Sons' sorrow

2 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Interesting that Stevie said we might struggle to get Harvie and Joe Thomson till the end of the season. Harvie wouldn't be a massive miss for me but JT would. Hopefully we can keep both or we have more gaps to plug than we think.

I've no idea why we couldn't keep them both until the end of the Season, can't honestly see either of those two starting for their parent Clubs any time soon. They're both playing at a decent level for their abilities, maybe themselves or their reps are looking for them to move on to a 'bigger' Club than us. :(

5 hours ago, Silverton End said:

I've no idea why we couldn't keep them both until the end of the Season, can't honestly see either of those two starting for their parent Clubs any time soon. They're both playing at a decent level for their abilities, maybe themselves or their reps are looking for them to move on to a 'bigger' Club than us. :(

That's my worry, they want them to go to a full time side. I hope not but we'll need to wait and see.

I was in a junk/second hand warehouse place today and picked up an issue of Goal magazine.

Thumbing through it I came across the Sons' league placing that week in November 1973.

Eighth.

In the top Division.

The previous Saturday's results were given towards the end. Dumbarton 3-0 Motherwell.

The Sons team was given as Williams, C McAdam, Wilkinson, Menzies, Cushley, Ruddy, Coleman, Wallace, McCormack, Patterson, Heron. John Bourke came on as a sub for Peter Coleman and Johnny Graham for Brian Heron. Scorers were Heron, Bourke and McCormack.

Those were the days, eh? I believe we finished tenth that season.

Doubt we'll see their like again.

Edited by rockson
removing html coding

2 hours ago, rockson said:

I was in a junk/second hand warehouse place today and picked up an issue of Goal magazine.

Thumbing through it I came across the Sons' league placing that week in November 1973.

Eighth.

In the top Division.

The previous Saturday's results were given towards the end. Dumbarton 3-0 Motherwell.

The Sons team was given as Williams, C McAdam, Wilkinson, Menzies, Cushley, Ruddy, Coleman, Wallace, McCormack, Patterson, Heron. John Bourke came on as a sub for Peter Coleman and Johnny Graham for Brian Heron. Scorers were Heron, Bourke and McCormack.

We actually moved up to sixth the following week after defeating St Johnstone at home,

2 hours ago, rockson said:

Eighth.

In the top Division.

Aye, I remember it as if it were yesterday.  One of the best home performances in a period that produced many, we took Motherwell apart that afternoon.  Big Roy's goal was a peach into the Turnberry End, but I'm almost certain that very soon after he suffered his leg break.

5 minutes ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

Aye, I remember it as if it were yesterday.  One of the best home performances in a period that produced many, we took Motherwell apart that afternoon.  Big Roy's goal was a peach into the Turnberry End, but I'm almost certain that very soon after he suffered his leg break.

Might have been against Clyde at home in early '74. Came back too soon and was injured again in pre-season training I think that summer. Saw him in his comeback game against Celtic at Boghead which we lost 3-1.

We've been linked with josh todd in January, what like??

Absolutely nowhere near the level required for a team pushing for promotion. Been fairly average for us, albeit he hasn't been helped by being shunted around a lot.

I'd be astounded if it was any more than an agent trying to stir up some interest in his client. He arrived fairly contraversially by signing as an amateur to get around us having to pay a fee for him so he could leave whenever.

27 minutes ago, dundeeunited83 said:

Where does the boy actually play?

I think he played most commonly in behind the striker at Annan last season where he scored plenty. For us he's played mainly out wide, or in a deep midfield position. He's been pretty competent if unspectacular in both positions.