Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, pleslie99 said:

Am I right in saying we have won more points away from home this season than at home?
*sounds the SO8 stat horn*

Pffft, don't you think I've something better to do on my Saturday evening?

Nope, actually. I'm sat watching Race of the Champions on Sky. What a night.

Anyway, at home we've played 12 W3 D4 and L5 - 13 points

Away P2 W2 D2 L6 - 8 Points.

We have, however scored 15 away from home, and only 8 at the Rock. No team has scored more than 15 away goals in the league, only St Mirren have less home goals than us (6).

Wee thing that annoyed me from today's game...

The Barr/Harvie collision, I didn't hear any of them shout for it, I'd be expecting the experienced Barr to be screaming for that to be left for him.

Then when Harvie was clearly hurt, barr didn't go over see how he was, not a good example as a captain. Never been fully behind him as captain to be honest.

Was good to see that with 10 minutes to go we had 6 decent attacking options on the park at one time, when was the last time we had anything similar?!

Andy Stirling has been fucking outstanding recently, totally changed my opinion on him.

Andy Stirling has been fucking outstanding recently, totally changed my opinion on him.

Fully agreed.

I wanted shot of him in January, he looked like a lost little boy at times. Positionally he was all over the place, possession wise he was sloppy, he just looked like he was never going to cut it. I massively didn't rate him.

He looks like a different player these days and I'm absolutely delighted that he continues to prove me wrong.

4 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Just need Thommo to do the same in the 2nd half of the season...

That would be most welcome. Remember how good he looked early in the season? The goals against Cumbernauld and Motherwell were the signs of a player with real confidence, and his hold up play was pretty handy too. You can actually see his confidence draining as you watch him at the moment, and it's horrible because I genuinely think there's a decent player in there. It's just becoming more and more hidden in a sea of falling over, and tamely hitting the target with limp efforts.

On Stirling I agree with BBPF. His final ball still isn't great, but it's fantastic to see him actually running at players. His performance yesterday was exactly what I'd hoped we'd see from him, it was exciting, direct and dangerous. In some ways he's quite like Stevie Murray actually - but with pace and less stepovers. With him on form, Vaughan and Stanton we have three really good to watch players there. The goal was a good example of the link up play we were missing early in the season. Vaughan to Nade to Stirling, who runs at the penalty box and creates a goal for Nade. It might not have been glorious, but it was some pretty impressive football.

Harvie was poor yesterday, but I keep having to remind myself how young he is. He's two years younger than Donald McCallum - yet doesn't look at all out of place at this level. That's very impressive. Barr had his poorest game for a while, and I think that made the back four look a bit more shaky.

Looking at yesterday, it is pretty clear (as most of us thought beforehand) that Stanton shouldn't be playing on the wing. It gives Stevie a bit of a headache really with who he can pick in the midfield. Carswell has come in and I've been pretty impressed with him. Sparky has been easily one of our best players (especially in the last 5/6 weeks minus Morton. Then you bring Vaughan into it and we suddenly have too many players to all play in the middle of the park.

Ironically, the more I thought about things yesterday during the game, I wouldn't mind bringing in another winger. But hopefully Calum Gallagher can be the answer to that? Didn't show much yesterday, but didn't get much of a chance to either.

Another question, who would we play a RB if Smith ended up out now? Don't know much about young Lang, but can he play at full back?

11 minutes ago, squeezeboxson said:

Looking at yesterday, it is pretty clear (as most of us thought beforehand) that Stanton shouldn't be playing on the wing. It gives Stevie a bit of a headache really with who he can pick in the midfield. Carswell has come in and I've been pretty impressed with him. Sparky has been easily one of our best players (especially in the last 5/6 weeks minus Morton. Then you bring Vaughan into it and we suddenly have too many players to all play in the middle of the park.

Ironically, the more I thought about things yesterday during the game, I wouldn't mind bringing in another winger. But hopefully Calum Gallagher can be the answer to that? Didn't show much yesterday, but didn't get much of a chance to either.

Another question, who would we play a RB if Smith ended up out now? Don't know much about young Lang, but can he play at full back?

Lang can play at RB, aye. So I'd imagine it'll be him, or Barr will move there with Lang and Buchanan in the middle. Think Carswell has also played at RB in his time too, though I wouldn't want to move him from central midfield where he's been excellent in the past two weeks.

Stevie's post-match interview was pretty accurate I feel from yesterday. He spoke honestly and I agreed with much of what he said (a change from pressers' from the result of which we shan't speak of).

While we have now gone three games and got 0 points, yesterday I thought we played pretty well, if a little sloppy on occasion and I think if we play like that until the end of the season, the results will come and we will be fine.

Nade was good for the first hour, Smith again was very decent, Aldo made a couple of decent saves, and Stuart Carswell looks to be a find, giving a rigidity in midfield which we've all too often lacked of late. And Stirling too was excellent, so lots of positives to take as far as I'm concerned.

Raith vs Hearts went to a replay which will be played on Wednesday. Can think of worse outcomes...

Agreed.

Our preparation etc aside, we couldn't really ask for better with Rovers having done 90 minutes against an SPL side today, got the replay at Tynecastle on Wednesday as you say, and then a game again on Saturday. Let's hope we can take advantage and get something from it.

On 21/01/2017 at 21:05, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Pffft, don't you think I've something better to do on my Saturday evening?

Nope, actually. I'm sat watching Race of the Champions on Sky. What a night.

Anyway, at home we've played 12 W3 D4 and L5 - 13 points

Away P2 W2 D2 L6 - 8 Points.

We have, however scored 15 away from home, and only 8 at the Rock. No team has scored more than 15 away goals in the league, only St Mirren have less home goals than us (6).

Write out 100 times, I shall write the word less fewer times in future.

Edited by Howlin' Wilf

1 hour ago, Howlin' Wilf said:

Write out 100 times, I shall write the word less fewer times in future.

Spoiler

I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.I shall write the word less fewer times in future.

And if anyone can be bothered counting that then they are even sadder than me.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

Hopefully Stevie still has his eye on a couple of new additions before the deadline. With Brown liable to leave soon and Ewings and Gallagher long term injured it leaves a very tight squad of only 16 players to get us through some vital games in the next few weeks. Any more injuries or suspensions could really hurt the team badly. I don't know who is still available but the team is almost down to the bone.

On ‎22‎/‎01‎/‎2017 at 16:34, DumbartonTheSons said:

Stevie's post-match interview was pretty accurate I feel from yesterday. He spoke honestly and I agreed with much of what he said (a change from pressers' from the result of which we shan't speak of).

While we have now gone three games and got 0 points, yesterday I thought we played pretty well, if a little sloppy on occasion and I think if we play like that until the end of the season, the results will come and we will be fine.

Nade was good for the first hour, Smith again was very decent, Aldo made a couple of decent saves, and Stuart Carswell looks to be a find, giving a rigidity in midfield which we've all too often lacked of late. And Stirling too was excellent, so lots of positives to take as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not sure I agree with the general feeling that everything except the result was generally OK on Saturday.  Whilst the first half was even, had I been a neutral I would have thought that Queens created much more danger around our goal than vice-versa in the second period.  At times we looked ragged, and the build-up to the second goal was like watching the rerun of an old movie as Queens stretched us all over the park for about four minutes before finally opening us up (yet again) from our right flank.

And although he took his goal well, Nade's lack of mobility and seeming to play thro a first-half injury was a concern; it was significant that the first time in the game he broke clear to take part in a ground move the result was our goal - we need much more of that.  And the strange decision to play Sam Stanton on the wide right of midfield should be strictly a one-off, I would build our midfeld around a central core of Carswell and Stanton on the RH and LH respectively.

16 minutes ago, Scottylintonstowel said:

Hopefully Stevie still has his eye on a couple of new additions before the deadline. With Brown liable to leave soon and Ewings and Gallagher long term injured it leaves a very tight squad of only 16 players to get us through some vital games in the next few weeks. Any more injuries or suspensions could really hurt the team badly. I don't know who is still available but the team is almost down to the bone.

Stevie said in his programme notes that Jaz was back in training, but we've seen that movie before.