to push for promotion might help ward off a few clubs!
2) Is fighting relegation from the Championship about the best that Dumbarton fans can hope for without a massive injection of cash (preferably not form offshore sources)? Battling the drop from the SPL every year was partly what did for Gus MacPherson with us (oh how we'd take those days now). Do you see a time when fans will be bored with yet another relegation dogfight or are you satisfied with that knowing anything more would need you going full-time and/or a large chunk of cash.
Congratulations again - hopefully if we stay up we can finally beat you next season.

I'd imagine Aitken may want a shot higher up at some stage, how high he'd want, I don't know. I don't know how 'good' his good job outside of football is. Such is the fickle nature of football management it might be too big a risk for him to go full-time although he strikes me as pretty ambitious so I'd suspect he may well want to give it a bash at some point.

I think the battle at the bottom is a realistic level for us. Of course I'd love us to be mid-table or the dream world of even higher but the truth is we're dwarfed hugely by most other clubs in the division.

The fact that we're usually one of two part-time clubs out of ten is a big thing, and our budget is continually the lowest in the league. I don't think it's massively realistic to expect much more based on that. Aim for more, of course, but for me, for the foreseeable, the way it is just now, staying up should be our sole aim for the season.

The fact that over the last couple of years we've been in a division with, and more so competed with, the likes of Hearts, Hibernian, St. Mirren too, Dundee United and half of the ugly sister duo gives me great pride in our club. We've come a long way in a short period of time and no doubt it'll come to an end at some point, but taking points off the teams noted above is something I daresay not many of us would've thought possible a couple of years ago, so long may it continue.

Just now, Stu said:

I'm not sure to be honest. I think what we have achieved seems to go under the radar and the fact Aitken was overlooked for the Raith job last summer in favour of Gary Locke says a lot. He wants to manage full-time and has said he'll happily jack in his job with Rolls Royce to do that, so I'd be shocked if we had him for another two years - at the moment though we need to try and keep him for next season!

Our style of play changed radically post-Bonnyrigg. For the first 18 months it was very much playing not to lose. A few times last season I even wrote that we were playing for a narrow defeat. It was turgid and miserable to watch. This time last year we had only scored once away from home between December 19th and May 1st.

Since then however we've opened up a bit however. We're the league's top scorers away from home, and seem to have mastered the art of soaking up pressure, counter attacking and taking the chances that come our way

Could he step up? Well he's a very well liked, trusted and respected manager amongst players. He's got a good assistant in Durrant, and seems to have a decent network of contacts. He'll need time though, wherever he goes. It took him a long time to nail things at the Rock and, I dare say, at any other club in the country he'd have been sacked after losing to a Junior team.

On your second point, at the moment I think it is. However that can vary depending on the strength of the league. A few years ago we finished 5th, and came very close to making it into the playoffs in a league that was less strong than this. That'll happen year-on-year. The quality of the league will move, so as long as we stick around here there's no reason we can't gradually work towards a Morton-esque 4th place push. However avoiding relegation always has to be the aim at the start of the year.

Behind the scenes things are quite turbulent with the stadium move situation. Unless some sugar daddy comes in I can't see that changing anytime soon either, and so we'll need to continue with the shrewd recruitment.

Cheers for your nice words. If Saints can keep the core of their current side together - and with Jack Ross as well liked as he is by players I can see that happening - then I'll fancy you lot for a title push next season (even if you end up in ninth this year).

Totally changing the subject, but I was catching up with the half-time feature on Alba, and spotted this chap to the left of Kyle Prior. Anyone recognise him?

590796d585267_Screenshot2017-05-01at20_24_24.thumb.png.71deace0673c579a7902e292b408c514.png

36 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I'm not sure to be honest. I think what we have achieved seems to go under the radar and the fact Aitken was overlooked for the Raith job last summer in favour of Gary Locke says a lot. He wants to manage full-time and has said he'll happily jack in his job with Rolls Royce to do that, so I'd be shocked if we had him for another two years - at the moment though we need to try and keep him for next season!

Thought it was Rolls Royce he was with, dunno where I picked that up from mind.

Something I meant to mention in my original post is that what may count against Aitken moving on (and therefore work well for you) is his playing career was nothing stellar. He was effectively a lower league journeyman (dunno if he's been with enough clubs to class as a journeyman!) so he won't be talked up as much or get as much media attention and the like compared to someone like Gary Locke (:lol:) or Darren Young, who is available and has been with the likes of Aberdeen and Dunfermline.

Edited by Stu

There's a possible paradox here; Stevie Aitken may well be an ambitious young manager but perhaps the example of Ian Murray's demise at St Mirren may have lodged in the consciousness of club owners and Boards of Directors.  In other words his future candidacy might be dogged by an 'aye, but' factor - if you were, say, an Inverness Director, in four weeks time would you push for Stevie ahead of someone like Paul Hartley ?  I know, I know, but you get the drift.....

For what it's worth I sincerely hope that both SA and Ian Durrant remain in place here next season and possibly beyond; whilst everything is relative, these are great days indeed to be a Son fan.