Sons' sorrow

6 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I jest Simon. Although if you do require someone to take him on in a bare knuckle brawl, winner takes all type scenario just give me a shout.

:) Yeah, I'm not being a humourless git here...  But as we're half way between banter and comment, I just wanted to stress what this is all about from my/our POV. There are serious stakes involved. It's not simply a question of "if Brabco walk, everything's fine", as I think *some* people reckon. It really isn't. 

Rather than addressing the move on its own terms, does the Trust have their own alternative plan for the club?

Have you assessed whether a move (to any other location) is the best option or not? or what is the best outcome and how to make the most of it if we stay where we are.

I know there are plans already drawn up for Dalmoak but do you think there are there any other reasonable alternatives in or around the town?

Rather than addressing the move on its own terms, does the Trust have their own alternative plan for the club?
Have you assessed whether a move (to any other location) is the best option or not? or what is the best outcome and how to make the most of it if we stay where we are.
I know there are plans already drawn up for Dalmoak but do you think there are there any other reasonable alternatives in or around the town?

Why would the Trust have an alternative plan or assess a move to anywhere when we have absolutely no need to move from our current location and they are not the owners of the club?

This move is only on the table so Brabco can make money. Anything else about being bad neighbours, needing a bigger venue etc is bullshit. The move is a profit making move that is not required, at all.

24 minutes ago, Sons FC said:

I've said it before and I'll repeat it;  DFC does not require any relocation but Brabco certainly does in order to justify it's raison d'etre.  And I'd go further than that, the failure to properly maintain the current facility, allied to feeding the notion of the 'bad neighbour' into public consciousness has been part of a concerted strategy of building a case for a move.  And yes, a 'bad neighbour' does form part of Planning consideration, but the truth is that it has no basis in reputation or fact relating to the current site; and as has been already been pointed out, the football club was in situ before the adjoining residential developments - caveat emptor and all that.

Sure, we have a dip at one corner.  Can it be addressed ?  Yes.  Do we move house every time the kitchen ceiling forms a crack ?  As far as I'm aware all the other problems can be dealt with also.  All that is required is financial investment and the commitment to go with it; the current ground is (in my opinion) perfectly adequate for the needs of DFC right now and well into the future.  I would therefore ask yourself, why then do we need any alternative, reasonable or otherwise ??

And if you are being honest you'll reach the conclusion that many of us did some time ago.  Jessie J even sang a song about it....  

52 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've said it before and I'll repeat it;  DFC does not require any relocation but Brabco certainly does in order to justify it's raison d'etre.  And I'd go further than that, the failure to properly maintain the current facility, allied to feeding the notion of the 'bad neighbour' into public consciousness has been part of a concerted strategy of building a case for a move.  And yes, a 'bad neighbour' does form part of Planning consideration, but the truth is that it has no basis in reputation or fact relating to the current site; and as has been already been pointed out, the football club was in situ before the adjoining residential developments - caveat emptor and all that.

Sure, we have a dip at one corner.  Can it be addressed ?  Yes.  Do we move house every time the kitchen ceiling forms a crack ?  As far as I'm aware all the other problems can be dealt with also.  All that is required is financial investment and the commitment to go with it; the current ground is (in my opinion) perfectly adequate for the needs of DFC right now and well into the future.  I would therefore ask yourself, why then do we need any alternative, reasonable or otherwise ??

And if you are being honest you'll reach the conclusion that many of us did some time ago.  Jessie J even sang a song about it....  

Thanks for the responses O'K and BBPF.

Unlike O'KI III I have no knowledge of Jessie J songs - what is it?

Quick response on some of the above:

* Does the trust have a plan?  Well, three and a half years ago we produced the outline of a 'Vision Strategy' (discussed at two AGMs) which began the process of looking at how we want the club to move forward, and the role of fans as serious stakeholders in that. It was the beginning of a 'business modelling' project. Then the stadium move proposal came on the table, and we shelved the plan while we put our energy into dealing with that. But we have said (as I reported at the AGM on 11th November) that we need to get back to the business of looking at plan for different possible scenarios, and we intend to do so after the upcoming Trust Board meeting with Brabco. 

* Does the trust have any other plan?  Yes, to remind you, we are actively looking at transitioning the trust to a member-based  Community Interest Company, which would enable us to undertake social enterprise business initiatives and fundraising, and would also provide a possible model for the club in the future (a CIC is a private company which commits to operating in the community interest and has a legal lock on its assets for that purpose).

* Should we stay or should we go (the club re. the stadium, that is)? There are risks and advantages to both options, and the jury is still out. Both need some serious business planning, no doubt. Drawings and wish-lists aren't enough. We shouldn't move to a new stadium unless that can be shown to be workable and sustainable for the club. On the other hand, if the move doesn't come off, there are big challenges ahead too. I'm a little less sanguine than O'Kelly Isley III on that, but I won't get into all of that right now...

One thing is certain: a plan is needed. We are talking with the club about that. 

Simon

Edited by TheFarPost

37 minutes ago, TheFarPost said:

Quick response on some of the above:

* Does the trust have a plan?  Well, three and a half years ago we produced the outline of a 'Vision Strategy' (discussed at two AGMs) which began the process of looking at how we want the club to move forward, and the role of fans as serious stakeholders in that. It was the beginning of a 'business modelling' project. Then the stadium move proposal came on the table, and we shelved the plan while we put our energy into dealing with that. But we have said (as I reported at the AGM on 11th November) that we need to get back to the business of looking at plan for different possible scenarios, and we intend to do so after the upcoming Trust Board meeting with Brabco. 

* Does the trust have any other plan?  Yes, to remind you, we are actively looking at transitioning the trust to a member-based  Community Interest Company, which would enable us to undertake social enterprise business initiatives and fundraising, and would also provide a possible model for the club in the future (a CIC is a private company which commits to operating in the community interest and has a legal lock on its assets for that purpose).

* Should we stay or should we go (the club re. the stadium, that is)? There are risks and advantages to both options, and the jury is still out. Both need some serious business planning, no doubt. Drawings and wish-lists aren't enough. We shouldn't move to a new stadium unless that can be shown to be workable and sustainable for the club. On the other hand, if the move doesn't come off, there are big challenges ahead too. I'm a little less sanguine than O'Kelly Isley III on that, but I won't get into all of that right now...

One thing is certain: a plan is needed. We are talking with the club about that. 

Simon

Fantastic answer Simon.

Dumbarton FC belongs to its fans but sadly Brabco have the title deeds. The fans do the caring and the worrying whilst brabco do the plotting. How can a group who are paranoid about their secrecy honestly expect us to trust them.How can a company which hides itself in Belize expect us to believe a word they say?History has shown us what happened to Third Lanark and Clydebank. Is extinction the future for Dumbarton in the next few years?Brabco are not our saviours they are a millstone round our necks.

11 hours ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Dumbarton FC belongs to its fans but sadly Brabco have the title deeds. The fans do the caring and the worrying whilst brabco do the plotting. How can a group who are paranoid about their secrecy honestly expect us to trust them.How can a company which hides itself in Belize expect us to believe a word they say?History has shown us what happened to Third Lanark and Clydebank. Is extinction the future for Dumbarton in the next few years?Brabco are not our saviours they are a millstone round our necks.

Dumbarton FC can survive and flourish if we as supporters get behind a positive vision for the future, increase our stakeholding, engage responsibly and vigilantly with the owners, and work hard with the club to ensure that the right decisions are taken. That's what we're doing - together!  We don't need alarmism, we need commitment and a growing membership. Join us! https://sonstrust.wordpress.com/join-here/

All the best,

Simon

This from the Lennox Herald today. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-fc-fans-voice-fears-9817481

Actually we never used the word "fear". We're not frit!!  

But we did, rightly, talk about uncertainty and concerns, the need for key questions to be addressed, the need for engagement with supporters, the need for communication, and the need for a positive way forward.  

On 14 February 2017 at 12:05, Sons FC said:

Just realised I didn't answer this bit of your question. In all, 16 possible sites were assessed in terms of their suitability, and for a range of planning and allied reasons the Dalmoak site deemed the only workable one, and the only one identified for potential development purposed in the LDP. There's no reason to revisit that question that we as a trust can see. (This is one of a number of questions which have been asked and answered on numerous occasions, here and elsewhere, including at the two public meetings we've organised and the two public consultations,  over the past few years. Which is why we want to put together an updatable FAQ, to make sure everything that's known and agreed/not agreed can be more easily viewable by anyone who wants to know).

Simon

In the paper today there is an article saying that Alan Martin went to the club in November to ask for a contract renewal but right now no offer has been made.

Dear Mr Wilson

I'll support the new stadium move if you can arrange a new, long term, deal for Aldo.

Regards

Sonsteam

On 15/02/2017 at 09:03, TheFarPost said:

This from the Lennox Herald today. http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/local-news/dumbarton-fc-fans-voice-fears-9817481

Actually we never used the word "fear". We're not feart!!  

But we did, rightly, talk about uncertainty and concerns, the need for key questions to be addressed, the need for engagement with supporters, the need for communication, and the need for a positive way forward.  

Sorry Simon. Me at the proof reading again :rolleyes:

Some comments about dwindling crowds at CID but looking at the 13 home league games this season, our published average is 1126*. In 2015/16 with Rangers and Hibs visiting after 13 home games it was 1107. In 2014/15 with Rangers Hibs and Hearts visiting it was 1065 after 13. In 2013/14 with Dundee as the biggest club in the league it was 893 after 13.

*One slight cheat is that there was no published crowd this season for the home game v Falkirk on 17th Sept so the average here is actually from 12 games.

3 minutes ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Some comments about dwindling crowds at CID but looking at the 13 home league games this season, our published average is 1126*. In 2015/16 with Rangers and Hibs visiting after 13 home games it was 1107. In 2014/15 with Rangers Hibs and Hearts visiting it was 1065 after 13. In 2013/14 with Dundee as the biggest club in the league it was 893 after 13.

*One slight cheat is that there was no published crowd this season for the home game v Falkirk on 17th Sept so the average here is actually from 12 games.

We all know Falkirk bring 3200 with them to every game so that is a bit of a cheat Wilf.

That reminds me, you left a cable behind last week which I picked up on Wednesday night!