Sons' sorrow

7 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

Aye but you would pick a pair whose strengths compliment each other and suit the style of play you want.

you might not pick fraz and play a high line because of his lack of pace, unless his partner can cover for him.  You might not pick a centre back who cant pass the ball well if you expect him to have lots of it, such as durnan last week.

2 weeks ago we complained about stevenson playing cdm when we think he's better further forward but still central.

i like ben, i like bucky, im not sure that they'd work together or that ben would sign on loan to compete with our fittest and most consistent cb who also happens to play his preferred position.

Playing as a defensive mid or a No.10 are hugely different positions though. Playing at RCB or LCB is the same position, it just can catch people out who aren't used to having the ball more often on their weaker foot out. Ben's an experienced, and very decent, player at this level though and so I wouldn't expect it to catch him - or Barr when he returns to fitness - out at all.

6 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

If we were to have to left footed centre midfielders, would you play both of them together in cm?

Aye. We played Joe Thomson and Grant Gallagher in CM on Saturday and both of them are right footed (at least I think Thomson is) and that worked fine. No different with left footers.

Edited by Sonsteam of 08

49 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

If we were to have to left footed centre midfielders, would you play both of them together in cm?

Another pretty pointless statement. When did we last play with a left footed central midfielder in our starting line up. Do we have 1 single left footed CM? So as pointed out already, we have played with 2 or sometimes 3 right footed centre mids so far this season.

Honestly, you are at the wind up now eh?

During the, pretty fantastic, 2013/14 season - where we finished 5th and played some sensational stuff - we spent most of the season with Mark McLaughlin and Andy Graham at CB (both right footers iirc) and Chris Turner and Jordan Kirkpatrick in central midfield (both right footers).

Looking at the current squad; Sparky, Harvie and Wright are left footers, Andy Stirling seems pretty good with both and the rest (of the outfield players, Aldo's left footed as well) are all right footers I think.

On the Agnew subject, we actually (briefly) played him in CM alongside Darren Petrie who was left footed. I think Dylan Easton - who was also a regular in that team - was left footed as well, though he seemed comfortable on both. 

Last season we more often than not started with Lindsay/Gallagher/Routledge/Cawley in midfield, all of whom are right footed! It didn't work due to the fact Cawley and Lindsay were central players, but with more natural wide players it could work. Last week we had an all right footed midfield of Smith/Gallagher/J.Thomson/Todd, and that looked pretty handy.

Gal and Joe playing as 2 cdm's last week is not really a fair comparison as so much of their game was winning tackles and playing short passes to other players, as highlighted by other posters last week.

i can acknowldege that we 've played players with a bias to their right foot together in the past, but yet no one seems to want to acknowledge that having a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right brings balance.  

I've not yet seen bucky play on the left of defence and dont remember ben playing there.  So to get ben into our defence we either unsettle him or bucky.

Gal and Joe playing as 2 cdm's last week is not really a fair comparison as so much of their game was winning tackles and playing short passes to other players, as highlighted by other posters last week.

You're initial point was about playing 2 centre halfs together. The above statement could be applied to 2 central defenders, which completely goes against your initial point. Confusing.

In modern day football I'd expect a centre back to be able to play on either side. I don't think I've known or watched one who couldn't comfortably play on either side, ever.

54 minutes ago, sonsanorak said:

i can acknowldege that we 've played players with a bias to their right foot together in the past, but yet no one seems to want to acknowledge that having a left footer on the left and a right footer on the right brings balance.  

I've not yet seen bucky play on the left of defence and dont remember ben playing there.  So to get ben into our defence we either unsettle him or bucky.

When you're in a hole best to stop digging ;)

17 minutes ago, bigmacDFC said:

Ben Gordon played alongside Paul Nugent for us... Both right footed

He played alongside, and formed a very successful partnership in this league with, Jason Marr... Both right footed

That's a good point actually. I think he played LCB more often than not when he was at Alloa and playing against us. Can't really remember where he played last season against us.