Depression

Nearly a year since my dad died (24th). Now mum is toiling health and really missing dad. It always seems 1 step forward 2 steps back.

That can’t be easy capy. You can’t do anything but be there for her. I am still very sorry for your loss, I can’t imagine it’s getting any easier yet, but it will...honestly, it will.

Does anyone have experience with stress causing skin conditions. Genuinely unsure if I have any sort of depression or that, but theres a few plates spinning in my life atm and I know myself I am mega stressed out. Stuff hanging over my head with work that I cant really control but may lead to me having to find another job. I really dont want to though. Youngest bairn really not sleeping well so obviously we arent either. Anyway the underside of my right arm has broke out in an eczema looking effort recently.

3 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Does anyone have experience with stress causing skin conditions. Genuinely unsure if I have any sort of depression or that, but theres a few plates spinning in my life atm and I know myself I am mega stressed out. Stuff hanging over my head with work that I cant really control but may lead to me having to find another job. I really dont want to though. Youngest bairn really not sleeping well so obviously we arent either. Anyway the underside of my right arm has broke out in an eczema looking effort recently.

Stress can be a massive factor in skin irritation, yes. Psoriasis particularly is triggered by stress, as is acne and even cold sores and other forms of herpes. Your GP or pharmacist will be able to tell you how to treat it. 

Edited by Lisa Cuddy

That can’t be easy capy. You can’t do anything but be there for her. I am still very sorry for your loss, I can’t imagine it’s getting any easier yet, but it will...honestly, it will.

Sitting in A&E has mum took a turn last night. There are times when you just want to scream.

Definitely Psoriasis is increased by stress. Only ever had a break out of it once in my life and was under severe pressure at the time.

My mum had a endoscopy today they have given her the all clear but still need to find out why the blood loss. I am drained. So tired and I admit scared. I have to drive to Dundee as she is Ninewells. Just home and trying not to reach for the bottle.

15 minutes ago, capybara said:

My mum had a endoscopy today they have given her the all clear but still need to find out why the blood loss. I am drained. So tired and I admit scared. I have to drive to Dundee as she is Ninewells. Just home and trying not to reach for the bottle.

Dundee does that to a man!

Hang in there capybara.

Tempting as it is, the bottle isn’t the answer mate. Hope they find out what’s up with your mother soon, keep being there for her! My thoughts are with you, Capy.

Not having a good time at all at the moment.

For the last couple of months I've not felt right. Decided to go for the private counselling I mentioned previously and started that last month. I'm getting out things that I've never talked about before, which I feel you have to do if you want to make it work (although everyone's different). I've also been to a GP but wasn't prescribed medication (which at the time I wanted but now I'm not keen) but may have to go back as I'm feeling progressively worse. I've been constantly having suicidal thoughts the last week or so, and just generally feel like a wave of emptiness has washed over me.

I also had another attempt at starting a relationship go tits up a few months ago. It completely took me aback as things seemed to be going well. Now I've pushed her away as the nasty side of my personality convinced myself that she was using me for attention and she was to be avoided at all costs. The other side wants to talk to her.

I keep starting new hobbies and trying to set myself goals but now I just look at these as more things I can fail at.

4 hours ago, Jamaldo said:

For the last couple of months I've not felt right. Decided to go for the private counselling I mentioned previously and started that last month. I'm getting out things that I've never talked about before, which I feel you have to do if you want to make it work (although everyone's different). I've also been to a GP but wasn't prescribed medication (which at the time I wanted but now I'm not keen) but may have to go back as I'm feeling progressively worse. I've been constantly having suicidal thoughts the last week or so, and just generally feel like a wave of emptiness has washed over me.

I also had another attempt at starting a relationship go tits up a few months ago. It completely took me aback as things seemed to be going well. Now I've pushed her away as the nasty side of my personality convinced myself that she was using me for attention and she was to be avoided at all costs. The other side wants to talk to her.

I keep starting new hobbies and trying to set myself goals but now I just look at these as more things I can fail at.

I was the same. I have a trade in floor and wall tiling, but when I had a major breakdown I had to stop work. I've always been handy in working with my hands, but my belief in myself totally left me. My psychiatrist kept suggesting that I tried to do little projects just to get a bit motived.  After lots of aborted little projects, I started to build my confidence a  wee bit. I've progressed in the size and level of my projects. But, there are lots of times where I can't even look at what I've done without telling myself that I'm shit at what I've done and my as well give up. Thankfully, I do get back into it and finish whatever I'm doing off. My suggestion is to just start off really small on a hobby or project that you would like to try. And maybe not set any goals for something you want to try out. That may be putting a bit of stress on you. Just take your time. :) Look after yourself, mate. 

I just noticed this on the BBC site. I thought it was a bit interesting in regards to myself having Bipolar and my sleep patterns. Ever since I was really wee I've always been a night owl. My mum told me that she would find me looking out the bay windows into the street at 2 am. That was when I was 4. It's only since I've been on medication that I've been able to get something of a "normal" sleep pattern. Has anyone else had a problem with there sleep pattern through their lives? 

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-44113414 

On 5/14/2018 at 06:31, Bairnardo said:

I suffer from a wee bit of Rosacea that gets worse when under a lot of stress.

https://www.webmd.com/beauty/features/effects-of-stress-on-your-skin#1

Sf yes my sleep pattern has been terrible for years. Started with mrs. Rn #2 mental health issues meaning I was getting about 3 hours a night, working full time and effectively being a full time career. It did improve to about 5 hours a night after I came here, but recent shitty events have me back to about 3 again.

Sorry to read about the relationship breakdown Jama. I would try and talk to her, might not be interested but she might be. If you like her, let her make the choice. Hopefully the counselling helps and your feeling more positive shortly.
Monday and to a lesser extent yesterday I was very low, I had a dreadful sleep (again) last night but feeling a bit more positive today. Not sure why but trying not to question it.

On 13/05/2018 at 21:31, Bairnardo said:

I get relatively bad acne and get eczema on my hands/arms too at times, usually when I feel stressed it's at it's worse. GP gave me Lymecycline for the acne which works wonders.  There will be plenty creams they can give you for the eczema too, mine isn't really bad at all so I can generally suffer it for the few days it's there.

10 hours ago, scotfree said:

I just noticed this on the BBC site. I thought it was a bit interesting in regards to myself having Bipolar and my sleep patterns. Ever since I was really wee I've always been a night owl. My mum told me that she would find me looking out the bay windows into the street at 2 am. That was when I was 4. It's only since I've been on medication that I've been able to get something of a "normal" sleep pattern. Has anyone else had a problem with there sleep pattern through their lives? 

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-44113414 

My missus is like this.

She's bipolar, can sleep for days on end then up for a couple of days non-stop.  She's also rapid cycling bipolar so all the relative shit that happens in a very short timescale (hours typically).

The brain's a funny old organ.

Feeling it the past couple of days. Five months tomorrow since my dad passed away. I miss him.

Coming up on a year for me and that stopped me in my tracks briefly the other day too actually. For some reason I was sat in my living room and suddenly began picturing him sat where he would sit when he came to ours.

Done the first cut of the grass a couple of weeks back using for the first time the petrol lawnmower that was his. Reminders everywhere man.

I am a very private person emotionally, so in those wee moments when I get hit with a reminder I actually quite like to sit and dwell on it for a while.

If it helps, it does dull over time to some extent. Unbelievably whilst typing this I jjst realised its coming up for 5 years since my mum passed, and now I have less of those moments and less reminders of her in my day to day life. She was never in my current house, meber met my oldest daughter etc. Things change at such a frantic pace that its worth keeping hold of these wee moments of grief IMO.

3 hours ago, Gaz said:

Feeling it the past couple of days. Five months tomorrow since my dad passed away. I miss him.

I use the same technique I used in my early years of not gambling, I bat it straight out the park, I'll have plenty of time to reminisce when the time is right.