Depression

1 hour ago, capybara said:

Just a couple of months after my dad's death mum is in hospital with another Heart attack. I struggle at times to believe what is going on.

Best of luck with your mum. I hope she gets well soon. Must be a tough time for you. 

2 hours ago, capybara said:

Just a couple of months after my dad's death mum is in hospital with another Heart attack. I struggle at times to believe what is going on.

Best wishes Capy, hope all goes well with your Mum. Tough times- take care of you and yours.

Best wishes to you and your family Capy, that's awful news, I really hope she pulls through.

I've read a few posts on this thread where some are not sure about going to get help with their depression/anxiety.  A few years back, I was a real mess. Drinking huge amounts as a way just to get through my anxiety and depression. I also tried to kill myself a few times. My wife kept asking me to go and get some help, but, that was the last thing I felt like doing. After a while, I ended up going to the Dr just to shut the wife up. It was the best thing I ever did. I ended up seeing a Psychiatrist, who diagnosed me with Bipolar. I was put on meds, which made a huge difference in my life. In fact, It's saved my life, as I know I would be dead now If I never got that help. I've also been seeing a Psychologist, who diagnosed me with ADHD. That was only a year ago ( I'm 44 ). I was put on Concerta ( Ritalin ) and what a difference that has made to my life. It's not been an easy journey by any stretch of the imagination ( My psychiatrist increased my meds yesterday as I'm going through a bit of a low) but, It's been a journey that I would never have been on If I never went for help. So, if you are going through a tough time, I implore you to go for help. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have been diagnosed myself with depression in February this year but that's not the reason for this post.

Been awake all night after a truly awful evening/night last night. One of my best mates, that I met through work, has been a bit over the place in recent years. Nothing that I would say screamed he was having trouble with his mental wellbeing.

Two years ago he messaged me in a panic as he had got himself into debt and was terrified his wife would kick him out. I was able to lend him £500 to get him back on his feet and he paid me back over time. A year or so later he had gotten in to money trouble again(or possibly a follow on from previous occasion) but he told me he has spoken to his wife about it and her family had loaned them the money to pay off his debts. Early this year he was signed off for a couple of months with a back problem after falling on a stag do. A month ago we discovered he was no longer on the online phone book at work. When asked I never got an answer as to why, he would go off an a tangent or silent for a few days. Last night it came out to his wife/all of us he no longer works for the company. Hasn't done for a while.

I got a couple of messages from his wife and family to give them a call immediately when I got their messages around 6 last night. I called to be told that he had walked out on his wife and kid. Left notes for them and vanished. They got the police involved and lodged it as a missing person. The police were able to get in to his emails and found he was New York bound. My mate was on a plane of JFK International sometime yesterday. Left with nothing other than his wallet and passport. Notes were left for his wife, 5 year old son, other family, me and a few other mates. Not one person had any idea how dark a place he was in or what was going on in his life to the extent nobody knew he was even working. His wife included. His mum and dad are flying over there as I write this to a hotel they believe he is at to first make sure he is ok and secondly to get him home to hopefully get the help he needs.

I had been messaging him the night before and I got the strangest random message in between all the random shite we were saying which with hindsight was probably his farewell to me.

5e878e7cbe429374f55c22334229c371.jpg

I have been diagnosed myself with depression in February this year but that's not the reason for this post.

Been awake all night after a truly awful evening/night last night.

Firstly, sorry to hear about your struggles Adolfo. Hopefully you find a good way to deal with them and recover.
Quite the situation with your mate! Hopefully his mum and dad get out there, find him and can get him back with his family and the help and support needed. I can't imagine the place you have to be in to decide that course of action is the best.

Firstly, sorry to hear about your struggles Adolfo. Hopefully you find a good way to deal with them and recover.
Quite the situation with your mate! Hopefully his mum and dad get out there, find him and can get him back with his family and the help and support needed. I can't imagine the place you have to be in to decide that course of action is the best.

Cheers mate.

Thankfully he was denied entry to the US and his mum and dad are now with him. They are flying back tonight so it's all about getting him the help he needs. He's in a real dark place according to his wife when I spoke to her an hour ago.

Cheers mate.

Thankfully he was denied entry to the US and his mum and dad are now with him. They are flying back tonight so it's all about getting him the help he needs. He's in a real dark place according to his wife when I spoke to her an hour ago.

Might not seem it to him at the moment but getting denied access could be a blessing in disguise! Can't begin to imagine the place he's in when he decides that plan of action, and probably now feels worse it didn't come off and everyone now knows and had to get him. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and is in a better place soon.

35 minutes ago, Adolfo Rios said:

Cheers mate.

Acute help can be patchy but hopefully he can get access to care he needs even if that means being sectioned. 

Keep yourself well too though.

Might not seem it to him at the moment but getting denied access could be a blessing in disguise! Can't begin to imagine the place he's in when he decides that plan of action, and probably now feels worse it didn't come off and everyone now knows and had to get him. Hopefully he gets the help he needs and is in a better place soon.

Oh it absolutely will be a blessing in my opinion. I myself have went through cognitive behaviour therapy and it really has helped.

We are all just relieved it's not escalated even further.

Oh it absolutely will be a blessing in my opinion. I myself have went through cognitive behaviour therapy and it really has helped.

We are all just relieved it's not escalated even further.

Very true. If he did get in the US I'd imagine it could become very difficult to find him.
Glad the therapy helped you, hopefully your mate finds it good as well.
As Rowan says, make sure you're keeping your recovery as well mate.

5 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Has anyone tried 'Beating the Blues' before? Got encouraged to try it out by the doc but I've found it to be amazingly patronising and time-consuming tbh.

Never heard of it. What is it?

Hold up; is it the one that costs £50?! f**k that.

Edited by DA Baracus

17 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

Has anyone tried 'Beating the Blues' before? Got encouraged to try it out by the doc but I've found it to be amazingly patronising and time-consuming tbh.

Sounds like a poorly-chosen name tbh. I get that it's supposed to be catchy and they're just trying to use alliteration to sound positive, but the use of the word "blues" when trying to help people with depression is verging on tasteless IMO. 

12 minutes ago, smpar said:

Sounds like a poorly-chosen name tbh. I get that it's supposed to be catchy and they're just trying to use alliteration to sound positive, but the use of the word "blues" when trying to help people with depression is verging on tasteless IMO. 

You should see the graphics...

Some of it was so bad that I laughed; maybe this was the desired effect?

20 minutes ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

You should see the graphics...

Some of it was so bad that I laughed; maybe this was the desired effect?

I just had a look at their website. Leaving aside the horrid number of awful stock photos they've used, it looks like a fairly bog standard CBT course they're trying to flog. Speak to your GP instead and he'll refer you to one for free.