Sons' sorrow

10 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Andy Stirling rumoured to be joining QoS next season you heard this? Is he any good?

The only certainty is that our squad next term will bear little resemblance to the current team.  Andy Stirling on his game is excellent, but he has some consistency issues; in other words a typical winger.  It wouldn't surprise me if he is headed to Palmerston.

Certainly McRorie  Stanton Harvie and Thompson will be gone by the end of the season. Stirling Nade and McCallum will not be far behind them. Carswell will be off if he can get a full time team and there is no guarantee that Barr will want to continue for another season. Ewings must be fed up playing second fiddle whilst Martins performances this season must have alerted better paying teams. No doubt we will start the season with half a dozen signed players and be tossed out the league and challenge cups by second division sides. However if we stay up this season I don't give a damn. Come on the Sons.

Certainly McRorie  Stanton Harvie and Thompson will be gone by the end of the season. Stirling Nade and McCallum will not be far behind them. Carswell will be off if he can get a full time team and there is no guarantee that Barr will want to continue for another season. Ewings must be fed up playing second fiddle whilst Martins performances this season must have alerted better paying teams. No doubt we will start the season with half a dozen signed players and be tossed out the league and challenge cups by second division sides. However if we stay up this season I don't give a damn. Come on the Sons.

Barr loves it here, my pal asked him how he ended up here (meaning how did the move come about), but he took as a "ooft nae joy you've ended up here?".. he took offence and stuck up for us and said he's really happy playing here.

2 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Of course a few will move on especially the likes of Stirling who has had a terrific season since Christmas. Martin has already said he wants to sign up and Stevie Aitken seems to be able to hold squads together well. If he stays, I reckon we will keep at least half of the team we have at the moment. Obviously if he moves on then a new manager comes in and the changes will be completely different throughout the club. 

I would hope we've got half the squad lined up, just waiting on confirming leagues and the gaffer signing his new deal. If I remember right, there was a queue of players waiting on Stevies last contract being confirmed.

As for Andy Stirling, I think he's more effective centrally when he can just pick the ball up and run with it until he can pass it on or draws a foul. For all he's been out wide there's been few assists from him.

Just now, sonsanorak said:

I would hope we've got half the squad lined up, just waiting on confirming leagues and the gaffer signing his new deal. If I remember right, there was a queue of players waiting on Stevies last contract being confirmed.

As for Andy Stirling, I think he's more effective centrally when he can just pick the ball up and run with it until he can pass it on or draws a foul. For all he's been out wide there's been few assists from him.

Patience is the Key ;)

Stirling has 8 assists all season, joint highest with Robert Thomson, which is alright but not fantastic. That doesn't really tell the tale though, because 7 of them have come since January (QOTS, two against Raith, St Mirren, Raith in the 4-0, Hibs away and Morton). If he can keep up his form from the second half of the season he'll be an excellent signing for Queens, if he replicates this season he'll just be seen as a typically inconsistent winger. The major thing he needs to add to his game is goals.

As you say it's Stevie's contract that will open the floodgates for signings. At the moment we don't know what league we'll be in, but arguably not knowing who'll be in charge of us could be a bigger stumbling block for players agreeing deals. Hopefully we'll secure both those things within the next week or so. 

Every year since we've been in this division we have lost our best players in the summer. This year will be no different and there's no point trying to cover up how big a loss they will be. Normally we end up with about 5 players from the previous campaign signed up and I think that we have got a good chance of getting at least that this summer. If we can stay in the league then we should be able to attract top talent from the lower leagues and some experience from above. Aitken staying would be important as his signings in general have been pretty good but also getting Durrant signed up will help us to attract players.

As always it will be one of the most interesting and exciting times of the season.

Every year since we've been in this division we have lost our best players in the summer. This year will be no different and there's no point trying to cover up how big a loss they will be. Normally we end up with about 5 players from the previous campaign signed up and I think that we have got a good chance of getting at least that this summer. If we can stay in the league then we should be able to attract top talent from the lower leagues and some experience from above. Aitken staying would be important as his signings in general have been pretty good but also getting Durrant signed up will help us to attract players.

As always it will be one of the most interesting and exciting times of the season.

I think it would have been fair to say Aitken's signings in his first season were a bit hit and miss, recently that ratio has got better. One thing that has improved is the caliber of signing we are now attracting.

11 minutes ago, albundy said:

I think it would have been fair to say Aitken's signings in his first season were a bit hit and miss, recently that ratio has got better. One thing that has improved is the caliber of signing we are now attracting.

Funnily enough I'm working on a wee article at the moment looking at every single player he's signed during his time here. The quality definitely improved this season though, and so I'm fairly confident we can recruit well this year too.

As folk have already said, this summer will be no different in that we'll have our better players cherry-picked by bigger, full-time clubs. That's just the way of it, we just need to prepare accordingly, which I'd be reasonably confident we'll do, if it's Aitken in charge.

Of our squad, I'd be offering new deals to Martin, Smith, Barr, Buchanan, Lang, Carswell, Nade and Fleming. Of the rest I'd either not be too bothered if we were to lose them, they're going already, or it'd be a definite they wouldn't be staying anyway.

As has been said, hopefully we can secure our place in this division for another season in the next week, closely followed by securing our manager too.

As folk have already said, this summer will be no different in that we'll have our better players cherry-picked by bigger, full-time clubs. That's just the way of it, we just need to prepare accordingly, which I'd be reasonably confident we'll do, if it's Aitken in charge.

Of our squad, I'd be offering new deals to Martin, Smith, Barr, Buchanan, Lang, Carswell, Nade and Fleming. Of the rest I'd either not be too bothered if we were to lose them, they're going already, or it'd be a definite they wouldn't be staying anyway.

As has been said, hopefully we can secure our place in this division for another season in the next week, closely followed by securing our manager too.

The Flembot is rumoured to be going back to Irvine meadow at the end of the season.

1 hour ago, albundy said:

The Flembot is rumoured to be going back to Irvine meadow at the end of the season.

It wouldn't surprise me tbh. I have nothing against Garry and think he gives his all when he comes on but his situation seems very similar to  Prunty last year.

The close season is always an exciting time for us sons fans. Always on the edge waiting for news of what players are signing on and what new faces we will see. It's generally a slow start as I reckon some of the boys will wait on bigger full time clubs to come in before committing. Hopefully we can win on Saturday and secure championship football next season which would hopefullly lead to the gaffer signing on with a few bodies.

42 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Adam Thomas from the Reporter has transfer news for us, tomorrow!

Adam Thomas‏ @adthomas89
Some #Dumbarton transfer news in tomorrow's @dumbartonreport. Will be online tomorrow morning

Christ, this is early.

Confirmation that Stirling is joining QOTS, or something more positive?