Belfast Council remove Union Flag

~~~

According to twitter is starting to kick off big time.

I do love the reports of the protesters demanding people respect the union flag while burning a tricolour

Sometimes being Scottish ain't all that bad :lol:

Being Scottish is fucking awesome

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have friends, acquaintances and work colleagues from Northern Ireland and none are bigots or idiots. It's blighted by the actions of these sorts of people. But you cannae beat a bit of hyperbole so crack on.

I'd go with that. The only people I know from NI are genuinely nice people who are great company. It's the minority OF-clad fuckwits that let the place down. Actually, that sounds familiar.

Some of the protesters who had gathered outside the city hall used metal barriers, bottles and golf balls to attack police.

Its all teeing off....

Anyone seen Rory McIroy in the last day or so? :unsure:

Fecking halfwits spoil a really nice country and the majority are good honest folk the same as us

Given they continue to vote for despicable sectarian-based parties at every election, that's not really the case. They may well be friendly in person, but their politics are vile.

Northern Ireland is a farce of a place, full of bigots and idiots who think that because one church shags kids and the other worship the union jack like a sky monster that they should blow each other to kingdom come. I really hope Scotland becomes independent and tells Northern ireland to do one.

Good point. It's not as if we have any of that sort of shit going on in Scotland is it? Oh hang on...

I've been. I drank in a pub that sold UVF t-shirts, stayed opposite a pub that had a cage on the door due to it being attacked a few years ago and got a free taxi journey because a taxi driver saw us straying close to an 'IRA stronghold' and offered us a lift back into the centre.

It's a bit crazy.

Where did you go? Wandering up Shankhill and towards Falls Rd per chance? Your story sounds analagous to someone basing their experience of Scotland on a pint they had in Sighthill.

I've been to the north a few times, it's beautiful and filled with some of the nicest folk you could meet. I reckon the majority of folk just want to get on with life, raise kids, go on holiday etc, same as the rest of us.

Then when politics/religion/tribalism comes into it, a wee chip inside their head goes off, and suddenly, they go batshit crazy. I'm beginning to wonder if education comes into it. You seem to notice the rioting going on in lower economic areas, with people that maybe haven't had the best of schooling, sweeping generalisation I know, but there must be a root cause of it all.

Then when politics/religion/tribalism comes into it, a wee chip inside their head goes off, and suddenly, they go batshit crazy. I'm beginning to wonder if education comes into it. You seem to notice the rioting going on in lower economic areas, with people that maybe haven't had the best of schooling, sweeping generalisation I know, but there must be a root cause of it all.

I dont get why those in their 20s would vote DUP/SF, other than the Scottish Labour excuse of "my dad does". However, for older generations growing up when you could get hauled off a bus and shot on your way to work, you can at least guess how difficult it is to let go of the siege mentality, particularly when stunts like this are pulled.

You maybe made a generalisation but I dont think its sweeping. Theres definitely a class aspect to the more extreme behaviour, as with bigotry here.

I can't understand why people would get upset over a flag. It's meant to be a nations symbol, one that belongs to all if us. It should be hung from buildings, national football stadiums, fire engines......

Archived