Sons' sorrow

Scoring away from home has to be more encouraging bearing in mind we only scored 1 from Dec till end of last season and that was last day.

comparing points etc is largely irrelevant . Final position and position releative to this round about us all that matters.

2 hours ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Just checked the league table and despite us looking collectively as good as at any time in the last five seasons, we seem to be slightly running up a down escalator right now.  In a division which must already have broken records for draws, three points for the win has become massive.

Aye, absolutely.

I really hope that the 2 points dropped V Ayr @ home last week don't come back to haunt us.

Teams around us have games in hand on us, St Mirren have picked up form, Dunfermline too.

It's in our own hands though.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

Aye, absolutely.

I really hope that the 2 points dropped V Ayr @ home last week don't come back to haunt us.

Teams around us have games in hand on us, St Mirren have picked up form, Dunfermline too.

I'm pretty certain Dunfermline haven't won in the league since 7th January. Which was against Ayr...

ETA: there's a reason why we are now equal with them on points when they were quite a few ahead of us not so long ago.

Edited by squeezeboxson

8 hours ago, Silverton End said:

Aye, absolutely.

While I know what you mean, games in hand tend to mean less at our end of the table.

1 hour ago, Boghead ranter said:

While I know what you mean, games in hand tend to mean less at our end of the table.

Something from next Sat V Dunfermline would be great for us. Then onto Raith @ home. It's been an excellent 2nd half o the season, & good to watch Sons competing well,  for what it's worth, I think St Mirren  could catch Ayr, anyway no point counting chickens.

8 hours ago, squeezeboxson said:

I'm pretty certain Dunfermline haven't won in the league since 7th January. Which was against Ayr...

ETA: there's a reason why we are now equal with them on points when they were quite a few ahead of us not so long ago.

Dunfermline haven't won since January, and both Ayr & Raith are on 16/17 without a win. Contrast that to our current run of four unbeaten, averaging 2 goals per game in last 5.

We've done well to pick up points during an awful spell for our nearest rivals. More importantly we've played St Mirren, Raith and Ayr recently and haven't lost. Maintain the gap and chalk off another game.

The most positive aspect for me is that we're scoring goals and competing well. Stirling has been outstanding and helped us become a far more offensive outfit. We also have a settled back 4 which shouldn't be underestimated.

If we continue in a similar vain for the remainder of the season we'll be fine. I'm confident we can pick up more points than Ayr over the run in and although I expect st mirren to start getting results I think we've probably done enough to keep them out of reach.

The pars looked like a well drilled outfit last night at Easter Rd and will be a tough test but we should go there with confidence.

1 minute ago, Jordo1872 said:

Dunfermline haven't won since January, and both Ayr & Raith are on 16/17 without a win. Contrast that to our current run of four unbeaten, averaging 2 goals per game in last 5.

We've done well to pick up points during an awful spell for our nearest rivals. More importantly we've played St Mirren, Raith and Ayr recently and haven't lost. Maintain the gap and chalk off another game.

The most positive aspect for me is that we're scoring goals and competing well. Stirling has been outstanding and helped us become a far more offensive outfit. We also have a settled back 4 which shouldn't be underestimated.

If we continue in a similar vain for the remainder of the season we'll be fine. I'm confident we can pick up more points than Ayr over the run in and although I expect st mirren to start getting results I think we've probably done enough to keep them out of reach.

The pars looked like a well drilled outfit last night at Easter Rd and will be a tough test but we should go there with confidence.

Agree with everything you've said here Jordo! I've just said on another thread, of course if we were to lose the next three and St Mirren picked up say 6 points in that spell, the pressure would increase. But I feel like we should not be panicking yet because we are playing well and have shown against more or less every side that we can compete and take points from them.

I think we're closer to safety than some think. I reckon 2 wins and 2 draws from our last 10 will do it (or 8 draws, if you fancy backing our current form), that leaves Ayr needing 14 points from their remaining 11 games and St Mirren needing 18 from 12. They both don't sound too bad target wise but that would require a huge up turn in form, espcially in Ayrs case. 

Just keeping doing what we're doing and I believe we'll be fine.

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Agree with everything you've said here Jordo! I've just said on another thread, of course if we were to lose the next three and St Mirren picked up say 6 points in that spell, the pressure would increase. But I feel like we should not be panicking yet because we are playing well and have shown against more or less every side that we can compete and take points from them.

It makes last weeks collapse to Ayr all the more frustrating. Back to back defeats to ourselves and now St Mirren would've been a massive blow to their morale.

The only reservations I have is that we're still to go to both but agree that there shouldn't be any cause for panic at present.

I'll pin my colours to the mast now and say that 1 or 2 more wins will see us safe from 10th, probably from 9th as well if results elsewhere go out way.

Good post. The other point is how many times we are coming from behind to get something out the game or at least get back in it, I don't think players get enough credit for that. I can't remember who was in charge Paul Martin or Gerry McCabe but there was a long period where if we went behind it was all over. All the more impressive given the higher standard today.

I have a feeling that St Mirren will stay up as the injection of 10 new players during the window has revitalised them. Ayr look most likely to finish bottom as they are the worst championship team I have seen this season despite them beating us Three nil earlier in the programme. But the team who have really hit the skids are Raith Rovers and hopefully we can stay above them as well as overtaking Dunfermline who are definitely no better than us. I know we have still to go back to Easter Road and Tannadice but I honestly think that the boys have the ability and fighting quality to pick up points from those games.

The squad is small but Stanton on his day is a quality player Plus Carswell has slotted in as if he has been playing all season. In addition the Prince and Gary are always capable of scoring goals and Stirling is having a great second half to the season. All in all the positives outweigh the negatives and 40 points and safety are well within our grasp.