Sons' sorrow

Some comments about dwindling crowds at CID but looking at the 13 home league games this season, our published average is 1126*. In 2015/16 with Rangers and Hibs visiting after 13 home games it was 1107. In 2014/15 with Rangers Hibs and Hearts visiting it was 1065 after 13. In 2013/14 with Dundee as the biggest club in the league it was 893 after 13.
*One slight cheat is that there was no published crowd this season for the home game v Falkirk on 17th Sept so the average here is actually from 12 games.

Alloa bring about 50 away fans and Ayr bring 400, Livingston bring 200 and Dunfermline bring 500. The top end teams sell out anyway.

3 minutes ago, cameron2000 said:

Alloa bring about 50 away fans and Ayr bring 400, Livingston bring 200 and Dunfermline bring 500. The top end teams sell out anyway.

That explains the 343 and 562 crowds against Alloa and Livi respectively in 2013/14. It's a non-scientific comparison.

Any published attendance figures at the C.I.D stadium require a decent pinch of salt tbh.
I'm more concerned with the empty seats in the Home end.

The sooner we bring in the modern day equivalent of "gee us a lifty over" the better.
We need to figure out how we fund free entry for Under 16's or maybe U18' s for to keep the medium to long term future of club viable.
Maybe linked to one adult and 2 go free. Self funding in the long run in many cases.

46 minutes ago, Always the Sons said:

The sooner we bring in the modern day equivalent of "gee us a lifty over" the better.
We need to figure out how we fund free entry for Under 16's or maybe U18' s for to keep the medium to long term future of club viable.
Maybe linked to one adult and 2 go free. Self funding in the long run in many cases.

Absolutely agree.

7 hours ago, Always the Sons said:

I agree. We need to get people hooked when their young and not let the "fun police" have a go at them when their singing and shouting. 

Was it about 5 years ago we seemed to go through a purple patch of youngster and the Sons Army singing all the time, some on here may have been part of it. Growing up and having other priorities may have got in the way but I had heard they kept getting moaned at because they were to loud. That should have happened if true 

2 hours ago, Sons Fan said:

I agree. We need to get people hooked when their young and not let the "fun police" have a go at them when their singing and shouting. 

Was it about 5 years ago we seemed to go through a purple patch of youngster and the Sons Army singing all the time, some on here may have been part of it. Growing up and having other priorities may have got in the way but I had heard they kept getting moaned at because they were to loud. That should have happened if true 

Some of us are still here, and were still here before the Apache Army started, that started by chance rather than any sort of effort to make some atmosphere. A lot of the others as you say have families now and don't make many games.

On the subject of U16s, we had a fantastic season ticket offer on sale at the start of the season and I hear that uptake was extremely poor. I'm sure that ticket worked out at £5 a game and still we don't see many youngsters coming in. It's a problem but the solution doesn't seem clear to me.

Some of us are still here, and were still here before the Apache Army started, that started by chance rather than any sort of effort to make some atmosphere. A lot of the others as you say have families now and don't make many games.
On the subject of U16s, we had a fantastic season ticket offer on sale at the start of the season and I hear that uptake was extremely poor. I'm sure that ticket worked out at £5 a game and still we don't see many youngsters coming in. It's a problem but the solution doesn't seem clear to me.

We did indeed have a great offer on, and I too heard the uptake was poor.

In all honesty the problem goes further than just pricing. Our location is our no1 enemy, and 99% of people from the town prefer taking the short bus journey to Ibrox and Parkhead or slithering their way down to the Harp or the Masonic to watch them.

The local population don't give a flying f**k about us. You only have to look at the reaction when we appointed Durrant. Folk from Dumbarton wanting us to get relegated and wanting us to fold because we appointed someone who played for a team they consider rivals. I even seen Dumbarton supporters calling him a 'bigot' who 'shouldn't be near our club'. We are surrounded by fannys, even amongst our own supporters. Unless we hand out free brain transplants we'll just need to accept that.

I think one thing that would help is getting into the schools. Maybe sending one of our better paid/non full time working players along to host a couple of training sessions (we're paying some of these guys a mint, write it into their contract that they host 5 or 6 sessions over a season) with youngsters, offer out some free tickets to the kids who attend the sessions. That's much easier said than done, particularly for a club of our size with our resources but it's do-able. I got hooked on attending football through receiving free tickets at school and I'm still attending.

I'd agree with getting a few players to go into school. I remember when I was in P7 Derek Ferguson (aye, the guy who always sounds like he's struggling to read his own handwriting) came into my school and everyone was star struck. I've still got a signed post it from him somewhere.

He dished out some SFA stuff and (iirc) wee vouchers for money off Scotland U21 games which a load of people went along to.

Can only imagine what I'd have been like if it was the Prince who came in.

44 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I think one thing that would help is getting into the schools. Maybe sending one of our better paid/non full time working players along to host a couple of training sessions (we're paying some of these guys a mint, write it into their contract that they host 5 or 6 sessions over a season) with youngsters, offer out some free tickets to the kids who attend the sessions. That's much easier said than done, particularly for a club of our size with our resources but it's do-able. I got hooked on attending football through receiving free tickets at school and I'm still attending.

The trust has made such proposals in the past. They've not been taken up. The club has non-existent PR and a poor reputation at present. That can and must change.

We also need committed fans to get stuck in, too. The under-16 season ticket offer, which as people say was a great deal, produced a take-up lower than the number of fingers on one hand. There had been strong calls for the club to do this (which the trust took up), but then no-one responded when it happened.  It's this kind of thing that produces negativity towards suggestions for change, so it's a two-way street. 

The trust has made such proposals in the past. They've not been taken up. The club has non-existent PR and a poor reputation at present. That can and must change.
We also need committed fans to get stuck in, too. The under-16 season ticket offer, which as people say was a great deal, produced a take-up lower than the number of fingers on one hand. There had been strong calls for the club to do this (which the trust took up), but then no-one responded when it happened.  It's this kind of thing that produces negativity towards suggestions for change, so it's a two-way street. 

It's highly unsurprising to hear that we've approached the club with such an idea only to have it ignored/rejected.

There's some folk absolutely stinking the place out down there.

2 hours ago, TheFarPost said:

This is also relevant to the issue of going or staying: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbartons-iconic-whisky-tower-just-9832403 

I may be missing something obvious here, but why is it we are expected to pay for the waterfront path? I would've thought that seen as the council are pushing this and they need some of our land it would be us recieving payment rather than giving out money to cover it? There doesn't seem to have been any complaints from us over having to chip in for this which makes me think there's no issue with it, but I can't quite get my head around why we need to pay.

It's another £200K+ that we need to find. Highly doubt we or Brabco have that sitting around...

I may be missing something obvious here, but why is it we are expected to pay for the waterfront path? I would've thought that seen as the council are pushing this and they need some of our land it would be us recieving payment rather than giving out money to cover it? There doesn't seem to have been any complaints from us over having to chip in for this which makes me think there's no issue with it, but I can't quite get my head around why we need to pay.
It's another £200K+ that we need to find. Highly doubt we or Brabco have that sitting around...

Surely as land owners, we can tell them to ram it? They need our land, we don't need the walkway. I am absolutely astounded we have to fund a walkway that is of no benefit to us and that we don't require or need. I would have thought the ball would be in our court on this one.

Unless of course it's all part of the grand scheme to convince us we need to move.