Sons' sorrow

There's no doubt that football is cyclical and we'll doubtless end up plumbing the lower depths of the league structure at some point. My frustration at the moment though, is that the current squad have shown they can compete with the better teams in the Championship - it just hasn't been on show in recent weeks and particularly last Saturday.

The challenge for Stevie Aitken now is to turn things around and I think he more or less has the resources at his disposal to do that.

Just now, Homer Sandoval said:

Accept that that success for the Sons comes in cycles and maybe just maybe the particular loop is on a downward trend. It happens. 

Success for all clubs comes in cycles. Look at Rangers, from 9 in a row to dead and from Celtic's bang average 90s to now utterly walking Scottish football. Then look at East Stirlingshire, they almost won League 2 the season we went up (which would've been a massive success for them) and enjoyed a couple of seasons doing fairly well with that investor chap. Now they are in the Lowland League and don't seem to be tearing it up. Similar story for Arbroath who had a great couple of seasons, were denied promotion by the Stephen Grindlay show and since then have been slogging it out at the wrong end of Leagues 1 & 2.

There is accepting that supporting any team is going to have its ups and downs, which I think we all do, and then there is becoming delusional. Thinking that nothing can change where we are, and it's fate that at some point we'll dribble back down to League 1 obscurity and we shouldn't be that bothered about it. We have better players on paper than they have shown us in the past year, but for whatever reason something isn't working. I think fans have every right to be angry about the performances and results this year (and it's not just this season, it's the full year of 2016) - just as I'd feel angry if we were in League 1, League 2, the LL, the Premiership or wherever and had turned in the same away performance ever second week for the best part of a year, scored just over 30 goals and conceded over 70 and had a manager with a book of excuses longer than most racing drivers!

I understand for outsiders looking in it can, perhaps, look as if everything has been fantastic for the past 5 years in this division, but it hasn't. There's been some fantastic performances, memories, players and runs that I doubt I'll ever forget, but since about January 2015 it's been getting flatter and flatter. In fact since the start of 2015 we have (according to my quick estimates) won just 14 league games. All but 3 at home. That's not the sort of record any fan or team wants to see.

Sure we should be happy that we're at this level, but that doesn't mean we have to accept turgid results, football and runs of form.

Accept that that success for the Sons comes in cycles and maybe just maybe the particular loop is on a downward trend. It happens. 

Are people not accepting that?

I've seen us finish 2nd bottom of the 3rd Division. I'm well aware of how football works. We don't need you spraying your wisdom and knowledge all over us.

I thought Saturday was bad and I sign on here and see folk wishing for relegation so we can win a few games. I just don't get it. If you want to watch winning football, sit in the pub or head to Govan or Parkhead. Unfortunately you've chosen Dumbarton FC. This is a club that in my lifetime has spent all of it's time in the bottom two divisions apart from a fleeting season in Division 1 where we embarrassed ourselves. We're now up here for 5th year running and we have folk yearning for yet more years of obscurity, travelling to the arse end of the country every second week. And who's to say we'll even do well when we go down? We could quite easily be in League 2 within 2 seasons with danger of dropping to the lowland league. Just about any part time side dropping out of this league has taken years to recover, Alloa excepted and they have an owner willing to raise and pump money into them. But it's okay we might win some matches. Baffling stuff, Sons fans.

As for the manager, those stats are damning but I agree that we probably can't afford to sack him. I do wonder if things get much worse if he'll walk, he's always said that he wants to go full time and having a relegation on his CV with us might hamper that (doing a Hartley, if you will). It's clear we have problems and the gaffer needs to put his "I'm your pal" act to the side and start booting the players arses. It's clear he has favourites in the team and he needs to put all that to the side and start looking at how we can win some games, fielding the same team every week and expecting different results is verging on madness. As said by OKIII, effort is the minimum required and there were too many on Saturday not showing that. Massive reaction needed.

1 hour ago, Homer Sandoval said:

Take a breath son, take a breath.

As I said, your passion in particular is refreshing - good to read youngsters having a real affection for their team. You support Dumbarton and as your own words above prove, following a wee team has its moments of relative glory and despair. 

The present plight could be a lot worse. The win-less away run and league position could be in fourth tier, not the second, so all I'm suggesting is a bit of perspective. Nine games in the campaign have elasped, not thirty-six. A bit to go yet.

It's extremely easy to be philosophical on a quiet Wednesday, but even for the very supportive group of fans at Dumbarton last Saturday was a crossing of the rubicon and seemed to crystallise what has been slowly evident and what, left unchecked, is about to unfold.

We can always accept defeat with good grace but Ayr Utd, like several other mid-order teams already this season, just had to be committed, motivated and reasonably organised to turn us over.  There are reasons for that, and that's what we're choosing to discuss and debate here.

There is a direct parallel with exactly five calendar years ago; at that time the club was able to effect remedial action but that doesn't look to be an option this time round.  Those 27 remaining games are looking like a sair experience in the making - not a happy prospect

Just now, O'Kelly Isley III said:

It's extremely easy to be philosophical on a quiet Wednesday, but even for the very supportive group of fans at Dumbarton last Saturday was a crossing of the rubicon and seemed to crystallise what has been slowly evident and what, left unchecked, is about to unfold.

We can always accept defeat with good grace but Ayr Utd, like several other mid-order teams already this season, just had to be committed, motivated and reasonably organised to turn us over.  There are reasons for that, and that's what we're choosing to discuss and debate here.

There is a direct parallel with exactly five calendar years ago; at that time the club was able to effect remedial action but that doesn't look to be an option this time round.  Those 27 remaining games are looking like a sair experience in the making - not a happy prospect

Plus our annual pumping in the first Scottish Cup tie we 'compete' in ;)

no way, should any sons fan consider relegation, yes, we are favourites, but we should all enjoy being as high up the Scottish leagues as possible,  I have to agree with moonster, when he says arses need booted, it will either mean a positive outcome, or a continuation of the dross that we are seeing at the moment.

Ok111, mentioned us not being a friendly club, and i think that there is a lot in that, I've heard players over the years talking about the board not being so connected with the football side of things, and more the business side, and have a lack of connection with the players, sounds a bit of drivel, but could it be that the players come in and do the bear minimum in terms of the club and the fans?

In terms of lack of resources, could we as a club, be approaching more local businesses for sponsorship, especially the bigger ones, chivas, aggreko?, or should they be approaching us

8 hours ago, optimistic said:

no way, should any sons fan consider relegation, yes, we are favourites, but we should all enjoy being as high up the Scottish leagues as possible,  I have to agree with moonster, when he says arses need booted, it will either mean a positive outcome, or a continuation of the dross that we are seeing at the moment.

Ok111, mentioned us not being a friendly club, and i think that there is a lot in that, I've heard players over the years talking about the board not being so connected with the football side of things, and more the business side, and have a lack of connection with the players, sounds a bit of drivel, but could it be that the players come in and do the bear minimum in terms of the club and the fans?

In terms of lack of resources, could we as a club, be approaching more local businesses for sponsorship, especially the bigger ones, chivas, aggreko?, or should they be approaching us

Having tried on several occasions I can assure you that Aggreko will not consider sponsorship as DFC falls way below their level for corporate involvement and exposure.  Chivas have been supportive over many years, but such has been the fawning towards them and deals agreed by club officials that I sometimes wondered exactly who was sponsoring who. 

Some of the smaller local businesses certainly do their bit by taking hospitality tables for example, and none more so than Alec Couper at CDI for his stadium sponsorship.  But as long as the perception of the club having the feel of being in a golf club, with too many people more eager to chivvy visitors than offer them a friendly face, persists it will continue to be difficult to attract many more sponsors than the committed.

A couple of DFC meeters and greeters at pre-match and post-match hospitality would be a no-brainer start.

Well, we can turn our attentions away from our totally shit football team and focus on our totally shit revised stadium plan - Eh, we're just making this up as we go along...

lol.

So we are considered a nuisance towards neighbours in our current location but we plan to fund the new stadium by building houses next to the stadium? Who the f**k will buy one of those?

I'll quite literally chain myself to the door of CID bollock naked before I will ever give in to these ludicrous fairytale plans.

Suck my baws Brabco.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Well, we can turn our attentions away from our totally shit football team and focus on our totally shit revised stadium plan - Eh, we're just making this up as we go along...

I can totally see people wanting to buy a house on a floodplain, in the middle of nowhere next to a football stadium. A public exhibition on the 11th - that'll be exciting. 

3 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I should add that the clubs communication around the progress of said fairytale plans has been utterly dreadful. A couple of meetings two years ago, a wee section on the site and f**k all else.

The fact we are finding this out from the Daily fuckin Record is criminal.

Agreed. But, as pointed out by OKIII a page or so back - the reason for this is because we are ran in absolutely bonkers way. We have the board members trying to run the club off the income available to them and the owners pressing on with stadium move plans, owners that would rather not have bought a football club. Communication between the two is obviously at a minimum or non-existent. I don't expect we'll hear anything from the club unless it's details of that consultation.

Given that the Trust have been on the ball with anything that has come out previously, I'd imagine they'll make a statement of some sort in due course.

There's nothing on the Official DFC site or SonsTrust site about the Bus time for Tannadice, has it been cancelled??

ETA those plans for the stadium have got to be fantasy.

12pm departure from the usual spot.

The time normally goes on the OS as part of the match preview. I got it from the Facebook invite thing which also confirms the bus will run, unfortunately.

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

12pm departure from the usual spot.

The time normally goes on the OS as part of the match preview. I got it from the Facebook invite thing which also confirms the bus will run, unfortunately.

Thanks for that.

"We have therefore identified that residential development at Young’s Farm is the only way in which the stadium development can be funded, and we have updated our proposals to make provision for this.”

or

"We have realised we do not have the financial clout to fund our fairytale but propose to press on regardless as a return on our investment is far more important to us than the future wellbeing of the club".

Brabco are in this to make money. Fair enough. But let's cut out the crap and tell it how it is please. Don't take the fans for mugs.

We're heading up the Clyde in a banana boat here; having sold the only paddle we had for a bag of magic beans.