Sons' sorrow

I'd be astonished if Thomson gave it anything less than his usual 100% effort on Saturday.

A variety of things have been levelled at him so far this season by a number of folk, but lack of effort hasn't been and absolutely can't be one of them.

I'm sure he'll be looking forward to his move, but his professional loyalty is to us, so I presume that he'd rightfully look at it that the best way to impress his future employers and future fans would be to turn in his best display possible against them.

I can't believe someone even mentioned that Thomson might not be in the best frame of mind for this. As has been seen by the response to that post, the poster is clearly the only one thinking that.

In current form Thomson could make the difference in this and I'm absolutely certain he'll have no concerns about his future employers current league campaign and only when he a actually moves to them will he be concerned.

In fact I'm sure he would take delight in showing good form this weekend including hitting the winner that could be crucial.

As a complete side point to the Thomson discussion, what's the best result in terms of our survival bid in the St. Mirren and Ayr game on Saturday?

I'm torn, but I think a draw is best, failing that, a St. Mirren win.

St Mirren win best suits Dumbarton for me.

In my boredom, I've had a look at the remaining fixtures for the teams around us and tried to predict how they might go and what it might mean for us.

I've been as realistic as I can without looking at what's best for us, I've gone with genuine realism on what teams I think would get points from their remaining games.

RAITH ROVERS
(PLAYED 30, 33 POINTS)
Falkirk (A)
Dunfermline (A)
Morton (H)
Hibs (A)
St. Mirren (A)
Ayr (H)

Based on Raith drawing with Ayr on the last day and drawing with St. Mirren, they'd finish on 35 points. Their other fixtures are tough and I don't think I've been unreasonable in predicting they might not take any more points than that.

ST MIRREN
(PLAYED 29, 27 POINTS)
Ayr (H)
Dumbarton (H)
Morton (A)
Falkirk (A)
Dundee United (A)
Raith (H)
Hibs (A)

Based on St. Mirren beating Ayr and drawing with Raith, us and Dundee United, they'd finish on 33 points. St Mirren are on the up, but their other fixtures are tough to see them taking much from as far as I can see.

AYR
(PLAYED 30, 32 POINTS)
St. Mirren (A)
QOS (H)
Dundee United (H)
Morton (A)
Hibs (H)
Raith (A)

Based on Ayr drawing with QOS, Dundee United, and Raith, they'd finish on 35 points. I haven't rated Ayr when I've seen them and they have a relatively tough run in similar to us, and I think it could go right down to the wire between us and then if games go to form and neither manage to take too many points from their remaining games.

So based on the above, that would mean that we would need another 3 points (in addition to the point I have us down of getting at St. Mirren) which is a big ask, given our remaining fixtures. I remain confident we can do it, but it'll need us to go against the form book to take points from someone we wouldn't be expected to.

St Mirren win best suits Dumbarton for me.

I can see that logic, but it then brings St. Mirren closer to us which was my thinking in that we don't really want it to get any more closed-in than it is already, looking at our remaining fixtures.

Certainly an Ayr win is terrible for us, but I can see the pro's for either a St. Mirren win or draw.

21 hours ago, Rock Hudson said:

Would it be possible in this instance to appeal Flemings red from Saturday therefore making him available for the Morton game?

Appeals have to be lodged by 3pm on the first working day after the game so if it wasn't lodged Monday you can't do it now. And even if it had been lodged Monday, the appeal would be held Thursday and outcome known before Saturday. It's a nice dodge sometimes if you have a midweek game you want someone available for. Doesn't work between weekends (except at Xmas time).

20 hours ago, Consolidate said:

There's a cost involved in appeals though? In which case forget it.

There's a fee for the appeal (£250 at this level) which is returned if the appeal succeeds.

20 hours ago, The Moonster said:

If the appeal fails they also have the option of extending the ban as well. Best to accept it and move on.

I don't think they do. The additional punishment for a "spurious appeal" is an English thing (I'm not sure even they still have it), It's never been used in Scotland.

I can see that logic, but it then brings St. Mirren closer to us which was my thinking in that we don't really want it to get any more closed-in than it is already, looking at our remaining fixtures.

Certainly an Ayr win is terrible for us, but I can see the pro's for either a St. Mirren win or draw.

A draw gives Ayr another point, so only a St Mirren win makes sense for me.

I can just imagine the reaction from the likes of Sparky, Fleming, Buchanan, Carswell and Nade if Thommo went out and half arsed it.

These guys have no affiliation to the clubs they sign for (minus the odd guy like Prunty or Fleming) and probably wont bother their arse after they leave but they are a team unit who play for each other. The spirit and passion amongst the squad cannot be questioned and no player in his right mind would betray the trust or risk losing the respect of his team mates. The dressing room wouldn't be an enjoyable place for someone who wasn't pulling their weight, even that was for one match only.

Not that I think for a second he would half arse it. He's been excellent since I declared he was the weak link in our squad. Delighted he's proved me wrong.

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/news/15188821.Majority_shareholders_of_Dumbarton_FC_staying_silent_on_identity_of_private_investors/

Some strange comments yet again from the owners. "I think there are two other parties involved". Sorry, Chris Stainton THINKS there are two other parties? Surely as a main investor he knows who else is in his investment group? He says he understands our concerns but they've done absolutely nothing to settle them.

Why should their identities remain anonymous?

If it wasn't for the lack of transparency regarding their conduct there wouldn't need to be a major need for them to be identified.

But it's their making plans and being so cloak and dagger about it that's left the fans and public with a strong desire for them to be identified. What is there to prevent them from being identified, that's the question I'm asking...

26 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/news/15188821.Majority_shareholders_of_Dumbarton_FC_staying_silent_on_identity_of_private_investors/

Some strange comments yet again from the owners. "I think there are two other parties involved". Sorry, Chris Stainton THINKS there are two other parties? Surely as a main investor he knows who else is in his investment group? He says he understands our concerns but they've done absolutely nothing to settle them.

I doubt I'm the only one who genuinely cannot support the new stadium plans until we know who is behind them. If Brabco have nothing to hide they'll go public - after all, assuming they are being truthful, what they are claiming can only be good for the club and the area...

Good to see Jackie Baillie getting involved regularly too. I know she's not exactly the most popular down G82, but fair play to her for supporting the trust and the fans.

21 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

I doubt I'm the only one who genuinely cannot support the new stadium plans until we know who is behind them. If Brabco have nothing to hide they'll go public - after all, assuming they are being truthful, what they are claiming can only be good for the club and the area...

Good to see Jackie Baillie getting involved regularly too. I know she's not exactly the most popular down G82, but fair play to her for supporting the trust and the fans.

Got to agree on Baillie, I disagree with her on a lot of issues but we can't say she's not supporting us here, and she's entirely correct in everything she's saying. Adding her voice to the Trusts already loud voice is only a good thing.

The Trust have been up front and reasonable on every issue so far and Brabco have only dealt in contradictory statements and mystery. The fact they're yet to realise what this type of PR is doing to their project is astounding and worrying in equal measure.

Guest Flash
2 hours ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

So based on the above, that would mean that we would need another 3 points (in addition to the point I have us down of getting at St. Mirren) which is a big ask, given our remaining fixtures. I remain confident we can do it, but it'll need us to go against the form book to take points from someone we wouldn't be expected to.

Did you not take 7 points from the corresponding fixtures earlier in the season (excluding St.Mirren)? Falkirk may well have nothing to play for and be resting players before the play-offs in the last game.

I don't think it would really be going against the form book if you beat us again, given that we have taken 2 points from the last 5 games (and it would have been 1 point if the ref hadn't given us a dubious goal on Saturday). And we have won 2 out of 8 home games under Naysmith (2 out of 9 including losing in the Diddy Cup semi final).

Incidentally, we took 2 points from our remaining 6 games first time round. There is nothing to suggest we will take more than that this time. Indeed, it could be less.

Here is the other article on DFC ownership in the Reporter this week: http://www.dumbartonreporter.co.uk/news/15188738.Key_Dumbarton_FC_investor_avoids_Bankruptcy_Court_date_after_paying_out_of_court_settlement_to_HMRC/?ref=ar 

And the Lennox Herald on the identity of our owners (with a large quote from the trust on this again): http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/sons-fans-say-investors-should-10115477

I'm sure everyone will be devastated to learn that Mark Brown is officially away.

http://www.dumbartonfootballclub.com/news/?mode=view&id=2940

All the best to him in his retirement. Goalkeeper to Policeman. The guy must have parking warden next up on his wishlist :lol:

One of the worst signings of our Championship era IMO.

The fact he joined on a 2 year deal, having played at such a high level his entire career made his shiteness even more frustrating.

I haven't seen many players looking like they don't give a f**k when called upon but some of his performances earlier this season before Martin arrived absolutely reeked of a guy who genuinely didn't care.

Lest we forget him and his Mrs firing up the cryptic Tweets and Insta posts after he didn't even make the bench due to his shiteness.