Depression

I’m usualky very careful with alcohol. Don’t get me wrong I’ll have a few on ocassion.

Few weeks ago I drank more than usual and with other meds I was taking  temporarily and my judgement and rational thinking exited the building and I did something if never ever dream of when well.

If you know your condition, limits and are sensible alcohol isn’t a total no no.

Welshbairn didn’t tell all depression sufferers that they should get pissed to help them through it, it was just one poster who was having problems keeping his friends from finding him boring.

I think it’s 6 weeks I’ve gone off the drink now and that’s the longest I have gone without a drop since I was about 16. If i turn to drink when in an unhappy place I get into a cycle of it being the only thing that i want to do, and will go through the phases of being hungover in the morning and then slowly getting over it through the day before I eventually decide to have another drink to escape it all for a few hours and repeat again and again. I have never felt that awful because of it, but it has felt at times that life isn’t real and that there is no other lifestyle that doesn’t involve alcohol in abundance.

When I’m in a good place like where I have been since starting my new job I find the only adverse affect it has is on my waist line and I don’t struggle to go time without it but I would always like to have my beer and wine at the weekends.

All in moderation but there are definitely some people who it just doesn’t agree with.

5 hours ago, throbber said:

Welshbairn didn’t tell all depression sufferers that they should get pissed to help them through it, it was just one poster who was having problems keeping his friends from finding him boring.

I think it’s 6 weeks I’ve gone off the drink now and that’s the longest I have gone without a drop since I was about 16. If i turn to drink when in an unhappy place I get into a cycle of it being the only thing that i want to do, and will go through the phases of being hungover in the morning and then slowly getting over it through the day before I eventually decide to have another drink to escape it all for a few hours and repeat again and again. I have never felt that awful because of it, but it has felt at times that life isn’t real and that there is no other lifestyle that doesn’t involve alcohol in abundance.

When I’m in a good place like where I have been since starting my new job I find the only adverse affect it has is on my waist line and I don’t struggle to go time without it but I would always like to have my beer and wine at the weekends.

All in moderation but there are definitely some people who it just doesn’t agree with.

Pretty honest and open post tbf

I almost forgive you for wishing me dead now :)

6 hours ago, throbber said:

It's not a case of coming across as boring, I just don't really feel like I care about anything or anyone enough to take a proper interest.

1 hour ago, Iminavest said:

It's not a case of coming across as boring, I just don't really feel like I care about anything or anyone enough to take a proper interest.

That's why we follow football, to have something to talk about.

3 hours ago, YHallSaint said:

I think im an alcoholic

35 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

How often are you drinking? And how much?

And more importantly why? Can you identify when it started?

I am an alcoholic but have not had a drink in over 2 years. I was not a jakey, bottle in a Brown paper bag, drinking in the park, waking up needing a drink “alkie” but alcoholic none the less.

PM me if you would like, I’m not an AA born again saint

Hi guys was aware of this thread's existence but never posted probably because I never felt my problems important enough and am happier lurking in the TV forum. Anyway, I've never been a confident individual and have had middling mental health at best and have a history of depression. A very close friend of mine died very suddenly at the start of the year and while you try staying strong for family who are obviously going through far worse than me it just got too much and the old feelings of worthlessness, anxiety and guilt came back.

I get that this is more anxiety and why would you post it on a football forum to be read by people you don't know? I suppose having a degree of anonymity makes it easier.

Have seen a doctor and do have family round me but flitting between feeling nothing/feeling everything and feeling completely isolated even though your surrounded by people is hellish.

8 hours ago, RosspCfc said:

Hi guys was aware of this thread's existence but never posted probably because I never felt my problems important enough and am happier lurking in the TV forum. Anyway, I've never been a confident individual and have had middling mental health at best and have a history of depression. A very close friend of mine died very suddenly at the start of the year and while you try staying strong for family who are obviously going through far worse than me it just got too much and the old feelings of worthlessness, anxiety and guilt came back.

I get that this is more anxiety and why would you post it on a football forum to be read by people you don't know? I suppose having a degree of anonymity makes it easier.

Have seen a doctor and do have family round me but flitting between feeling nothing/feeling everything and feeling completely isolated even though your surrounded by people is hellish.

Good that you've been to see the doc, mate - strong family helps too - hope things improve for you, bud. 

The past couple of Saturday nights have been very poor for me, and I was really struggling.

Last weekend I had a strange compulsion to drink, so ended up buying a load of beer. Knew this was a mistake as I try to not drink alone, and hadn’t done so in quite a while. Sat by myself and got drunk, and ended up in feeling awful, most of it self-loathing and despair. Did a very silly thing to myself. Felt dreadful on the Sunday as well. Felt better throughout the week though.

However this weekend I got the same compulsion. Ended up doing the same, buying a load of beer and sitting getting drunk alone in my living room. Starting feeling terrible, with thoughts of lonliness, despair and hate towards me for my failures and lack of mental strength. Thought about doing the same thing to myself that I did the week before, but only did it to a very small degree that I had done before, despite playing this song very loudly through headphones. Instead I decided to take a load of ibuprofen, aspirin and cold tablets, the thinking being that it would stave off the hangover and make me feel less worse the day after.

Ended up feeling quite ill, and at about 3am was sitting on the shitter when I spewed in to the bath, quite violently, bringing up a LOT (the bath is right next to the shitter in my small bathroom, so it was just a case of tilting over slightly whilst on the pan). It was one of the most disgusting things I’ve seen.

After cleaning up I went to bed. Felt not too bad yesterday, most likely down to spewing everything up, though still felt a bit dodgy and only ate twice.

Feeling much better today, but still knackered.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

The past couple of Saturday nights have been very poor for me, and I was really struggling.

Last weekend I had a strange compulsion to drink, so ended up buying a load of beer. Knew this was a mistake as I try to not drink alone, and hadn’t done so in quite a while. Sat by myself and got drunk, and ended up in feeling awful, most of it self-loathing and despair. Did a very silly thing to myself. Felt dreadful on the Sunday as well. Felt better throughout the week though.

However this weekend I got the same compulsion. Ended up doing the same, buying a load of beer and sitting getting drunk alone in my living room. Starting feeling terrible, with thoughts of lonliness, despair and hate towards me for my failures and lack of mental strength. Thought about doing the same thing to myself that I did the week before, but only did it to a very small degree that I had done before, despite playing this song very loudly through headphones. Instead I decided to take a load of ibuprofen, aspirin and cold tablets, the thinking being that it would stave off the hangover and make me feel less worse the day after.

Ended up feeling quite ill, and at about 3am was sitting on the shitter when I spewed in to the bath, quite violently, bringing up a LOT (the bath is right next to the shitter in my small bathroom, so it was just a case of tilting over slightly whilst on the pan). It was one of the most disgusting things I’ve seen.

After cleaning up I went to bed. Felt not too bad yesterday, most likely down to spewing everything up, though still felt a bit dodgy and only ate twice.

Hope you feel better for at least getting that all down on the page. It's tough reading to see you being so hard on yourself. Talking about failures and lack of mental strength is maybe a sign to broaden your horizons on what constitutes success. We can get railroaded into very narrow perceptions of success. Money. A fancy job. Many on here enjoy your postings and the way you give injustice both barrels but you beating yourself up over your perceived failings shows even you are not immune to being indoctrinated by our materialistic (and I included trophy wives in this) culture. 

There's other posters on here who clearly know you and have had a laugh with you and enjoy your company. You've posted stuff that's part of the folklore of P&B - you're a character. These are achievements too - you've enriched the lives of others. I certainly see you as a P&B justice warrior (maybe with one or two left field ideas) who is a valuable member of society and look forward to your continued warped musings. 

However this weekend I got the same compulsion. Ended up doing the same, buying a load of beer and sitting getting drunk alone in my living room. Starting feeling terrible, with thoughts of lonliness, despair and hate towards me for my failures and lack of mental strength. Thought about doing the same thing to myself that I did the week before, but only did it to a very small degree that I had done before, despite playing
very loudly through headphones. Instead I decided to take a load of ibuprofen, aspirin and cold tablets, the thinking being that it would stave off the hangover and make me feel less worse the day after.

Glad you’re feeling better today. You talk about mental weakness (or lack of mental strength) but can write down and post all the above - countless times I’ve written stuff down but never posted. I think you’re stronger than you realise.

I’m going through a tough period just now.

My work is extremely demanding and when I’m not feeling good I really struggle to concentrate and keep up with it all. The more I fall behind the more I worry and the worse my mental health gets.

I’m trying hard not to self medicate but all I seem to want in the evenings is a country me of beers to chill me out.

I feel like my career, and my life, has just stalled and I’m going nowhere.

Not sure if there is a point to my post I just wanted to get it out.

DA Baracus.... Basically what Shandon and NJ2 said. I've told you before I gauge folk on whether I would sit and have a pint with them and that I would be more than happy to have a pint with you. Your craic is good, your a bit quirky but that is to be embraced.

I am partly speaking from personal experience here but not in the same boat sontell me to bolt if I am way off the mark, but that last Saturday, is there any way that you had already decided in your head how that was going to play out and did it anyway? I do that sometimes. Like il fixate on a upcoming night out and decide I am going to get ripped beyond all comprehension, and despite knowing better, I will drink till I cant speak anymore. I have never known why. Seems tl be an occassional compulsion I get.

I know there is no easy amswer and no "chin up" to be had here. But based on postings here only, you are a good sort and thats the foundation you need to be building on because that is who you are at the core, not whatever you convince yourself you are when you feel like this.

34 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I’m going through a tough period just now.

My work is extremely demanding and when I’m not feeling good I really struggle to concentrate and keep up with it all. The more I fall behind the more I worry and the worse my mental health gets.

I’m trying hard not to self medicate but all I seem to want in the evenings is a country me of beers to chill me out.

I feel like my career, and my life, has just stalled and I’m going nowhere.

Not sure if there is a point to my post I just wanted to get it out.

Maybe think about a different job? Unless you think it's temporary thing and usually cope with it ok, even enjoying it occasionally.