Sons' sorrow

Good to see the level of interest and passion from Sons fans in the wake of yesterday's debacle, and we can only hope that the two Stevie's manage to rummle up the squad a bit. In particular we need to bolster the striking department, the pairing of Garry and Donald is unsustainable over the medium term.

I would, in all seriousness, go to the juniors and snap up the best striker there, what's the worst that can happen? Can't be worse than steven Ross or Craig, at least they will put in effort and be used to a battle

The worst that can happen is that he'd be fucking shite. We've been down the road of signing a Junior 20 goal a season player loads of times and they never, in the modern era, translate to being potent goal scorers in the professional leagues.

The worst that can happen is that he'd be fucking shite. We've been down the road of signing a Junior 20 goal a season player loads of times and they never, in the modern era, translate to being potent goal scorers in the professional leagues.

They could be shite but they would put in effort every week which is more than can be said for steven Craig who was signed with such high expectations. Going for old experienced duds or young up and coming loan signings is the same level of gamble IMO

They could be shite but they would put in effort every week which is more than can be said for steven Craig who was signed with such high expectations. Going for old experienced duds or young up and coming loan signings is the same level of gamble IMO

So you'd rather we went with a Garry Fleming or a Paul Maxwell? We already are going with Fleming and Maxwell scored one goal in an entire season in a shite Division Two for us.

If there was a striker in the Juniors who could bang them in at professional level then he'd have been picked up by now. Doolan was very much the exception, not the rule, and it took him a while to get established at Thistle.

Now is not the time to gamble on untested players from the amateur leagues, we need professional level players to shoot our way above Livingston/Alloa.

Completely agree about the media coverage of the big two compared with the other clubs, and it's something that I feel really strongly about as well. The issue is that the big media outlets say "you need OF stories because they appeal to the largest audience". True. However if we don't do anything to publicise other clubs, then they will never gain a larger audience, thus creating a self fulfilling prophecy.

The only small crumb of hope, and it is just that, that I can give you is that in my class at Uni there's only three (I think) Old Firm fans out of the twenty-five of us. Hopefully the sports journos of the not too distant future will start to give us diddy teams a wee bit more space in the papers and online.

In England they have a football league, and even non league paper on a Sunday. I'd love to see (or even do) something like that up here, with detailed reports, features etc about the Championship, League One and League Two equally.

I used to write for an SFL-only magazine publication. Think it disappeared again after two quarterly issues.

I used to write for an SFL-only magazine publication. Think it disappeared again after two quarterly issues.

Oh Aye, I vaguely remember something about that a few years back. Shame it never went further.

Anyway on the juniors debate, for every Garry Fleming, Kris Doolan or even Darian MacKinnon there's literally bucket loads of Tommy Coyne's and Paul Maxwell's.

This year I've seen quite a few Sons players produce some very decent performances - the likes of David Winters and Chris Craig along with Coyne - and I wouldn't fancy either of them back.

I get the point that's being made, about the players being fighters and willing to work their backside off etc. But the step up in class is massive, and if you look at the players who stepped up, they all took a while to adapt. Doolan went out on loan to Clyde and didn't score, Fleming took almost 6 months to score for us and Daz went to Ayr for a bit and then was in and out of the Accies team.

Ryan hardie From rangers? Scores a barrel load in the reserves. Doesn't seem to be in Warburtons plans.

Thought about him at the start of the year as well, apparently he was in Warburton's plans, but with them signing Forrester and already having Waghorn, Clark and Miller I'm guessing his chances would be limited. Would be delighted if we could get him, and with us still playing Hibs twice it's a deal that could suit both parties.

Thought about him at the start of the year as well, apparently he was in Warburton's plans, but with them signing Forrester and already having Waghorn, Clark and Miller I'm guessing his chances would be limited. Would be delighted if we could get him, and with us still playing Hibs twice it's a deal that could suit both parties.

Aitken was having a long conversation with him before the game on Saturday, could mean nothing though.