Sons' sorrow

It's complicated.

The argument for moving is 2 fold:

- The owners want to make a profit on their investment
- The club could well use revenue from activities beyond match day.

On the first point? The owners have never really claimed otherwise. We know they want to make money on their investment.

On the second? We're enjoying our highest sustained league position for 20 years and more. We start every season in the Championship as favourites for relegation and so far we've confounded our critics by surviving. We're a part time team with a small fan base. We have a finite amount of revenue from ticket sales, sponsorship, prize money etc. Every year we more or less break even but it's a struggle and we bravely battle for our safety in the Championship. More money in the account means a stronger future for the club. The owners see this as being achievable by way of new facilities such as all weather football pitches and office/commercial property that can - in theory - give us that extra revenue.

So the intention is a win/win deal where the owners make a return on investment and where we get the means of bringing more money into the club through a modern stadium with facilities to generate income outside of football matches.

There are obvious benefits if everything goes 100% to plan and all of the owners' intentions are realised. There are obvious dangers if nothing goes to plan, not least of which is being moved to the outskirts of town to a ground we can't afford to run and that doesn't deliver the promised benefits. We've been told that all of the risk in the development sits with the owners and not the club. That doesn't mean that we can expect to take possession of the keys to a new stadium and suddenly find ourselves flush with cash. If we don't get it right then we could effectively be picking up a loaded gun if we take those keys.

The key is in whether or not the owners can deliver what they intend, whether or not what they intend is sustainable and whether or not whatever we might end up with is fit for purpose, affordable and sustainable.

It might work. It might not. There's some way to go before fans are convinced. That's where proper engagement between the owners, club directors, supporters and the local community as a whole is so important.

What is clear is that whatever we ultimately do, we're committing to it for the foreseeable future. We can't move and regret it a year down the line. Likewise we can't stay put and regret not moving. It's a massive decision for the club and we need to make sure that it's the most informed decision we've ever made. Getting it wrong would be disastrous. Whatever we do will carry risk, but how we get from where we are today to where we'll be in 5 years time is the most important set of decisions facing the club.

Whether we stay or go, we need to know that it's the best informed decision possible. That means scrutiny of every aspect of the proposal. It's the owners' case to make in favour of moving to a new stadium. It's a case that has so far not been made to anything like the required standard for fans to really have confidence in.

Nail, head.

4 minutes ago, Silverton End said:

Politicians are fairly good at that. 

Fairly?

I wondered if either/ both are Trust members, so have just tweeted them to ask.

Imagine the beamer if they say no, and I can point out that Jackie Baillie is.

Edited by Boghead ranter

19 minutes ago, Boghead ranter said:

Fairly?

I wondered if either/ both are Trust members, so have just tweeted them to ask.

Imagine the beamer if they say no, and I can point out that Jackie Baillie is.

Doubt they'd even get a beamer either

*adopts straight-face* :)

I would have thought that we would welcome all the support we can get, or is it only politicians from certain parties who are allowed to back us ?  Whoever pulls on the jersey and crosses the touchline should give and get 100%, and so it is with anyone who wishes us well.  As for the Trust, I'm a founder and always encourage people to join, but I also recognise that membership is not compulsory in order to support the Sons, and we should all respect that.

#broadchurch

13 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I would have thought that we would welcome all the support we can get, or is it only politicians from certain parties who are allowed to back us ?  Whoever pulls on the jersey and crosses the touchline should give and get 100%, and so it is with anyone who wishes us well.  As for the Trust, I'm a founder and always encourage people to join, but I also recognise that membership is not compulsory in order to support the Sons, and we should all respect that.

#broadchurch

Can't speak for any other posters, but I don't care which party either of the above belongs to.  I've never seen any tweets supporting us before from them, and I'm more than a little suspicious of their timing, so close to 2 separate elections.

Can't speak for any other posters, but I don't care which party either of the above belongs to.  I've never seen any tweets supporting us before from them, and I'm more than a little suspicious of their timing, so close to 2 separate elections.

Aye that was really my point. I just found the timing comical for that very reason.

If either of the two mentioned want to join the trust and fight for answers they'll be more than welcome.

The mp regularly tweets support for both us and the Bankies despite not being a football fan.

That's true. I notice he retweets many of DFCs tweets including youth stuff too as well as support for the bankies.

If it is for political points scoring It's definitely not as a result of the recently announced election.

Magnificent result today. Last week I thought we were in all sorts of trouble and again we pull an unexpected win out the bag. The attitude is clearly great and Stevie/Durrant seem to know how to get the best out the boys.
We are still right in amongst it and it looks like it will go down to the last game. A win or at least 2 points from the last 2 should be enough. Hopefully Dundee Utd continue their patchy form against us and Falkirk rest a few for the play offs!

A positive result for us next week could result in Falkirk clinching second place and then resting players against us the following week. A defeat next week would mean the battle for second going to the last game and a full strength Falkirk.