Sons' sorrow

11 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I'm not so sure about that. Not much between the teams but home advantage means that Raith should win.

Dumbarton are at home, ya tit.

I think everyone needs to calm down about this Sparky incident and let the club deal with it. Chat of sacking players could be well over the mark. What if both players accept they're in the wrong, shake hands and forget about it, do we really need to see someone walk? I'd like to think we'll have a more measured approach such as perhaps fining them a couple of weeks wages.

If there is real bad blood between the two then someone will go, but it looked like a passionate reaction from two players watching a shambles unfold to me.

I see some Sons fans are trying to sugar coat this incident. Guys it was s clear headbut by Docherty on Carswell. The fact Docherty knew about Carswell's nose makes it even worse. It wasn't dealt with well on the day (wasn't dealt with at all). It is a difficult moment for the DFC management but the outcome should be swift. If it were my decision (based on what I witnessed) Docherty would be gone by Monday afternoon. 

I see some Sons fans are trying to sugar coat this incident. Guys it was s clear headbut by Docherty on Carswell. The fact Docherty knew about Carswell's nose makes it even worse. It wasn't dealt with well on the day (wasn't dealt with at all). It is a difficult moment for the DFC management but the outcome should be swift. If it were my decision (based on what I witnessed) Docherty would be gone by Monday afternoon. 

I've been as critical as most but there is absolutely zero chance Sparky walked up to Carswell, knowing his nose was weak, and deliberately stuck the nut in him in the hope he burst it.

No one is sugar coating it, you are dramatising it.

Thankfully it's not up to you. I don't think sacking players at this stage in the season is the way to go. It would escalate what Seems to be an already stressful situation. The players know we are in a scrap and I'm sure by today the 2 guys have made up and are ready to accept whatever fine/suspension comes their way.

1 hour ago, Rockstar said:

You say it wasn't dealt with on the day, but what realistically could the management have done? Carswell's nose wouldn't stop bleeding so we had to change him at that point. The management have also said they didn't see the incident. Are we expecting them to remove both our central midfielders 27 minutes into the first half when they don't really know whats gone on? 

Aitken has said in the press they'll look at the footage and take appropriate action. If they deem that it's a sackable offence then fair enough, I'll back him on that, but at this point I feel calling for the sack without knowing any background to the incident is OTT.

Tough one for aitken to deal with. From media coverage the incident is getting it looks likely docherty will be up before the sfa and facing a ban. If he is missing a chunk of the remaining games does that make decision a bit easier and he gets binned?

Surely they'd need clear footage of the incident to take action and dish out a ban? Does that even exist? It certainly wasn't clear on Pars TV.

The most annoying thing for me is not two players getting heated and clashing, it's the negative impact it had/will have on our squad. We had to replace a defensive midfielder with an attacking one after 20 odd minutes yesterday. You're also looking at Docherty being potentially suspended, who knows how many games that will be for, it may even come into play for the Ayr game where we already have Harvie unavailable.

Players clashing due to passion fair enough, players adversely affecting game plans and future squad selections is absolutely infuriating and I hope the two of them are well aware of that.

Trying to remain as optimistic as possible but we have a hell of a final quarter.  5 Away games and 4 at Home including Morton and Falkirk.  Some massive performances needed from the players.

Edited by sonsism

1 hour ago, sonsism said:

Trying to remain as optimistic as possible but we have a hell of a final quarter.  6 Away games and 4 at Home including Morton and Falkirk.  Some massive performances needed from the players.

Are we playing forty games a season now? The order we play isn't all that important. It's exactly the same for every club around us! 

56 minutes ago, microdave said:

Are we playing forty games a season now? The order we play isn't all that important. It's exactly the same for every club around us! 

Fixed! I'd say it's pretty important - I'd be a lot more confident of a result at Home to Hibs than at Easter Road.

Either way we're currently above the relegation zone so it's ours to f**k up.

6 hours ago, The Moonster said:

You say it wasn't dealt with on the day, but what realistically could the management have done? Carswell's nose wouldn't stop bleeding so we had to change him at that point. The management have also said they didn't see the incident. Are we expecting them to remove both our central midfielders 27 minutes into the first half when they don't really know whats gone on? 

Aitken has said in the press they'll look at the footage and take appropriate action. If they deem that it's a sackable offence then fair enough, I'll back him on that, but at this point I feel calling for the sack without knowing any background to the incident is OTT.

Background to the incident. Docherty stuck the head in Carswell. Dunfermline players seen it, I seen it as did many sons fans. Sure there needs to be an investigation but we need to have standards and zero tolerance of assault in the workplace.

I saw it as more handbags and had Carswell not already had a broken nose - which obviously proceeded to bleed badly again - then the players would have squared up, calmed down, shrugged it off and continued with the game.

I also believe that Aitken is doing the completely correct thing in taking his time, turning a blind eye slightly (even if he did see it at the time) to deliberate, watch the incident again and then take the required action. If he had just jumped in and made a hasty decision he may have later found out he had misjudged it or regretted the action(s) he had taken. It will be interesting to see what comes of it, but I think thus far Stevie is handling it in the best way possible.

13 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

I saw it as more handbags and had Carswell not already had a broken nose - which obviously proceeded to bleed badly again - then the players would have squared up, calmed down, shrugged it off and continued with the game.

I also believe that Aitken is doing the completely correct thing in taking his time, turning a blind eye slightly (even if he did see it at the time) to deliberate, watch the incident again and then take the required action. If he had just jumped in and made a hasty decision he may have later found out he had misjudged it or regretted the action(s) he had taken. It will be interesting to see what comes of it, but I think thus far Stevie is handling it in the best way possible.

You are quite probably right, but it also probably relates to Carswell as a person. For example I can imagine if somebody had stuck the nut on Sparky he'd have gone after them, even with a broken nose, same with the more aggressive guys in our team; Nade, Gaz, probably even Vaughan. Carswell (and, I'd imagine Stanton, Smith and some of the other less aggressive seeming types) would have reacted in a similar way of walking off, or needing the support of teammates and the management. I think the reaction is a very personal thing.

I'd like to think I'd fight back in that situation, but to tell you the truth I'd probably just go off in a big seething huff :lol:

I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room at half-time. Can imagine Durrant punting toasters, kettles and water bottles at heads.

It's despicable really and I'll be watching with interest to understand what comes of it.

There's no question that Docherty headbutted a teammate. At the very least I'd expect him to stand up and admit he embarrassed the club, irrespective of the circumstances and what further action Aitken / the board decide to take.

Having went from playing fairly well but gaining little points, we've now turned in crap and gained no points. Any kind of win will do against Raith. 

If both players admitted they were wrong, apologised to the squad, management and board and agreed to draw a line under Saturday, would people see that as a suitable way to end the incident?

I would.

Still massively frustrating that we could be looking at a Docherty ban and had to change tactics on Saturday but what's done is done. A fine would probably be acceptable but if the management and board are happy to move forward without one being dished out then fair enough.

The last thing we want at this stage in the season is creating more drama out of it.