Sons' sorrow

See in the sonstv post game interview Aitken saying that players are beginning to ask about contracts for next season.

Aitken says that his own future has nt been decided and that for various reasons they cant yet speak to players.

There's a balance to be found here I think. We should offer terms to our better players just now and have everyone else playing for a contract. As we've seen with Robbie Thomson, players will be talking and commiting to other teams already.

I thought about who I'd keep from the squad, nearly all of them!

Isn't wise to wait until you know what league you'll be playing in next season.

Been mentioned on our thread by someone that we've apparently offered Stanton a contract for next season. Is he only on loan to you or signed by you at the minute?

I don't think you can offer him a contract as he's under contract with Hibs until (iirc) summer 2018.

I'd imagine they'd probably let him go for free mind you and, especially if you keep Hughes, I can see him fitting in quite nicely with you guys.

The only thing is that he would take Vaughan's position. I'm sure we'd be happy to extend his loan!

I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome of this season, Aitken wont be here beyond the summer.

What gives you that feeling?

I certainly felt his position was as close to untenable as could be after the result of which we shall not speak, but we've improved ten-fold not only in performances but more importantly results since then.

But I think now more than ever I'd be very disappointed if Aitken were to leave. If it were for a full-time gig I'd have no qualms, but I think he's slowly building something good with us and I'd like to see him in charge and continue to improve us. A number of players have improved or thrived over the last couple of months which gives me hope that there's potential for further improvement.

Just a quick one regarding the stadium. And please excuse my possible ignorance...

Did I read somewhere that if it's proved that the area floods more than every 200 years then legally it can't be built on?

If that's the case, surely it'll be found out when it gets to the nitty gritty. And if so, where does that leave the plans and more importantly, us as a club?

What gives you that feeling?

I certainly felt his position was as close to untenable as could be after the result of which we shall not speak, but we've improved ten-fold not only in performances but more importantly results since then.

But I think now more than ever I'd be very disappointed if Aitken were to leave. If it were for a full-time gig I'd have no qualms, but I think he's slowly building something good with us and I'd like to see him in charge and continue to improve us. A number of players have improved or thrived over the last couple of months which gives me hope that there's potential for further improvement.

I don't think he'd accept a deal, particularly if we stay up. He came a baw hair away from getting the bag IMO and I don't think he'll want to risk that again. The last thing he'll want on his CV is a sacking or a relegation.

I also think the stalling of offering contracts to the likes of Martin would suggest he's seriously considering his future. There's no harm in offering contracts based on what league we will be in, and I'm fairly certain if Stevie knew deep down he'd be here next season he'd be getting Martin tied up ASAP.

I may well be wrong, but it's just my gut feeling. I'd be more than happy to see him remain, whether we go down or not.

I have a feeling that regardless of the outcome of this season, Aitken wont be here beyond the summer.

I have that feeling too, and I also wouldn't be in the slightest surprised to see him at Raith come the summer.

All of that is based on my gut feeling though, I have no ITK info. I just think he'll feel as if he's done as well as he could with us, and will want to take the next step.

Similarly to leaving Stranraer for us Raith isn't a massive leap, but if he does well there he could easily find himself as a Premiership manager. Whilst if he fails he should get a club like ourselves (Alloa, Brechin, Ayr, Airdrie even) quite easily.

I don't think he'd accept a deal, particularly if we stay up. He came a baw hair away from getting the bag IMO and I don't think he'll want to risk that again. The last thing he'll want on his CV is a sacking or a relegation.

I also think the stalling of offering contracts to the likes of Martin would suggest he's seriously considering his future. There's no harm in offering contracts based on what league we will be in, and I'm fairly certain if Stevie knew deep down he'd be here next season he'd be getting Martin tied up ASAP.

I may well be wrong, but it's just my gut feeling. I'd be more than happy to see him remain, whether we go down or not.

Fair enough. I was just being nosey.

Regarding Martin, I fear you could be right. It's an easy cover up that it's best to 'concentrate on the run-in' etc, but there could be truth in that. Tying players up on longer contracts could subtract from their determination and give them security. Scott Chaplain springs to mind as I make this point.

I'm not sure he'd reject a deal, particularly if we do stay up. He's a promising young manager who to those looking in, has done a pretty decent job thus far. But what would his better options be?

Unless Raith came calling again, is there a better, more realistic proposition for him?

You're right he wouldn't want a relegation on his CV, but if he didn't want that he could just play it safe and be a League One boss. He doesn't strike me as the safe, settling type.

Fair enough. I was just being nosey.

Regarding Martin, I fear you could be right. It's an easy cover up that it's best to 'concentrate on the run-in' etc, but there could be truth in that. Tying players up on longer contracts could subtract from their determination and give them security. Scott Chaplain springs to mind as I make this point.

I'm not sure he'd reject a deal, particularly if we do stay up. He's a promising young manager who to those looking in, has done a pretty decent job thus far. But what would his better options be?

Unless Raith came calling again, is there a better, more realistic proposition for him?

You're right he wouldn't want a relegation on his CV, but if he didn't want that he could just play it safe and be a League One boss. He doesn't strike me as the safe, settling type.

I reckon he would bide his time until something cropped up, which will ultimately happen on a few occassions next year.

You could be looking at Duffy leaving Morton if he keeps up the good work, Hughes leaving Raith, Canning leaving Hamilton, Foran leaving Inverness and there's no guarantee Naysmith will last at Queens.I reckon he'd be in with a good shout for most of the above and I'm sure there will be others.

That's all total guesswork based on gut feelings. You may very well be right.

I reckon he would bide his time until something cropped up, which will ultimately happen on a few occassions next year.

You could be looking at Duffy leaving Morton if he keeps up the good work, Hughes leaving Raith, Canning leaving Hamilton, Foran leaving Inverness and there's no guarantee Naysmith will last at Queens.I reckon he'd be in with a good shout for most of the above and I'm sure there will be others.

That's all total guesswork based on gut feelings. You may very well be right.

Yeah that's fair enough, I suppose.

I'd imagine he might be in the running for those sort of jobs as the younger, up-and-coming manager/coach seems to be favoured these days among BoD's in Scottish football.

I'd be hopeful he'd stay on most reasonable situations, but you make decent points, it may well not happen. Let's just wait and see but stay up in any case and it gives us a better chance of retaining our much-improved management team and playing squad.

1 hour ago, Silverton End said:

tmp_23971-IMG_20170222_090417893~31708456094.jpg

tmp_23971-IMG_20170222_090428478~21634833781.jpg

As I'm sure you will all have noticed, the headline does not reflect the story or what I said (if it is read as implying some change of position by the trust).

I'll put something up on our website later today, but just to be crystal clear, what we are saying after this meeting about the new stadium proposal is what we were saying before it, and what we will go on saying until we see independently verifiable evidence that the plan is workable, sustainable for DFC, and what the majority of fans want. Namely: IF there is a win-win situation here (a new stadium which benefits the club, benefits the fans, secures our future and is good for the community of Dumbarton and its environment), that will get the backing of supporters, we are sure. But if not, it won't. It's as simple as that.

What we *are* very much up for, and have been asking for, is direct engagement with the club's owners and the club on the details of the plan, so that we can be confident in the appropriateness, viability and feasibility of what is being proposed. The meeting on Saturday - pushed for very hard by us, over a long period of time - was a significant step forward. But also a first step. For all concerned, the proof of the pudding is in the eating. 

My role is to reflect fans' views (which vary, but are universally concerned that this development doesn't leave us in peril) and to speak on behalf of trust members, who we continue to consult very closely on all this. Signs that the owners and the club want to, and are willing to, bring us on board much more are welcome. Ultimately, fans *are* the club, and we certainly want to be key stakeholders moving forward. We're going to try to be positive. But we're not issuing blank cheques to anyone. Nor is the club chairman.  

Any further questions I'll be happy to answer here, or via PM.

Best, Simon

Edited by TheFarPost