Sons' sorrow

3 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Sorry, was just using the reserve league as an example as in terms of games for the parent club, it's only the other real option clubs have.

In theory, outwith a development league or a reserve league, there isn't much teams can do other than loan players out.  Colt teams in the junior game?  However, I can imagine that would be frowned upon like we are doing so with the idea of Colts in our leagues.

Get colt teams the f**k away from anything. I don't understand the reluctance to use the loan system more frequently. There's no cap on the amount you can loan out for a reason. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Get colt teams the f**k away from anything. I don't understand the reluctance to use the loan system more frequently. There's no cap on the amount you can loan out for a reason. 

Agree with you.  We've benefited from it recently with Craig Moore/Ross McCrorie/Scott McKenna as have many clubs as well as loaning players out who are now ready for first team action with ourselves.

A win would have been nice but a one nil loss to top of the table Hibs....  

From 5,000 miles away it is hard to tell but it looks as though we've got a pretty solid side.

We do but there is still a few things that need proven. First of all how will we cope when a team has wingers running at us? Hippolyte is average at best and he dominated Pettegrew. A week earlier a 17 year old from Morton did the same. V Hibs and Dundee Utd they didn't play with wingers and that suited us. Dunfermline played with 2 quality wingers against us and could of had 7 or 8.

I'm not sure if our squad has enough depth and this may be obvious later in the season. Personally I think with Stirling and Stanton our front line looks quite exciting.

Stevenson was too high up yesterday I think. While against Dundee Utd he played just behind Thomson and linked everything up, yesterday he was often beyond him or square to him making it hard for Gall and J Thomson to pick out passes.

On 10/09/2016 at 10:08, callum-ayr said:

We helped out a Junior team last year where we sent a bulk of our 20s plus coaching staff.  It saved Lugar from going under and in time gave them the chance to re-build and go it themselves this year.  We also had players out at Talbot/Cumnock/Glenafton etc and have done the same this year.  It's a great way to get the younger players not only development game time, but game time against more physical players.  In the last 6 months we've seen Mick Wardrope and Craig McGuffie break into the first team (players that were at previous mentioned Juniors) and do not look out of place in the Championship, both physically and technically.  Already this season a winger has been in and out the first team and there are one or two more who may manage to make the step up if needed.  The 20s side is a lot younger this year with a lot leaving in the summer and some coming in from other clubs and the majority moving up from 17s team.  Would recommend it to teams like ourselves.  Even a better idea for the Colt Premiership teams than putting them into the SPFL!

Here's the article regarding last years set up with Lugar - http://www.aufa.org.uk/2016/03/ayr-united-football-academy-partnership-with-lugar-boswell/ 

On 10/09/2016 at 10:18, callum-ayr said:

There's a club playing in it with a fair few Ayr United loanees so......  It does help that the Juniors is big down here in Ayrshire and we have the opportunity to send the players out on loan here.

In fairness, we seem to always have a decent setup at youth level.  Consistently in the semis and final of the Scottish Youth Cup over the last 5 seasons, beating the top teams and always challenging for the 20s title (will win it this year I reckon) and are far better than some of the full time teams in the Premier Development League, but that is a discussion for another topic on another day!

The option to do what you did with Lugar last season is not available to Championship clubs though and wouldn't be available to you now even if Lugar hadn't wanted to "go in a different direction".

You can't do Development Loans to Junior Clubs (only to clubs in the pyramid. You can loan to Juniors still obviously but only by proper loan. They can't also play for your 20's. There's a concession which allows League 1 and League 2 clubs to lend players to Juniors and get them back for 20's games with permission from the Junior side but it's not allowed for Championship sides. The players you have out at Juniors this year won't be allowed to play in the 20's team during their loan spells.

On 11 September 2016 at 14:29, Skyline Drifter said:

The option to do what you did with Lugar last season is not available to Championship clubs though and wouldn't be available to you now even if Lugar hadn't wanted to "go in a different direction".

You can't do Development Loans to Junior Clubs (only to clubs in the pyramid. You can loan to Juniors still obviously but only by proper loan. They can't also play for your 20's. There's a concession which allows League 1 and League 2 clubs to lend players to Juniors and get them back for 20's games with permission from the Junior side but it's not allowed for Championship sides. The players you have out at Juniors this year won't be allowed to play in the 20's team during their loan spells.

Ah would make sense that it's u17 players. Out of interest, Kevin Nisbet that we have on loan from Partick, whilst with us played for Thistle Colts in the cup, think a few other teams had players who done the same, what's the rule with that?

23 minutes ago, callum-ayr said:

Ah would make sense that it's u17 players. Out of interest, Kevin Nisbet that we have on loan from Partick, whilst with us played for Thistle Colts in the cup, think a few other teams had players who done the same, what's the rule with that?

If he's on Development Loan he'll be able to continue playing for Thistle's 20's whilst playing for Ayr at first team level. That includes playing for Thistle 20's in the Irn Bru Cup and if he did so he can't now play for Ayr in it.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Not much to talk about really. The goalkeeper debate is well and truly settled, our defence looks fairly solid (opening day at the Pars/diddy cup matches aside) and we seem to have some good options going forward, even if they're yet to fire home the goals for us. I assume the silence means everyone is pretty happy, and so we should be.

Defeat on Saturday and we'll be back to our loathsome best though, fear not.

Without doubt, Thomson can't do it himself up top, I'd probably start Fleming alongside him,  but not because I dislike Stevenson, quite the opposite in fact, but he may be better as an impact sub with his deliveries, and I'd like to see us bully st mirren with Garry and Robert